Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 08:47 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Balsa Shortage in 2010?

Balsa wood shortage in 2010? Don't remember that hearing about one.
Paper notice was wrinkled in bottom of package.
Scan - pretty large - of paper notice found - yesterday in 2013! - in bottom of package and package insert card of reissued classic Estes Plasma Probe. Because of wood shortage a plastic nose cone was in kit.
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/...zps4695eed3.jpg
later, Forrest "Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." -- Nikola Tesla, Modern Mechanics and Inventions, July, 1934
Old 11-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Dazed and Confused

There have been shortages for a couple of reasons. One of the big balsa sellers here in the US had a warehouse burn down. It seems like it was Lone Star Balsa. The other biggie was/is windmill construction and is probably the source of your paper, as I believe the Lone Star fire was a few years earlier. Windmill construction has had an impact on balsa availability on a global scale.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeltrains
Balsa wood shortage in 2010? Don't remember that hearing about one.
Paper notice was wrinkled in bottom of package.
Scan - pretty large - of paper notice found - yesterday in 2013! - in bottom of package and package insert card of reissued classic Estes Plasma Probe. Because of wood shortage a plastic nose cone was in kit.
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/...zps4695eed3.jpg
Actually, there has been a balsa shortage, or, at least, a change in the supply and demand situation.

A few years back, due to perceived interest, Estes did start using more balsa cones in their kits. About that time, the fledgling new windmill business was growing, and they use balsa to make the blades. As I understand it, the blades are made by doing composite layups over balsa forms. With the added demand from the windmills, the price of balsa went up, with the result that kit makers have since cut back some on their use of it.

A while back, when I showed a design of mine to Don at Squirrel Works, he pointed out it used too much balsa with a transition and four outboard cones in addition to the top one, implying that, with the price of balsa being higher, the extra pieces would add too much cost should he attempt to kit it. So the price has definitely had an impact on kit makers.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 11-25-2013, 09:19 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Actually, there has been a balsa shortage, or, at least, a change in the supply and demand situation.

A few years back, due to perceived interest, Estes did start using more balsa cones in their kits. About that time, the fledgling new windmill business was growing, and they use balsa to make the blades. As I understand it, the blades are made by doing composite layups over balsa forms. With the added demand from the windmills, the price of balsa went up, with the result that kit makers have since cut back some on their use of it.

A while back, when I showed a design of mine to Don at Squirrel Works, he pointed out it used too much balsa with a transition and four outboard cones in addition to the top one, implying that, with the price of balsa being higher, the extra pieces would add too much cost should he attempt to kit it. So the price has definitely had an impact on kit makers.

Doug

Can we see the design?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 11-25-2013, 09:42 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Always interested in seeing designs. Though, if one intended to be marketed as kit, it is understood that one might want to keep it behind the veil.
later, Forrest "Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." -- Nikola Tesla, Modern Mechanics and Inventions, July, 1934
Old 11-25-2013, 09:54 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeltrains
Always interested in seeing designs. Though, if one intended to be marketed as kit, it is understood that one might want to keep it behind the veil.

Doug wears a veil?

I miss being SAM 0058

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Old 11-25-2013, 09:59 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Well that's just the thing, Bill. If only it was one. It's the dance of the seven veils that just takes things too far...
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 11-25-2013, 10:13 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
Well that's just the thing, Bill. If only it was one. It's the dance of the seven veils that just takes things too far...

Especially in a cowboy hat.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 11-26-2013, 04:43 AM
Master Modeler

That's a surprise that you didn't hear about the shortage. It was nation wide news for a day. Just like during WWII, balsa was scarce being in high demand.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Can we see the design?
It was my ill-fated, lost on its first flight, tube finned takeoff of the Athena, called the Tubena. Doug

YORF member #11