Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanHFox
I've heard it stated that, eventually, almost all writers end up "recycling" ideas of others...looks like this may be the case, even here.

RAH himself once said writers, him included, will rub the serial numbers off an idea and re-use it ad infinitum.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:45 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Default Mri

Seems like a good place to post these:

Below are a couple of MRI pieces. The first is an instruction card and nichrome igniter wire that came with their motors. Apparently there were 2 versions, one lightly larger. Pictured are the front and back. Both sizes are identical, except that on the larger card, both sides are printed in red.

The second is a detail of a MRI parachute that came with a kit I bought back in 67/68 from a Hobby Shop in Woburn, Ma. Not sure, but I think it was the Icarus. Very thick plastic, and I remember it being quite difficult to stuff into the min. diameter tube.

Sean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  MRI_Motor_Instr.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  212.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  MRI_Chute.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  191.3 KB  
SAM #0031
Old 07-25-2017, 09:00 AM
Master Modeler

The MRI kits I bought back in the day (from AVI) mostly had streamers. They were made of thick, hard-to-uncurl blue plastic. Really weird. I believe these came with the Zeus and Lepus

I have an MRI parachute; I think it came with the FLARE kit. Different color pattern.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 07-25-2017, 12:36 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
RAH himself once said writers, him included, will rub the serial numbers off an idea and re-use it ad infinitum.

Every time I see those initials, I pronounce it as the name Ra and think of Stargate SG-1.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:38 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I have an MRI parachute; I think it came with the FLARE kit. Different color pattern.

Dig it out and post a pic since it is different.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:04 PM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

Back in the day, I put in an order to MPC and purchased Flat Cat, Lunar Patrol, Flare Patriot, and Theta Cajun kits. They were all cool rockets that looked and flew very nicely. Also had purchased a few packages of MPC engines. Most worked well except for an A3 that CATO'd and destroyed the Lunar Patrol booster. I also purchased (from AVI) the MRI Icarus. That was a nice sport bird that flew very well. I believe I have an old pic of that one that I will scan and post if I can find it. Clone builds of all these rockets are on my shop docket, though I suspect most of them will be built with Estes body tubes and lathe-turned nose cones. I might have to do a small amount of scaling work to make them true to proportion.
A few years ago, late 1990s, I ran across a couple of MPC rocket kits at an antique mall in Colorado Springs. I kick myself for not picking those up.....

Check out my wonderful model rocketry blog here:
https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.com/
Old 07-25-2017, 08:43 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastfromthepast
A few years ago, late 1990s, I ran across a couple of MPC rocket kits at an antique mall in Colorado Springs. I kick myself for not picking those up.....
Mike,

At that time, had you seen "October Sky" yet? (I think it came out in late 98.)

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 07-25-2017, 09:42 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastfromthepast
Back in the day, I put in an order to MPC and purchased Flat Cat, Lunar Patrol, Flare Patriot, and Theta Cajun kits. They were all cool rockets that looked and flew very nicely. Also had purchased a few packages of MPC engines. Most worked well except for an A3 that CATO'd and destroyed the Lunar Patrol booster. I also purchased (from AVI) the MRI Icarus. That was a nice sport bird that flew very well. I believe I have an old pic of that one that I will scan and post if I can find it. Clone builds of all these rockets are on my shop docket, though I suspect most of them will be built with Estes body tubes and lathe-turned nose cones. I might have to do a small amount of scaling work to make them true to proportion.
Quest Aerospace http://www.questaerospace.com/ sells many of the MPC nose cones, transitions, and fin units, and all of the MPC-size body tubes.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 07-26-2017, 09:19 AM
Master Modeler

I cloned a MRI Lepus a few years ago, using the cone from my old MRI "Flare" and an actual MPC body tube. Sturdy as heck; I finally launched it on a C6-7 and it plain disappeared.

I have enough Semroc parts to make a couple of Lepus and Zeus clones. I believe I gave a set to SEL as well.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 07-26-2017, 11:19 AM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I cloned a MRI Lepus a few years ago, using the cone from my old MRI "Flare" and an actual MPC body tube. Sturdy as heck; I finally launched it on a C6-7 and it plain disappeared.

I have enough Semroc parts to make a couple of Lepus and Zeus clones. I believe I gave a set to SEL as well.

Yes, you did. The Lepus has been awaiting a paint job to quite some time now...
SAM #0031