Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2016, 04:40 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

The molding is interesting. The nozzle and casing are one unit and the bulkhead another. The grain geometry is a direct copy of the long released U.S. Rockets F40/F80. 2x1.25x5/16C. The gain liner Estes used was launch lug material (mylar and glassine) which probably cuts better with a knife than paper. I had to make a custom machine to make it right.

The bulkhead is retained with a 2mm wide ring of epoxy to absolutely minimize resource use. The delay is swaged into place in the plastic molded bulkhead. The ejection cap inserts into the top with a smooth pressing action leaving just the right amount of space for the BP ejection that is is not dislodged from the transfer holes on deceleration.

The diameter is set to correctly receive the somewhat thick mylar label.

I am attaching some photos. The nozzle part I cut off and the propellant grains are elsewhere.

Before setting on Vulcan to supply propellant, they approached UPCo and ATK. They had difficulty with the quantity and cost requirement on so many small grains. Scott Dixon came in within budget and quantity. I presume most of it was destroyed for tax reasons by Tunik.

Dixon went to a Russia trip with his initial deposit on the transaction.

Tech Jerry

The first two photos are side views. One at the ejection end and one down inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_6172.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  160.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_6173.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  146.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_6174.JPG
Views: 49
Size:  66.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_6175.JPG
Views: 48
Size:  80.0 KB  

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 04-06-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:04 PM
TRFugee

Jerry,

Is that you on the cover of the Centuri Rocket Times?

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/no...a/80cen056.html
Old 04-06-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Campbell
Jerry,

Is that you on the cover of the Centuri Rocket Times?

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/no...a/80cen056.html
Yep! NARAM Houston with Gary Crowell's Astrobee D scale model. I used an Aerobee 350. We used to build scale models together. Ahhh, the good ole days.

That year, 1980 I started U.S. Rockets and later California Rocketry magazine, Two years prior I was hosting Lucerne launches with large model rockets and an occasional larger rocket motors by legit manufacturers, which later became HPR in 1985. The people who really started HPR motors, Tom Johnson, Kerry Hoffman, and John Davis, never had a TRA or NAR certified HPR motor. John had NAR certified MR motors and a CA only certified 18mm D21!!!

I think it is a photo by Jeff Flygare.

Just Jerry

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 04-06-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I flew a couple of the F-62's and they were nice motors, even if they were deliberately undersized, to fit the undersized motor tubes (28.5 mm) Estes included in the North Coast kits. I always junked the motor tubes so I could use AeroTech reloads.
Enertek had oversized motors 30mm to try to do a similar thing. All the market successful motors are standard 1.125" OD, 29mm.

Estes and Enertek only wanted their kits used for their motors. WTF?
Old 04-06-2016, 09:53 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Estes until very recently ONLY would reccommend their motors be used with their kits.
Even when they were producing all of Centuri's motors including the 'Super-C' C5-3/C5-0 they did not add those to their kit listings until they sold them under the Estes label.
The first Estes 'logoed' C5-3's were in fact labeled C5-3S just like the Centuri product to indicate 'Super-C'. The "S" was soon dropped from the Estes labeled C5 engines.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !

Last edited by ghrocketman : 04-08-2016 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:29 PM

The Estes F62 was certified and made it into production and distribution and was discontinued presumably over licensing disputes.

The U.S. Rockets F40 and F80 were certified and in distribution and was decertified without basis by TRA with no burn down period (which is unlawful).

What other products were mentioned in this thread that need to be addressed as to being in production?

California Rocketry magazine was in production for some 4 years and discontinued for financial reasons.

U.S. Rockets the company is still shipping product both directly and through dealers after all these years.

Tom Johnson of Internal Ballistics Company whose motors were the first H and I motor flown at LDRS-1 in U.S. Rockets kits.

Kerry Hoffmann of Composite Dynamics #1 whose company offered motors at Anaheim Stadium, Lucerne Dry Lake and Iron Horse Hobbies in Tustin, CA went out of business after about 6 years.

John Davis of Composite Dynamics #2 whose company had NAR certified motors and went out of business after producing thousands of motors, which were both direct sale and in every known dealer in California.

I forgot to mention Plalsmajet who also got some motors TRA certified which were also decertified despite their high reliability and availability.

Yes I agree these are not from your collection but they are responsive to the subject of this thread.

Historical Jerry

Last edited by Ltvscout : 04-07-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:05 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
The North Coast (by Estes) Dark Star G motor! Estes released the F-62 under the North Coast brand in the 90's and advertised a G motor (G-70 something), but from what I recall, it never made it to market.

I flew a couple of the F-62's and they were nice motors, even if they were deliberately undersized, to fit the undersized motor tubes (28.5 mm) Estes included in the North Coast kits. I always junked the motor tubes so I could use AeroTech reloads.

Here's a picture of a NCRBE Dark Star F62 and G70 motors side-by-side.

I will probably discuss some of the NCRBE product history including the F62-9 motor and the Orbit Launch Set at some point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  NCRBE G70-10 F62-6.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  41.0 KB