Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2015, 02:55 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I really like R/C Flying.
Have been flying high-speed Pattern and Pylon type aircraft for literally decades.
I was vice-president and the main instructor pilot for several years at my R/C club.
Was able to get several new pilots to solo after the other supposed 'instructors' were unable to do so including some senior-citizens that were sorely lacking in skill and ground-school.
Some of them had no clue of the actual aerodynamics behind aileron/rudder/elevator control.
I'm of the opinion one needs to know WHY control surfaces work.
I also taught using the 'ALWAYS remember LAST input and COUNTER it' instruction method.
Also, many learned to fly under our other instructors but could not learn to LAND from them.
The other instructors always taught the students to land by executing a continually descending 180 degree turn to final, which most novices CANNOT execute properly.
I would teach them to set up with plenty of room, make a 90 perpendicular to the runway, then another 90 when lined up with the runway, doing most of the descending lined up with the runway.
I got EVERY one of the 'problem' students to land successfully.
When something is simplified, it is amazingly easy.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-29-2015, 03:47 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Here are a couple more pics of my fleet.

No scale (SV, S1B, LJII, GT, MR, SS, Nike Ajax, etc) pics yet as those are pretty much all in storage.
Years ago I was offered an opportunity by Carl to build one of the Saturn 1B's to be given to the Apollo astronauts for the reunion in Texas and I turned it down due to the time constraint. Ever since then I wished I would have built one. Having the opportunity to meet those Astronauts I now see as priceless as many have passed away.

I really like your EnerJet Egg Crate clone. I lost the first one I built looked just like yours only I added some red pin stripes to fins and body tube.

Have you flown yours yet? I have a partially built replacment on the bench I really need to complete that one. Don't see many of these at launches and always put in a great flights.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 01-29-2015, 04:06 PM

I never bothered with the red stripes on the fins and tube, but should as they look great.
I did not put the white stripes on the fins of my Aero-Darts either.

It has flown twice; both on wimpy 24mm motors; an Estes D12-5 and an RMS 24 D15-4T.
No 29mm flights as of yet, but it may get a flight on a RMS 29 E23 in the HL casing just to say it has flown on a 29mm motor. No way will it go up on a full 80n-sec F even with an Egg. WAYYYY too small for all that power. MAYBE it will fly with an RMS 24 F24-4W with an Egg, but I guarantee the egg WILL be hard-boiled.
As of yet it has only flown with an empty payload. No actual Egg Lofting.

Steve, What is your opinion of the correct payload color for the '72 Aero Dart ?
Most I have seen are Black, but have seen some medium-dark blue with corresponding checkerboard.
I used MonoKote self-adhesive trim sheet for the white/black checkerboard. NONE exists in blue and no way in hell would I do something that complicated by hand.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:34 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I never bothered with the red stripes on the fins and tube, but should as they look great.
I did not put the white stripes on the fins of my Aero-Darts either.

It has flown twice; both on wimpy 24mm motors; an Estes D12-5 and an RMS 24 D15-4T.
No 29mm flights as of yet, but it may get a flight on a RMS 29 E23 in the HL casing just to say it has flown on a 29mm motor. No way will it go up on a full 80n-sec F even with an Egg. WAYYYY too small for all that power. MAYBE it will fly with an RMS 24 F24-4W with an Egg, but I guarantee the egg WILL be hard-boiled.
As of yet it has only flown with an empty payload. No actual Egg Lofting.

Steve, What is your opinion of the correct payload color for the '72 Aero Dart ?
Most I have seen are Black, but have seen some medium-dark blue with corresponding checkerboard.
I used MonoKote self-adhesive trim sheet for the white/black checkerboard. NONE exists in blue and no way in hell would I do something that complicated by hand.

The instructions call for Navy Blue or Fluorescent Blue. I have seen both Blue and Black finishes for the payload color at launches though.

David Stribling [Rocketguy101] has a pic of Larry Brown with an original Aero Dart on his webpage it looks dark blue to me when compared to the Nike Ram in the very next image that appears to be a darker black as reference on the payload section.

http://rocketguy101.jimdo.com/rocket-pictures-9-swmrc/

I recently acquired a Centuri PNC-231 from a good friend on the forum so I see one of these '72 Aero Dart as a future build ...

Attached Images
File Type: bmp Aero-Dart.bmp (313.5 KB, 27 views)
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
Old 01-30-2015, 12:35 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
The instructions call for Navy Blue or Fluorescent Blue. I have seen both Blue and Black finishes for the payload color at launches though.

David Stribling [Rocketguy101] has a pic of Larry Brown with an original Aero Dart on his webpage it looks dark blue to me when compared to the Nike Ram in the very next image that appears to be a darker black as reference on the payload section.

http://rocketguy101.jimdo.com/rocket-pictures-9-swmrc/

I recently acquired a Centuri PNC-231 from a good friend on the forum so I see one of these '72 Aero Dart as a future build ...

I painted one of my Enerjet Aero-Dart clones with the blue payload section.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Enerjet Aero-Darts with box.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  243.5 KB  
Old 01-30-2015, 12:41 AM

I REALLY like the clone with the yellow body and the Red/Checkerboard payload.
I'm a-thinkin' I need to build ANOTHER AeroDart !

Old 01-30-2015, 04:40 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
I painted one of my Enerjet Aero-Dart clones with the blue payload section.

The yellow/red "easy" paint scheme as referenced in the instructions is without a doubt my favorite but I like the blue payload version as well.

That yellow/red to me is an outstanding color combination for that model [and I can be lazy without the fin stripes].

Your '72 Enerjet Aero Dart clone collection is awesome Bob! The chrome band around the engine mounts finish those out nicely.

SAM# 0052

Old 02-03-2015, 01:17 AM

One can NEVER have too many Aero-Darts in either Centuri or Enerjet flavors.
The one thing that would have made the original Enerjet kits even better would have been designing them with thicker-walled tubing of the earlier Centuri 'Mini Max' kits.