Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2017, 11:01 AM
Retired Missile Technician

I have a copy of Alway's "Scale Model Rocketry" published in 1990. My copy has a blue cover with an Astrobee 1500 launch on the cover and is 160 pages of goodness. It appears to have some of the techniques for building models (and Dutch Boy paints reference), scale data like in Rockets of the World, but only three of the plans that mwtoelle mentioned (D-Region Tomahawk, V-2, and Aerobee 150A).
Perhaps Peter will give us some history on the various publications. I suppose I can go through the various magazines from '90-'94 when I get time.

Chas
Old 07-25-2017, 12:52 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlway
This sums up exactly why I haven't reprinted it. There have been a whole lot of new developments in the past 23 years (gulp! Has it really been that long?), and a lot of the sources and supplies quoted in the book have disappeared. To produce an updated version isn't just about writing, illustration, and layout, but it's about re-learning half the content in the book. I really haven't kept up-to-date with the technology (I have no clue how to do 3-d printing, or how to avoid the very real problems I've seen with it) but just as importantly, I haven't kept up with the model rocket marketplace or the outside-world marketplace.

One example that comes to mind is the current world of spray paints. My favorite dutch boy/K-mart paints, for example, no longer exist. I know that Krylon has been reformulated and people have trouble with it. Another example is the apparent disappearance of dry transfer lettering, replaced by computer graphics. Even vinyl lettering, which used to have clean die-cut edges, now has lumpy, raised laser-cut edges. ALPS decal printers which were apparently very nice and capable of wonderful results, have apparently come and gone.

The awful truth is that I'm no longer even qualified to write a book on scale model rocketry. I really don't have the time, energy, or money to develop the expertise to be qualified again.

On the bright side, I *am* working on some new scale data!

Peter Alway

While your book is somewhat dated, the mindset that it helps create is not. My son took my TAOSMR book's Aerobee 150A gap staged plan and built a gap staged Aerobee Hi just a few years ago. IIRC, I turned the nose cone for him on my wood lathe. However, the information about turning cones with a drill would be good for folks without a lathe.

Kit bashing and general part sourcing info can be covered by us folks at YORF. Several of the source kits you mentioned aren't in production anymore, but odds are there's a Semroc part or a newer Estes kit that uses the equivalent nose cone. If it isn't made anymore, several of us will have the part that we can measure, photograph, diagram, and dissect for the good of the project. Some folks even have extras that they might trade, sell, or even pay forward.

Maybe you could consider doing an electronic version with the customer's knowledge up front that it's a 20+ year old book. Without having to deal with printing costs, the E book would be inexpensive and you would probably still make as much per copy if not more. It's just a thought. I have my hard copy that I scooped up the minute you published it!
Old 07-25-2017, 02:26 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks guys for your support of good reasons to bring this book back in some form or another.
You all are lucky you have a copy and know how valuable it is. All of you have made good points of its worth.

I would like to see an E book. All of us could make a contribution to updating it here on this forum.

Please, Peter, give all of us who weren't lucky enough to have this nugget of gold of rockety history a second chance to have a copy of this book. As for as it being outdated. That's the copy I want. I want to know what was in its first printing.

Anyone who would like to see or have a copy of this book PLEASE let Peter know how you feel and how you would support him.

Once again Mr. Alway thanks for your contribution to this great hobby.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:17 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
I have a copy of Alway's "Scale Model Rocketry" published in 1990. My copy has a blue cover with an Astrobee 1500 launch on the cover and is 160 pages of goodness. It appears to have some of the techniques for building models (and Dutch Boy paints reference), scale data like in Rockets of the World, but only three of the plans that mwtoelle mentioned (D-Region Tomahawk, V-2, and Aerobee 150A).
Perhaps Peter will give us some history on the various publications. I suppose I can go through the various magazines from '90-'94 when I get time.

