Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2008, 09:51 PM
7/21/61

Default Walmart Clearance Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus, 11/17/07
So yesterday I went to my local Walmart and they have more rockets in stock than they had all summer.

Go figure.

Mostly RTFs and Starter Sets but lots of the variety packs of motors (the shelf display which sells C6-3s, C6-5s, and A8-3s). There were 3 launchables kits, one of which was a Space Ship One, which they haven't had for at least 6 - 8 months. Where that one came from I have no idea. Maybe it had something to do with my comment about how they could sell a gross of them if they had them.

Sometimes it's hard to understand how Walmart became the nation's biggest retailer.

Today I went to the same Walmart and the rocketry section was jammed to the gills. Twice as much stuff as they had in November with tons of Launchables kits including lots of Spaceship Ones and Bull Pups.

And most of it was on clearance ? ! ? ! ?

Launchables kits for $7. Starter sets and RTFs also on clearance. Motors at regular price, though.

They didn't have the stuff when people would have used it, during the summer. Now they have plenty of it and they're offering it at clearance prices to get rid of it.

Again, sometimes it's REALLY hard to understand how Walmart became the nation's biggest retailer.

But if you want some cheap kits, apparently now's the season.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Master Modeler

Heck, both of our local Wal-Mart's are totally bare (except for a few engines) on their
model rocketry stuff. The Christmas rush basically wiped them clean. I'm waiting/hoping
to see what they're going to restock the shelves with. Also, ANOTHER brand new Wal-Mart
SuperCenter is under construction between the two "local" stores, and should open sometimes mid-year. Hopefully, the new store will have a good selection of rocketry stuff.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Scale Freak

Stopped in a few nights ago at my local store. Wound up checking their selection and discovered it was all gone...to the clearance aisle. Went over, wound up buying a case of C6-5/C6-3 for 3 bucks each and bought the Testors Airbrush Kit for 25 bucks. Yeah, the airbrush sucks, but the pump is what I was after.

Starter kits were 15 each.

Cheers,

R.S. Barker
Old 01-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Master Modeler

Is the hand writing on the wall as far as rocketry items go at WalMart? I could see the trend for months now. Let's see what the future holds for rockets and walMart????
Old 01-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Master Modeler

The only rocketry related items I ever buy at Walmart are B and C engines. If they were to go away I would just make those purchased online.

Since there are no local hobby shops left in my area I make most of my rocket kit, component and D-E engine purchases online. It's quick and easy. I spread my money among a growing number of vendors big and small. I've never had an issue and I always get exactly what I want.

It does bother me that the local hobby shops are fading away, but my attempts to support those that still existed locally were futile. There are a couple I still visit, but they are a good distance away and the prices are always very high, especially on engines.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Master Modeler

I'm glad I read this thread. When I saw the mention of Estes Launchables, a little light went off in my head. I went out into the garage and started searching. I had bought a few of these Launchables sets a while ago, and I just found two of them. I have a PYTHON IV ASRAAM and a GBU-24 PAVEWAY III to build now. I know there is another kit somewhere around here, because I found the motor mount I completed for it tucked in the PAVEWAY kit.

I think I'll blow these two out before I take on the Estes SR-71 Blackbird I was getting ready to build.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Scale Freak

STRMan,

Take your time to properly align the fins and additional detail on the Python. When I first built the kit, I inadvertently had a fin off by a couple degrees and it really threw off the final look and flight of the bird.

When I corrected my error on a second build it remains one of the strongest and underrated rockets ever designed by Estes. Straight flyer and looks great on display.

This is one design thats screaming for an upscale.

Cheers,

R.S. Barker
Old 01-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Craftsman

Just as a heads-up, for the past three years or so, I've seen Wal-mart do this right after Christmas. Seems that they go into the back room and make a concerted effort to clear out their local stock room.

If you're fortunate enough, you'll also start finding a lot of motors on sell shortly. Nothing wrong with them, and they're current, but they just do a "toy" clearance after Christmas. Last year I was able to pick up a ton of motors for .75 a pack. Yup, .75 cents a pack.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Master Modeler

Makes no sense. They still have the same old, same old. Why liquidate it all, they should have it out on the shelves all year long and not complain that it doesn't sell.

As far as motors goes, why discout an item that is needed, except for A10-3T's that sit around for months.

WalMaart should bring in more items and entice potential customers to purchase more. It seems to me all WM can do is to complain that they don't have sales, yet, they don't display the merchandise inoder to sell. Poor marketing.

And, at one time you could buy all types of launchables, not now. As a mattter of fact, the WM on Highway 50 in Canon City CO use to have a huge selection of kits and motors, and from what I am told, just a handful of product, and estes is only 10 miles east of them?????
Old 01-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
And, at one time you could buy all types of launchables, not now. As a mattter of fact, the WM on Highway 50 in Canon City CO use to have a huge selection of kits and motors, and from what I am told, just a handful of product, and estes is only 10 miles east of them?????

That is true. I bought these Launchables over a year ago. Right now all my local WM has is RTF rockets in stock. Luckily I have a pretty nice hobby shop nearby with a nice selection of Estes and Quest rockets in stock.