Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Craftsman

Default K-23, A Piece of History

Now here is a piece of history. I am guessing the buyer is NOT planning on putting this one together. That would be one expensive low-power flight, and could you imagine the sinking feeling if it CATO'd... Yikers.

Big Bertha

I currently have a new kit on the workbench and am still deciding on a finishing scheme. I really like the yellow scheme from the 70's, probably going to be the one I choose. Thanks to other threads on the finishing scheme I have that great summary pic of the different paint schemes. Grabbed the plans for the Super Big Bertha and am thinking of making that a yellow version also, perhaps a cluster even. Now if I am not mistaken that would make it a upscale Ranger correct? The ranger is just a 3 cluster BB unless I am missing something?
NAR #93503
MASA section 576
SAM #0316
Old 09-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.M.Knox
Now here is a piece of history. I am guessing the buyer is NOT planning on putting this one together. That would be one expensive low-power flight, and could you imagine the sinking feeling if it CATO'd... Yikers.

Big Bertha

I currently have a new kit on the workbench and am still deciding on a finishing scheme. I really like the yellow scheme from the 70's, probably going to be the one I choose. Thanks to other threads on the finishing scheme I have that great summary pic of the different paint schemes. Grabbed the plans for the Super Big Bertha and am thinking of making that a yellow version also, perhaps a cluster even. Now if I am not mistaken that would make it a upscale Ranger correct? The ranger is just a 3 cluster BB unless I am missing something?

Any kit that is pre Damon in good condition is worth it's weight in gold.

Pre 1969, as long as it doesn't say "Damon" on the package.

There has been many paint schemes over the years for the original Big Bertha, we also had the Maxi Big Bertha, Mini Bertha and the Baby Bertha.

The current paint scheme for the Big and Baby Bertha's STINKS, and I tried to get it changed, but, you can see that didn't happen.

Enjoy your Big Bertha......
Old 09-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
The current paint scheme for the Big and Baby Bertha's STINKS, and I tried to get it changed, but, you can see that didn't happen.

I have to agree with you there. I hate when they completely redo the paint scheme of a rocket. It's ok to tweak it a little in my opinion (like they did the Yankee), but the Bertha looks completel different. Heck, there's probably other pairs of 3/4FNC rockets out there that are supposed to be 'different' rockets but more similar than the current Bertha and the original or mid-80's version...

-Tim
Old 09-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
The ranger is just a 3 cluster BB unless I am missing something?
Basically, yes. The BB is nose blow while the Ranger separated just above the middle. I think the break was 8" aft of the NC, but look that up to be sure. If you don't break it there, that's OK. I wouldn't hold your feet to the fire on it, but some others might

Also, keep in mind the yellow Ranger scheme is a bit different than the yellow BB scheme. Besides the obvious red NC, the roll pattern was a bit different. I have the Ranger paint schemes compiled in a doc, but it's on my personal web pages which I can't reach from work right now

If you want it, ping me at doug dot sams at flash dot net and I'll email it to you.

Doug
Old 09-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Dazed and Confused

I know the Ranger breaks in the middle in order to have a payload section, but that's an awfully small volume for three charges to fill.....pow!
Old 09-20-2007, 12:44 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The Ranger is NOT a three engine Big Bertha.
The Big Bertha is a single-engine, no-payload Astron Ranger.
The Ranger existed 4 years prior to the Bertha.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The Ranger is NOT a three engine Big Bertha.
The Big Bertha is a single-engine, no-payload Astron Ranger.
The Ranger existed 4 years prior to the Bertha.

Did you forget your meds again?
Old 09-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Craftsman

Zonkers, did not mean anything by saying the ranger is a bertha or a bertha is a ranger... Just the similarities is what I was getting at. I'll just have to build both to original spec and then upscale them both to Super spec and the I have both. Course then I have to build the mini's and the baby's and perhaps the micro's and even the itsy-bitty-teeny-weenies just to make sure I got them all. Heck I'll just scale it to all the normal BT sizes and be done with it...

Anyway, I agree with the current schemes on the Berthas and that they stink. That is why I am looking at the early stuff for a good paint scheme. I am not a big fan of black rockets, pretty boring if you ask me. I just finished up a Sizzler build and had to finish it with the 'wild' theme of purple, yellow, and red. Much more interesting then that plain old black.
NAR #93503
MASA section 576
SAM #0316
Old 09-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Zonkers, did not mean anything by saying the ranger is a bertha or a bertha is a ranger... Just the similarities is what I was getting at.
But GH is right. The Bertha was born from the Ranger...at least, that's the way I heard it.

Doug
Old 09-20-2007, 01:54 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Now if I am not mistaken that would make it a upscale Ranger correct? The ranger is just a 3 cluster BB unless I am missing something?

Technically, the Big Bertha is a Ranger with a single motor. Vern has related the story of how he designed the Bertha during a building session of the Astron Rocket Club, by modifying a existing Ranger kit. He was initially afraid a single B.8-4 motor would not lift something as large as that. The B.8-4 was somewhat equivalent to current B4-4 and was the highest power single-stage motor Estes had at the time.