Chas

OK, here's the history. Back in the 80's, I first got involved with an NAR section, HUVARS. I discovered that there wasn't much scale modeling going on at the time, and I noticed that people in the club were impressed with my meager scale attempts. We had an old-fashioned typewritten, photocopied newsletter, and I drew up some scale plans. One book I owned, the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of space had a gorgeous full-page photo of the Saturn I SA-5, and I became obsessed. I wrote off to NASA using my physics department address (I was a grad student at the time) and they send me a set of 10 or 11 full-sized blueprints for a 1/48 scale model of the Saturn I. I turned them into a scale data article for the newsletter, and I was hooked. Later I located a professor emeritus at the University of Michigan who had worked on sounding rockets (V-2 and Aerobee) who had been ordered to dispose of a huge collection of files, and I snarfed up what I could. I also discovered a collection of NASA Technical Notes at the U of M library.

From all of those materials, I began to churn out lots of scale data drawings, and at about that time I discovered MacDraw II software at my day job. I was making drawings faster than our newsletter (T Minus 5) could publish them, and I was getting a lot of positive feedback from readers. By 1989 or 1990, I had a few dozen unpublished drawings, and had gotten lots of photos from NASA and NASM during trips to DC. So our newsletter editor, Mark O'Brien (who no longer flies rockets), and I decided to put together "The HUVARS Guide to Scale Model Rocketry."

The project grew from a collection of drawings to a 128-page (as I recall) book, "Scale Model Rocketry," with data for something like 45 or so rockets. That was the blue-covered spiral-bound book with the Astrobee 1500 on the cover. I also added some basic modeling tips and four model plans. Mark took care of the layout and working with the printer. We printed 600 copies, not really expecting to make our money back, but they actually sold out relatively quickly.

Once the book was out, I started to get offers of help from modelers around the country, and around the world, offering additional scale data. Within a few years, I had expanded it to nearly 400 pages, with over 100 rockets. That was the first edition of "Rockets of the World: A Modeler's Guide," the big black book with the Saturn V on the cover. That edition came in a soft-cover version with a wire binding as well as a hard-cover edition.

My next project, in the early 90's, was to revise and enlarge the modeling tips part of "Scale Model Rocketry," and a bunch more model plans. That was "The Art of Scale Model Rocketry," with a red cover and a photo of my 1/69 scale Saturn I (the same photo actually appeared once on the cover of "Sport Rocketry" or "American Spacemodeling" once. This is the book being discussed here.

Peter Alway
Old 07-25-2017, 03:22 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Maybe you could consider doing an electronic version with the customer's knowledge up front that it's a 20+ year old book. Without having to deal with printing costs, the E book would be inexpensive and you would probably still make as much per copy if not more. It's just a thought. I have my hard copy that I scooped up the minute you published it!

I don't have the original electronic files for this book--the layout was in Ready-Set-Go, and while it is possible the files exist, I don't have a machine that can read the disks or run the software.

That said, I would give the NAR permission to put up a PDF of a scan of "The Art of Scale Model Rocketry" for free download on their website if said pdf got into their hands (I don't have a functional scanner at the moment).

Peter Alway
Old 07-25-2017, 09:01 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I don't have the original electronic files for this book--the layout was in Ready-Set-Go, and while it is possible the files exist, I don't have a machine that can read the disks or run the software.

That said, I would give the NAR permission to put up a PDF of a scan of "The Art of Scale Model Rocketry" for free download on their website if said pdf got into their hands (I don't have a functional scanner at the moment).

Peter Alway

If I can get my heart rate to go down I will get this started.
First, off Peter, I can't think of a way to thank you for your participation and the great information you have shared with us in this thread. I'm sure all of us have enjoyed your insights.

So if I'm reading you right. It would be all right if someone on this thread could scan a PDF file of their copy and sent you a copy and you could look it over so you could send it to the NAR so they know it is legit with your permission.

Now is there anyone to volunteer to scan your book? If you send me a copy I can scan it, but I know that ain't going to happen. I feel the door is open on this and if we don't act the door may close and we may not get another chance. So I beg one of you make this 68-year-old man happy before I pass on and do a scan. PLEASE.

All joking aside I hope we can get something done on this matter.
I can't thank you enough, Peter. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:07 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Maybe you could consider doing an electronic version with the customer's knowledge up front that it's a 20+ year old book.
That makes the most sense.

