Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Estes Re-release Saturn 1B ????

I was looking at an old thread from 2005 about a possible re-release of the Estes Saturn 1B.
I sent an inquiry Estes about the possible re-release of the Saturn 1B, Christine advised that it is under consideration, the time frame is unknown.
I don't know if it will be similar to the K-29 or 2048, I didn't think to ask.

I got a good start on the Semroc Saturn 1B, what a great kit, thanks Carl and everyone at Semroc. I'm hoping that Semroc will soon come out with a Saturn V.

On the build up fins on the Saturn 1B how does everyone keep from getting glue all over them? I guess I need smaller fingers.

genimijim (Jim)
Old 01-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by genimijim
I was looking at an old thread from 2005 about a possible re-release of the Estes Saturn 1B.
I sent an inquiry Estes about the possible re-release of the Saturn 1B, Christine advised that it is under consideration, the time frame is unknown.
I don't know if it will be similar to the K-29 or 2048, I didn't think to ask.

I got a good start on the Semroc Saturn 1B, what a great kit, thanks Carl and everyone at Semroc. I'm hoping that Semroc will soon come out with a Saturn V.

On the build up fins on the Saturn 1B how does everyone keep from getting glue all over them? I guess I need smaller fingers.

genimijim (Jim)

I wouldn't think that they would re-release the old K-29 since it is essentially the same as Semroc's version. The 2048 has been out of production a while and nobody is producing a 1/100 kit that I know of, so I'd imagine that would be the one they might consider. I hope so because maybe I could get them to sell me a couple of capsule/LES parts to rebuild my LES towers on both my old Centuri Saturns.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Master Modeler

Estes had the 1/100 scale Saturn 1-B on display at the Maker's Faire at Austin , TX last
October (among nearly 100 other models)....

I tried to do some "arm-twisting" on John Boren about the 1-B kit and others, but can't
make any definite conclusions as to whether or not they're going to be re-released. I can
sure "use" a new 1/100 Saturn 1-B to replace my Centuri kit, which is still "active" since
1971 but needs to retire .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Maker's Faire @ Austin (Estes-Cox) Volunteer Activity 003.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  84.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Maker's Faire @ Austin (Estes-Cox) Volunteer Activity 004.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  76.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Maker's Faire @ Austin (Estes-Cox) Volunteer Activity 027.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  63.1 KB  
Old 01-16-2008, 07:40 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Old 01-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Estes had the 1/100 scale Saturn 1-B on display at the Maker's Faire at Austin , TX last
October (among nearly 100 other models)....

I tried to do some "arm-twisting" on John Boren about the 1-B kit and others, but can't
make any definite conclusions as to whether or not they're going to be re-released. I can
sure "use" a new 1/100 Saturn 1-B to replace my Centuri kit, which is still "active" since
1971 but needs to retire .

I'm very surprised that Estes revealed anything ahead of time. When the Estes foru m was up and running, I couldn't say a word. I wanted to reveal the Red Max, but, was told NO, yet, it was put in the 2007 by mistake.

As far as the saturn 1 - B goes, here is some background info.
Saturn 1 - B
1229 Available 1967 - 1977 skill level 5
2048 Available 1991 - 1993 skill level 3 Retail 1993 $39.99

Only time will tell and it's only January.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
I'm very surprised that Estes revealed anything ahead of time. When the Estes foru m was up and running, I couldn't say a word. I wanted to reveal the Red Max, but, was told NO, yet, it was put in the 2007 by mistake.

As far as the saturn 1 - B goes, here is some background info.
Saturn 1 - B
1229 Available 1967 - 1977 skill level 5
2048 Available 1991 - 1993 skill level 3 Retail 1993 $39.99

Only time will tell and it's only January.

Bear in mind that many of the models I saw on display at the Maker's Faire were those that
were found in some back room somewhere in/on the Estes property, and were dusted off and put out for show. I was told that several "favorites" would be considered for re-release
but was given no specifics (other than the RTF/E2X night launch rocket that was mentioned
elsewhere, either in this forum or another).

I would assume that if what Estes said about their Wal - Mart sales is true, then the company should have plenty of capital to work with as far as the prospects of releasing
new (or re-released) kits from the past.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Master Modeler

That area is known as the prototype "graveyard". Prototypes and photo models
are kept there. I don't know why they would bring out old items, maybe to generate interest and see what customer think.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:59 AM
Wasted away again.......

I recall that there was speculation [fueled by Estes, I think] in February 2005 about a release of a 1/70-scale Saturn 1B. It was unknown if this was to be a re-release of the old kit in the "Classic" series or a whole new kit. It was a hot topic for a while but died out.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketcrab
I recall that there was speculation [fueled by Estes, I think] in February 2005 about a release of a 1/70-scale Saturn 1B. It was unknown if this was to be a re-release of the old kit in the "Classic" series or a whole new kit. It was a hot topic for a while but died out.

Yes, SEMROC's kit came into the picture.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Master of the Universe

Default Re-releases...good or bad?

Well,this sounds exactly like what happened to my other favourite hobby,R/C cars. I've been into that as well since '77 or '78,and some of the old Tamiya stuff is worth ridiculous amounts if you could find a NIP kit or parts. So would you say it's great that more people can enjoy some cool old stuff or that it ruins it for those that have originals? For instance,a Tamiya Lunch Box may have been worth $300,now it's like $89. The purist knows these are not the same but you can see what I mean,it's not so much the money as the "cool factor". Now,the whole reason I got back into this in the first place was by doing a search for my old KC-6 Space Shuttle,and my $25 Semroc version should be here shortly! I find lots of OOP stuff and you can be sure I'm snapping those up too. All I know is,you never launch anything you can't afford to lose.

Last edited by Rustee : 02-07-2008 at 09:34 PM.