Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2008, 08:51 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Default 30th Anniv. Saturn V problems

Yes, I know. After ten years or so I'm finally getting around to building one of my North Coast by Estes, 30th Anniversary Saturn Vs.

I've built up the basic structure, and the SIV-B interstage paper transition went on perfectly, with no gaps, but the vacuformed wrap for it is WAY off. Of course, I didn't compare the two before I built them, so I don't know if they were the same to begin with.

Of course, with vacuform, there's a possibility that heat could have gotten to it and allowed it to relax back towards its original flat shape, but I don't see any evidence of that.

Has anyone encountered this problem before, and how did you resolve it?

Roy
Old 12-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Master Modeler

If you could, can you post some pics so we can get a clearer idea? I know when the body wraps don't fit all the way around on my Saturn's, I just cut a piece of similar thickness card
stock and glue it centered where the gap exists. Once painted, most won't be able to notice
anyway .
Old 12-17-2008, 10:57 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
If you could, can you post some pics so we can get a clearer idea? I know when the body wraps don't fit all the way around on my Saturn's, I just cut a piece of similar thickness card
stock and glue it centered where the gap exists. Once painted, most won't be able to notice
anyway .

This isn't as simple as that, since it is the transition wrap. It is as if the paper wrap and the overlying vacuformed wrap were for different angles.

I remember my Centuri model went together flawlessly. I mean, I was a pretty good builder for a 13 year old, but I was still just 13.

There are a couple of odd gaps in the stringers for the transition that I don't remember being in the Centuri transition, so I wonder if the molds had to be "repaired" for this version. Matt? You lurking?