My employer tries to update old application notes to reflect changes in technology. It makes me want to scream. I have app notes from our competitors which haven't been updated in 30+ years. Anyone reading one can clearly see the publication date and know they're gonna have to do some skilled foraging if they want to build any of the circuits inside

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 07-25-2017, 10:17 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
This sums up exactly why I haven't reprinted it. There have been a whole lot of new developments in the past 23 years (gulp! Has it really been that long?), and a lot of the sources and supplies quoted in the book have disappeared. To produce an updated version isn't just about writing, illustration, and layout, but it's about re-learning half the content in the book. I really haven't kept up-to-date with the technology (I have no clue how to do 3-d printing, or how to avoid the very real problems I've seen with it) but just as importantly, I haven't kept up with the model rocket marketplace or the outside-world marketplace.

One example that comes to mind is the current world of spray paints. My favorite dutch boy/K-mart paints, for example, no longer exist. I know that Krylon has been reformulated and people have trouble with it. Another example is the apparent disappearance of dry transfer lettering, replaced by computer graphics. Even vinyl lettering, which used to have clean die-cut edges, now has lumpy, raised laser-cut edges. ALPS decal printers which were apparently very nice and capable of wonderful results, have apparently come and gone.

The awful truth is that I'm no longer even qualified to write a book on scale model rocketry. I really don't have the time, energy, or money to develop the expertise to be qualified again.

On the bright side, I *am* working on some new scale data!

Peter Alway
There is an alternative: re-publishing "The Art of Scale Model Rocketry" as an ^historical^ work, with a one-page notice at the beginning that explains this, including the changes in kit and supplies sources. Many old books, even ones that are up to (and over) a hundred years old, are re-published in this way--at *zero* cost to the authors (or the other people who re-publish them)--as POD (Print-On-Demand) published books, through CreateSpace.com (see: www.createspace.com ) and Lulu.com (see: www.lulu.com ). I have a couple of such POD reprints of 19th century and early 20th century books. Also:

A good PDF scan of a copy of "The Art of Scale Model Rocketry" (plus a separate PDF scan of its front and back covers) is all that you need to POD publish the book. CreateSpace.com and Lulu.com handle all of the order-taking and shipping. They make a percentage on each book sold, and the rest of it goes to the author, who retains the full copyright to the work. Plus, CreateSpace.com--which is owned by Amazon.com--automatically advertises their POD published books on Amazon.com. Lulu.com does this as well, via an arrangement with Amazon.com, but Lulu.com POD published books must have ISBNs (which aren't expensive) in order to be eligible to be advertised on Amazon.com.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 07-26-2017, 12:48 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I'm on the road, so I cannot view my copy of TAOSMR, but I agree that I think it's mostly applicable today. It might be hard to get something like a specific nose cone to use, but I've got so many older kits and parts it does not really affect me. I'm also a woodworker with a lathe so I can turn about any custom part I need. Decals are a little tougher, with providers like Excelsior getting out of the business due to printer failures. I have been in touch with Tom Prestia of Tango Papa Decals. He is still in the business, but doesn't have any Internet forums or Facebook presence. He made me a set of upscaled Orbital Transport decals that are beautiful. He can do scaling and color changes. I'm not sure if he does any new/custom decals but he has quite a few decals available, and perhaps if anyone provided him graphics, he could print decals. One potential source I've yet to explore is vinyl from Stickershock23. Mark can do about anything custom you might need.

Peter,
Thanks for signing my copy so many years back! I also remember what a fun evening I had when I drove out to Ann Arbor to meet you, and we talked rockets until very late in the evening (early morning?). My copy is pristine. I never write in books, so it's not full of scribbling. If needed, I'll make a copy of a page to write notes, and of course, cut out patterns! If my copy could help, I'd be glad to scan it. Also, I'll never forget holding your Saturn I that's on the cover of the book. Fantastic model!

MarkB,

I couldn't laugh, but I can commiserate re: Dullcote, I have an Orbital Transport that I put custom green decals on, and it developed a brownish, streaky haze over most surfaces within about 2 years. I'm in the process of refinishing it. I just flew it twice last month, but it deserves to look pretty. That Dullcote experience lead me to Krylon UV-Resistant Acrylic Clear. I use both Gloss and Matte formulations. No discoloration in the 4+ years I've used it.

