Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Dr Zooch Space Shuttle CG

Movers ripped the engine hook out of my Dr. Zooch Space Shuttle about 2 years ago and I'm just now finishing up the repairs. I have one data point for the CG of the ET alone (3.625" from tip of ET) my repairs put the CG at 4.0625" As the base of the NC is not far from the CG a lot of weight would be required to hit that point or drilling something in at the NC Tip.

I was hoping to get a range of ET/SRB assembly (with out fins if you can) so I could see how sensitive the CG of the stack is. Also my shuttle is the older high rider configuration and I do not know if the nose CG was changed for the new style low rider configuration. If some one has a new build could you weigh the NC?

I tried finding Dr Zooch's email directly but had no luck. I had heard that he had some medical issues about a year ago, does anyone know contact info for him?
Old 02-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Old BAR

Luke Strawwalker (OL J R) on this forum knows Wes (Dr. Zooch) pretty well, I think. He may have a good way to contact him. I have the kit, if you need a CG off the instructions there. Just let me know. I have all the Dr.Zooch kits and have built 5, but not the shuttle...
I really like them!
Allen
Old 02-07-2017, 05:02 PM
BAR

Wow sorry to hear that.

I haven't heard from Wes in a long time... couple years at least. He hasn't come out with any new kits since the C3C CLV-75 kit, which was the last one I did the beta build for. That's been at least a couple years ago. You can email him at drzooch@yahoo.com In case the forum software tries to abbreviate that and make it useless, that's drzooch (no dot) *at* yahoo *dot* com...

Didn't hear he had any health issues. Sorry to hear that as well. Hope he's better and decides to come out with something new sometime soon.

I can measure my Shuttle stack (it's the old "orbiter forward" type as well) and let you know... might take me a day or two though...

Later! OL J R
Old 02-07-2017, 08:52 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks JR. yeah he posted about his health on TRF about a year ago I hadn't seen anything from him in a while. It was after the great migration so I assumed he had just dropped TRF and was hanging out here so I finally signed up and saw that he wasn't active her at all. Thanks for getting the data.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:46 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjennings
Thanks JR. yeah he posted about his health on TRF about a year ago I hadn't seen anything from him in a while. It was after the great migration so I assumed he had just dropped TRF and was hanging out here so I finally signed up and saw that he wasn't active her at all. Thanks for getting the data.

Ah, ok... I dropped off the Terribly Run Forum about 13 months ago and haven't looked back. Just got sick and tired of the Nazi moderators and usual BS nonsense over there, and all the crap the new owners did to the site. I don't think Wes has been active on here for a LONG time, if ever...

Later! OL J R
Old 02-08-2017, 03:57 PM
BAR

BTW, my zooch shuttle ET/SRB stack with the flame fins installed, but no motor or parachute (I store all my chutes separately and frankly don't remember which one came with the kit, and I use whatever is called for on launch day rather than the originals anyway) balances at right around 3 inches behind the nose cone end of the ET body tube... That is of course without the orbiter attached (since they're all balanced slightly different anyway most likely...) That should get you close enough for a safe flight, since he designed in a lot of margin anyway...

Remember the ET nosecone on the zooch shuttle is loaded with off-center ballast to counterbalance the orbiter...

Later! OL J R
Old 02-10-2017, 08:51 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks
Wow 3" with fins installed I'm at 4 just the ET and the SRB's and Fins are going to pull things further aft.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:08 PM
Junior Rocketeer

the good Dr made some recommendations over the weekend, and says the margins on the kit are very healthy. So hopefully I will have time to finish the repairs and get her airborne soon.