Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Master Modeler

A rear ejection Iris?
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 05-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Banned

Silliness Alert!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Estes-Out-o...=item23104e3fb4

These things are worth what, $20 - $30 max or did I miss a memo?

Jonathan
Old 05-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Banned

Old 05-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro

Yeah, this one has been listed for MONTHS........and will probably continue to just sit there at that price.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 05-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Yeah, this one has been listed for MONTHS........and will probably continue to just sit there at that price.

Earl

Earl, John Boren, any other Estes employees reading this,

Estes really should adopt a policy similar to Wizards of the Coast and their collectible card trading games like Magic the Gathering and Pokemon: Don't re-release kits because it destabilizes the secondary market.

Now while Estes doesn't publicly push the 'collectible' angle today, at one time they did: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/no...a/77est012.html <--- Scout 'Sure to become a real collector's item'.

So what is the definition of a 'Collector's item'? Answer: Noun 1. collector's item - the outstanding item (the prize piece or main exhibit) in a collection ; a thing regarded as being exquisite or rare and thus worthy of the interest of one who collects such things - which also implies VALUE.

So at the VERY least, we should NEVER see a re-release of the Scout ... in theory.

Once something goes out of production, it should STAY out of production, otherwise why should I buy a kit today that I can purchase 25 years from now? Estes, you guys and gals might want to think about that and bring it up in your next staff meeting

Jonathan - helping business across America
Old 05-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Out to launch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
Earl, John Boren, any other Estes employees reading this,

Estes really should adopt a policy similar to Wizards of the Coast and their collectible card trading games like Magic the Gathering and Pokemon: Don't re-release kits because it destabilizes the secondary market.

Now while Estes doesn't publicly push the 'collectible' angle today, at one time they did: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/no...a/77est012.html <--- Scout 'Sure to become a real collector's item'.

So what is the definition of a 'Collector's item'? Answer: Noun 1. collector's item - the outstanding item (the prize piece or main exhibit) in a collection ; a thing regarded as being exquisite or rare and thus worthy of the interest of one who collects such things - which also implies VALUE.

So at the VERY least, we should NEVER see a re-release of the Scout ... in theory.

Once something goes out of production, it should STAY out of production, otherwise why should I buy a kit today that I can purchase 25 years from now? Estes, you guys and gals might want to think about that and bring it up in your next staff meeting

Jonathan - helping business across America

Do you really think that would stop the demand for the kits of original vintage? I don't, and it's made evident all the time on Ebay. People pay absolutely stupid amounts of money for original release kits that have re-re and re-releases available aplenty. Case in point:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Est...4#ht_720wt_1139
And it's a Big Bertha for god sake! I'll be curious to see where it ends up.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Master Modeler

Take whatever insights and apply them as you see fit, just not to the Mercury Redstone.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrog
Do you really think that would stop the demand for the kits of original vintage? I don't, and it's made evident all the time on Ebay. People pay absolutely stupid amounts of money for original release kits that have re-re and re-releases available aplenty. Case in point:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Est...4#ht_720wt_1139
And it's a Big Bertha for god sake! I'll be curious to see where it ends up.

Partly true............but the re-release of the Orbital Transport buried prices for those (they used to consistently go in the $200 range), and Semroc's introduction of their Mars Lander did the same to the prices of the vintage Estes kits (again, they used to get $200 and up, now $100 is pretty much the ceiling).
Old 05-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Banned

OK I did a lousy job of getting my point across:

Point: If Estes wants to sell rockets and call them 'Collector Kits', then Estes should take an active role in not re-releasing kits and spoil the secondary market!

Yes, Mojo is correct about pricing before and after on the kits he mentioned.

I got into a bid war back in 1997 with Tim Joyce over a sealed Mars Lander. In the end it cost me $300+ ... today I would be LUCKY if I could sell that kit on ebay for anything over $100

I say Estes should just focus on bringing innovation to the hobby and let the collectors sort out what is of value and what is not.

John Boren and the rest of the Estes crew read our posts about how we want the Little Joe II back or the Andromeda or the Pershing 1A, and they may or may not take that into consideration for product release ... I say let the Estes crew worry about the current market place, and we collectors worry about the old market place ... then both sides are happy

Jonathan
Old 05-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Master Modeler

Collectors buy packaging. A re-release should not provide too great an impact on the "collector" market since it is the original release which holds the value. Since a re-release does not impact upon the scarcity of the original format of the release (for example a MIB Little Joe II) should retain the collectible value even if the model was to be re-released tomorrow. The builder may be unwilling to pay a premium price for the olds version, but a first issue should retain value for the collector.