Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2008, 11:22 AM
BAR

Dang it! We don't get RED GREEN anymore... our local PBS quit airing it. So much for their stinking pledge drives! (insert rude gesture here) Just about the only show on PBS worth watching and they quit carrying it. FIGURES!

"We'll use the handyman's secret weapon... Ehhhh... DUCKTAPE!!"

My parents (who tend to be a posterior gluteus maximus inflammation at times) (IE PITA) have two minivans... POSSUM 1 and the other is , uh, POSSUM 2 (in Jerry Reed voice from "Smokey and the Bandit")

That was a good STTOS episode with Terry Garr.... The episode was supposed to introduce the character of 'Gary Seven' and lead to a spinoff series centering on his character and the whole 'benevolent aliens training members of lesser species to help guide them thru turbulent eras into a more peaceful future' type of show, which Gene Roddenberry had envisioned. IIRC, the network was interested but never developed the new series.

Gene Roddenberry had a LOT of neat ideas... He planned on creating a show based on basically a cross of the Spock and Data characters, about a misfit android seeking to learn more about his forgotten past and his place in the world called "The Questor Tapes" but it never got developed either....

Did anybody ever see "Genesis II" with Alex Cord from Airwolf?? It was a pilot film for another proposed series, in which Alex Cord ('Archangel' from Airwolf) plays a NASA scientist working on biostasis cold sleep systems for long term deep space exploration missions is trapped in his cold sleep chamber after a cave in from an earthquake in a deep underground secret base. He is discovered and awakened 200 years in the future, after a nuclear war has devastated most of Earth and humanity has been reduced to numerous warring tribes. He's nursed back to health by benevolent survivors of the original scientists who worked in the underground base, and who have dedicated themselves to preserving the best of what's left of human civilization until the day when humankind again develops a stable society. His nurse, however (played by the gorgeous Mariette Hartley) convinces him that his 'captors' are evil and intent on ruling the world, and convinces him to sneak out with her, since he alone has the knowledge to repair their failing nuclear power plant powering the mutant ancient-Romanesque city from which she came. Turns out they are the tyrants seeking to rule the world and want to destroy anyone in their path, especially now that they've found an old missile silo with a live missile and warhead...

It was a very interesting idea and would have made an interesting series, but sadly nothing ever came of it. I'd LOVE to find a copy of it on DVD. They had an interesting way to handle the transportation problem, just as Gene Roddenberry had to fix the 'transportation problem' on Star Trek when the show's budget wouldn't allow him to build a shuttlecraft so he 'invented' the transporter to get around the issue. In a post-nuclear society with no resources, no technology, and ruined infrastructure, how to get around in a show based on the idea of saving precious artifacts and books from around the world?? Luckily the world had invented a nuclear powered boring machine that encircled the world with tunnels between major cities, thru which nuclear powered trains could run at high speed. Of course this was the only means of transport that wasn't 'too vulnerable' to surface attack, and hence survived. (How they obtained permission to dig tunnels under unfriendly countries is conviently not addressed... Too bad we don't have Gene Roddenberry to solve our transportation problems nowdays!

My fave episode of Trek TOS is the one where Spock ends up in the Ice Age with Mariette Hartley. She is just TOO hot in that little animal fur miniskirt and hose... WOW!!! I think if I'd have been old Spock I'd have just retired to there... Though I DO wonder... you're in the middle of the Ice Age and your idea of warm clothing is a fur miniskirt and pantyhose?? Brrr.... Somebody needs to warm that poor girl up! I just LOVE that line from Spock, where he's morphing into the less logical, more violent standard of his ancestors during the Ice Age, where he's chiding himself for "Eating meat, and I ENJOYED it..." Pretty funny....

Anyway, yall take it easy! OL JR
Old 05-14-2008, 02:11 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

I remember seeing both of those on TV at one time or another.

Here's an imdb link for "The Questor Tapes": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070585/

And here's one for "Genesis II": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070101/
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 05-14-2008, 02:57 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
His nurse, however (played by the gorgeous Mariette Hartley) convinces him that his 'captors' are evil and intent on ruling the world, and convinces him to sneak out with her

My fave episode of Trek TOS is the one where Spock ends up in the Ice Age with Mariette Hartley. She is just TOO hot in that little animal fur miniskirt and hose... WOW!!!

Wow, haven't heard that name in years, and by coinkydink I was just hearing on the radio that James Garner, her partner in the old Polaroid commercials, was in the hospital with a mild stroke. He's 80!?!? geez. and she's 68!