Regarding old paints, the old Krylon Interior-Exterior spray paint that disappeared in the early 2000s is available from internet distributors like Zoro. It has been rebranded Krylon Acryli-Qwik, and is apparently a synthetic lacquer and has properties like the old stuff. (If you've seen build threads by scigs30 here, it is his go-to paint. ) I just used cans of the old formulation I bought around 20 years ago. Most cans work fine. Beautiful, smooth paint jobs. A few cans I had were not cleared, and paint dried down inside the hole at the top of the can, and nothing could clear it. Not bad, most paint I have is tossed if I don't use it after a couple years. My particular favorite paint now is Rustoleum 2X. I also like their lacquers, but colors are limited to red, white, and black. Good news is they are compatible with the little Testors and Model Masters lacquers, so if lacquers appeal to you, these Rustoleum lacquers are great.

Speaking of Rustoleum, I've had great results with the 2X white, and it comes in Gloss, flat, and semi-gloss.

Here is my Super Orbital Transport, painted in semi-gloss. I usually use flat white. But with decals, I tried semi-Gloss instead. Applied decals, and used the Krylon Clear in Matte as overcoat. Here it is with my little one with the crappy Dullcote. The Super pic was taken the night before going to NSL -- still had not installed motor mount. She took 2nd in fierce competition against John Boren's BSG Viper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1162.JPG
Views: 28
Size:  656.5 KB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp

Last edited by LeeR : 07-26-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:57 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I'm on the road, so I cannot view my copy of TAOSMR, but I agree that I think it's mostly applicable today. It might be hard to get something like a specific nose cone to use, but I've got so many older kits and parts it does not really affect me. I'm also a woodworker with a lathe so I can turn about any custom part I need.

Peter,
Thanks for signing my copy so many years back! I also remember what a fun evening I had when I drove out to Ann Arbor to meet you, and we talked rockets until very late in the evening (early morning?). My copy is pristine. I never write in books, so it's not full of scribbling. If needed, I'll make a copy of a page to write notes, and of course, cut out patterns! If my copy could help, I'd be glad to scan it. Also, I'll never forget holding your Saturn I that's on the cover of the book. Fantastic model!

MarkB,

I couldn't laugh, but I can commiserate re: Dullcote, I have an Orbital Transport that I put custom green decals on, and it developed a brownish, streaky haze over most surfaces within about 2 years. I'm in the process of refinishing it. I just flew it twice last month, but it deserves to look pretty. That Dullcote experience lead me to Krylon UV-Resistant Acrylic Clear. I use both Gloss and Matte formulations. No discoloration in the 4+ years I've used it.

Regarding old paints, the old Krylon Interior-Exterior spray paint that disappeared in the early 2000s is available from internet distributors like Zoro. It has been rebranded Krylon Acryli-Qwik, and is apparently a synthetic lacquer and has properties like the old stuff. (If you've seen build threads by scigs30 here, it is his go-to paint. I just used cans of the old formulation I bought around 20 years ago. Most cans work fine. Beautiful, smooth paint jobs. A few cans I had were not cleared, and paint dried down inside the hole at the top of the can, and nothing could clear it. Not bad, most paint I have is tossed if I don't use it after a couple years.
Speaking of PDF scans of books, below are links to two such scanned books, which show how good they look—and how easy it is to “re-create them” as 'physical,' printed books at will (I have actual original copies of these two online-scanned books, which I was able to compare with the online PDFs). Depending on what Peter would like to do (this is "his baby, his decision," of course), "The Art of Scale Model Rocketry" could be reprinted either as a POD published book (from which he would make money--I'd gladly buy multiple copies of it) or online as a PDF, like the two books below. They are as follows:

“Nuclear Reactors for Space Power” by William R. Corliss
http://www.osti.gov/includes/openne...ace%20Power.pdf

“SNAP Nuclear Space Reactors” by William R. Corliss
http://www.osti.gov/includes/openne...%20Reactors.pdf

I hope this material will be useful.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR