Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2005, 02:25 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Lightbulb "And then there was light..."

I just tossed this together in Rocksim to unwind tonight. It wasn't until I was done that I realized I'd (unconsciously) stolen the general color scheme from the Centuri Tauruses? / Taurae? / Taruii? ...that Bill E. and Buzz N. ("Fishhead" and "Eagle3") posted pictures of (or links to pictures) on TRF (The Rocketry Forum).

Maybe I'll cough up a Semroc parts list and donate this to a certain BarClone site.

In the meantime, please drool at will, should you so desire.

Cheers,

--Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Prometheus_RS8_01_Edit.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  52.3 KB  
Old 05-22-2005, 03:15 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Maybe I'll cough up a Semroc parts list...

Here you go:

1 BC-733 Nose cone
2 ST-73 Body tubes
2 CR-57 Centering ring - TR-7
1 ST-54 Body tube
1 BR-510 Transition - Balsa reducer
1 SE-10 Screw eye
1 EC-18 Elastic cord
1 SCK-24 Kevlar shock cord
1 ST-1080 Body tube
1 Engine block - TR-7
2 CR-710 Centering rings
1 EH-28 Engine hook, standard
1 Launch lug - LL-122
1 Parachute - CP-12
Custom fin set - 3/32" Balsa

--Jay

Last edited by CenturiGuy : 01-02-2006 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:26 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Exclamation 2D Side View

And yes, the ST-10 tube is now 8" long (as reflected in the parts list above), instead of 6" as shown in the original picture in the first post above.

--Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Prometheus_RS8_Side_Edit.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  30.0 KB  
Old 05-22-2005, 07:09 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
And yes, the ST-10 tube is now 8" long (as reflected in the parts list above), instead of 6" as shown in the original picture in the first post above.

...Maybe I'll cough up a Semroc parts list and donate this to a certain BarClone site. ..

--Jay

The aforementioned BARCLONE site would appreciate this very much!

If you can pack the RKT file into a ZIP, you can post it here, too. Then we can see how it flies before it flies...

Craig McGraw
Old 05-22-2005, 07:14 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Thumbs up

Quote:
1 ST-73 Body tube
1 Engine block - TR-7
2 CR-710 Centering rings
1 EH-28 Engine hook, standard

For the sake of simplicity to those wanting to build this model, these components are available packaged as a SEMROC EM-710...

RockSIM doesn't know this, of course...

Craig McGraw
Old 05-22-2005, 10:07 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Default Tauriffic Rockets

Quote:
Jay wrote: I just tossed this together in Rocksim to unwind tonight. It wasn't until I was done that I realized I'd (unconsciously) stolen the general color scheme from the Centuri Tauruses...that Bill E. and Buzz N. posted pictures of (or links to pictures) on TRF...

Must be where I got my inspiration for this, so I'm guilty, too.

The Pringles can rocekt (with forward BT-55) had been sitting in the probably-never-to-be-finished queue for nearly four years when I scored the uncommonly-sized 2.25" nosecone and forward tube. I shortened the BT-55, cut some rings, and made the two transitions from 1/64" ply. It will use the same interchangeable motor mounts as this rocket: http://home.flash.net/~samily/elenalou/

Since the pic was taken, I've added strakes to the BT-55 for rigidity. Here's a Rocksim file (sans strakes): http://home.flash.net/~samily/core3/Core3.rkt

I won't have it completely finished but I hope to fly it next weekend. (The rocket on the right is my Niteloader for next weekend's night launch.)

Doug
Old 05-22-2005, 06:12 PM
BP Mafia

Haven't had a night launch since 2001. Where will you mount your lights or glow sticks, or is that payload somewhat translucent?
Old 05-22-2005, 07:58 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
The aforementioned BARCLONE site would appreciate this very much!
Then... One Particular Rocketeer shall endeavour "to give pleasure," in the sense of P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves of "Jeeves and Wooster" renown.

Quote:
If you can pack the RKT file into a ZIP, you can post it here, too. Then we can see how it flies before it flies...
Ah. *Excellent!* I tried to upload it (quite unsuccessfully) without ZIPping, so I'll "have another go, eh wot?"

Cheerio (Pip, pip!),

--Jay
Old 05-22-2005, 08:05 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Default Semroc EM-710 Engine Mount, etc.

Quote:
For the sake of simplicity to those wanting to build this model, these components are available packaged as a SEMROC EM-710...

RockSIM doesn't know this, of course...
And this particular RockSimmer (TM) apparently hasn't bothered to learn how to use subassemblies, either.

But you'll still need to order some extra TR-7 thrust rings/engine blocks (CR-57s). And you may need to add a strip of paper to "shim" the inside diameter, if you happen to get the "old" shipment of TR-7s. (Check with Carl McLawhorn, and tell him I sent you.)

Thanks, Craig!

Cheers,

--Jay (who happens to be especially tickled by this particular emoticon)
Old 05-22-2005, 09:43 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Bill asked: Where will you mount your lights or glow sticks, or is that payload somewhat translucent?
Bill,
The payload section is indeed translucent. It's a plastic tube from a roll of plotter paper.

There will be 9 blinking LED's in the payload section - 3 red, 3 yellow and 3 green. The rocket will also have three incandescent bulbs externally mounted on the airframe. That way, in case of a separation, both ends are lighted.

The blinking LED's need about 6-6.5V. I wired them in series with regular LED's and connected them to a 9V alkaline. This works well, sorta like Christmas tree lights, with the blinker making the other lights in series blink, too.

One blinker in series with two regular LEDs in parallel are taped to a dowel inside the payload section forming a blinking ring of three LED's 120° apart. Three of these rings are stacked on the dowel with the 9V battery tie-wrapped to the bottom. The battery clip doubles as my on-off switch.

For the incandescent lights, I mounted three stand-offs on the airframe, then glued 2V flashlights bulbs into three spent motor cases - two 13's and an 18. The 18 includes a 6V battery and a screw switch. These will be wired in series then tie-wrapped to the stand-offs providing 3 aft-aimed lights.

My daughter Haley is flying a Quest Payloader One. It will have three white, high brightness LED's in the payload section. I had hoped to make the red tinted plastic payload section glow, but there's not enough room in the bay for the stack of LED's plus two AAA batteries. I thought about getting some of the small, 3V batteries (N size?), but I had a clear tube that could readily be cut to the necessary length to accomodate the AAA's.

Now I need to do some Rocksimming to figure out what motor-delay combos will work best in these puppies as well as finish painting them and rig the recovery harnesses.

For the NiteLoader, there's still room for glow sticks, too, but I probably won't use any.

Doug