Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2017, 11:03 PM
Master Modeler

Nothing like the smell of old Monokote, fuel and Elmers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1408.JPG
Views: 25
Size:  286.0 KB  
Old 04-27-2017, 09:38 AM
BAR

I dunno... Glue threads are like asking "which is best-- blondes, brunettes, or red heads??"

I like all of em...

Different glue for different jobs...

Paper to paper joints white glue is best... Wood to paper and wood to wood yellow glue. Plastic to plastic, tenax usually, but not always... Plastic to paper, like wraps... It depends.... Hard to bond materials, usually epoxy, stuff when you need extra working time to get everything positioned just so, epoxy for sure.

CA strictly for hardening balsa, I never use it structurally for bonds... Shear strength is terrible and it gets brittle over time. Shorter the time on epoxy the weaker it is... Never use less than 30 minute...

Want a fin joint stronger than either the balsa or tube itself that locks then together near instantly? You simply cannot beat the good old double glue joint using yellow wood glue... The fin will snap or the tube delaminate before the joint lets go.... Like a good weld, no need in going for stronger when either the part or surrounding parent metal will break before the weld does...

Fillets--Titebond moulding and trim wood glue hands down... One and done, no drips, no sags, no voids... We finger makes perfect fillets in one app most of the time... No sanding required.

Later! OL J R
Old 04-27-2017, 10:30 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
ELMER'S ???????
C'mon Noww....
You MUST be joking....even if not, that's a BAD JOKE.

It will hold more than the paper or balsa it's bonding. It's only true downfall is that it will allow fins to get out of whack if they are laying down on the fins in a hot car or out in the sun. On a similar note, that downfall will actually let you align fins that you didn't get right the first time by heating them with a hair dryer, heat gun, or laying out in the sun and gently leaning the fins into position.

That said, I normally use Elmers carpenter glue on paper and balsa rockets these days because it sets quicker. I put it in a small Elmer's school glue bottle for more pinpoint application. I don't care for the large slotted bottles for delicate work. I get good fillets out of just about any glue I work with. About the only time I use epoxy on small rockets is with motor mounts that I think might stick before I get them placed.

Since white and yellow glues shrink, I learned to go a little lighter on motor mounts to minimize the indented rings on the BT. The mounts are still strong without huge fillets. If there's still an indented ring, it won't be bad and will easily be taken care of when I prime and sand. If I get stupid and dump in too much glue on the mount, a little bondo spot putty will make those indented rings disappear with minimal sanding effort.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:16 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Elmers becomes extremely flexible in hot solar radiation.
I have used it for attaching wraps and shockcord mounts, but nevef fins due to that reason.
I would NEVER consider using anything but Thin and Medium CA for construction of an R/C Kit except for attaching firewalls, wing-spars and joining wings. For that I use Epoxy. I never waste my time on the long-cure times of Elmers or Titebond for building aircraft and I don't know anyone that does. It makes a long build agonizingly long.
The first R/C aircraft I stick-built was in 1978; a Carl Goldberg Gentle Lady sailplane with a Cox Tee Dee .09 on a power-pod. I was 8 years old at the time. My instructor asked what glues I used and I told him 30min Epoxy for the power-pod firewall and the wing-spars where the panels joined and Titebond for everything else. He told me to stop using Titebond due to how long it takes to dry and reccommended Hot Stuff or Super Jet CA for future builds. Switched to CA (and it was EXPENSIVE back in '78) and never looked back. ALL R/C builders that have any sense build primarily with CA.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-27-2017, 01:00 PM
Master Modeler

I guess that is just a matter of opinion, the bottom line is the job gets done. I definitely don't have to prove myself, Ive posted all my builds, rockets, freeflight, Rc. I guess I could just sit back and criticize others and tell everyone I'm right and never post builds.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:13 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
I guess that is just a matter of opinion, the bottom line is the job gets done. I definitely don't have to prove myself, Ive posted all my builds, rockets, freeflight, Rc. I guess I could just sit back and criticize others and tell everyone I'm right and never post builds.

I tried to press the "Like" button, but alas, it isn't available. 😀

I too use many different glues, and just started using Mod Podge for papering fins. I don't paper all fins, usually simply-shaped ones, the most recent being a Der Red Max. This V-2 is my first rocket with papered fins. I made a one-piece cover with the sharp crease over the leading edge. I use either 65lb. cardstock, or 100 lb. Cardstock sounds heavy, these weights are really more like really heavy typing paper, and incredibly smooth. This V-2 may look a little different. I trimmed the stock oversized fins down to scale size. I also used micro rail buttons. My MakerBeam rail is laying next to the V-2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0242.JPG
Views: 19
Size:  1.07 MB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 04-27-2017, 04:21 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Default Look, a glue thread !

I've been waiting two days for it, but no one else has said it, so please allow me: "Look! A glue thread !"

How appropriate that I should allude to rmr on Throwback-Thursday

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 04-27-2017, 04:42 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams

I've been waiting two days for it, but no one else has said it, so please allow me: "Look! A glue thread !"

How appropriate that I should allude to rmr on Throwback-Thursday

Doug

I go back far enough to be an rmr'er, but probably so old I don't remember the glue threads. Does it make sense to make glue threads a "sticky"? Just wondering ....

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 04-27-2017, 04:42 PM
Master Modeler

Come on guys! You all know what the best adhesive is of all time!

Liquid Nails!!!!
Old 04-27-2017, 08:07 PM
Master Modeler

Another great glue Titebond Translucent.
http://www.titebond.com/product.asp...5c-77e7d85cf624