Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Default Discontinued Motors for 2006

Estes has discontinued the C11-5, leaving the C11-3 as the only C11 still being produced.

The Estes B6-0 has NOT been discontinued.

Unfortunately, Quest has discontinued the B6-0 and the B6-2.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 01-12-2006, 08:31 AM
Knuckle Draggin' Engineer

Oh Lordy!!! If this keeps up, what are we gonna do for multi staging? The choices for BP engines keeps getting narrower every year.

Joe W
Old 01-12-2006, 08:35 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke Rocketeer
Oh Lordy!!! If this keeps up, what are we gonna do for multi staging? The choices for BP engines keeps getting narrower every year.

I guess we'll have to rely on Semroc to fill the void as we do on everything else!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 01-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Rocketaholic

Default Motors limited

That is too bad. I hope they kepp what they do have still going though.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:45 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Estes has discontinued the C11-5, leaving the C11-3 as the only C11 still being produced.

The Estes B6-0 has NOT been discontinued.

Unfortunately, Quest has discontinued the B6-0 and the B6-2.

Scott,

I take it by your comment that the C11-0 is already OOP? If you've mentioned it before, I've forgotten...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-12-2006, 11:27 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The C11-0 was discontinued I believe shortly after the C11-7 (it may have been shortly before)

This discontinuing of BP motors STINKS !
We need MORE BP motors (at least more interesting ones) than what we have now not less !
I would not even mind discontinuing the B6-0 if they would bring back something more useful such as the A8-0 (for small fields) or B14-0 (for load lifting).

I would not have a problem with them discontiuing the whole C11 line; the pricing is JUST PLAIN IGNORANT !
These should be no more than a few pennies more than a C6 due to a small additional amount of clay and cardboard; the proellant could not cost more as a BP supposed 10ns (yeah right) engine would use roughly the same amount of BP whether 13, 18, 24, or 29mm !

The reason they gave for discontinuing the C11-0 (not capable of reliably igniting the upper stage motor due to small amount of propellant) is pure rubbish; if this was the case, 1/2A6-0s and A8-0's would have never worked. I used several C11-0s and NEVER had a failure to stage, even to smaller 18mm motors !
Most likely it was poor rocket prep (as Buford says to Moose "Duhhhh...jest shove it in there it'll doo") by inexperienced rocketeers; I'll admit that a C11 allows less margin of prep error than a D12-0

The stupidest decision EVER by Estes in the motor dept. was discontinuing the C5-3 (yeah I know lots will argue it was the B14). The C6-3 is an absolute TURD compared to the C5-3; the C6 has less burn time and load lifting capability. Most rockets that can use either of the two will fly about 20% higher on a C5.
The explanation of a bad production run with lots of CATOs is not a reason to stop production of a motor that was produced for several years....it is however a reason for fixing/investigating the problem...it is called root-cause analysis.
Discontinuing the C5 beacause of one bad production run makes about as much sense as Ford or GM dicontinuing a particular model of automobile beacuse they had a 3 day long production flaw.
They used STOOPYD-illogic when they did this !
I would have liked to have seen a C5-5 even if it would have required a 1/2" (BIG FREAKIN DEAL) longer case.

If the thrust/time curve of the C11-3 was the same as the C5-3 along with the SAME cost as the C5-3, I think many more would be sold. I can fly 24mm RMS full 20ns composite D/40 n-sec E engines for much less $$ per n-sec than these C11 turds.

The main reason why I got my RMS 24 is that I find the amount of available BP motor selections to be dismally inadequate.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !

Last edited by ghrocketman : 01-12-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Knuckle Draggin' Engineer

Default Deceased Nags

OH BOY!!!! Another dead horse topic to beat to death again!

I also vote for the C5-0, a much better booster stage than the C6-0, but the idiots at Estes chose to not pick up production of this engine after they put Centuri into the grave. The discontinuation of the A8-0, A3-0, and the A10-0 was also another mistake.

I wish I had that dead horse emoticon......maybe the moderator can include it in the choices, considering how many times we tend to do this!!!
Old 01-12-2006, 05:37 PM

I'm a gonna keep beatin' that dead horse until someone listens and starts producing some decent BP motors instead of allowing their "dung-for-brains" business planning teams decide the products that stay/go.

Old 01-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Dazed and Confused

I agree in principal. I would love to have the full line of motors back, even the 18mm shorts.

However, I don't think it was a stupid move on Estes' part. Most of the discontinued motors didn't sell very well and they didn't make enough profit margin on them. The company is a "for profit" organization and it has been a long time since it has been run by a true rocketry fan who is willing to sacrifice a little of his profit margin for the benefit of the hobby as a whole (Vern Estes). Estes may someday end up only manufacturing motors that go with their RTF Walmart plastic bubble rockets if that is what makes them the highest profit margin.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:51 PM

I could buy the arguement that they did not sell well for all but the C5-3 and B14 series.
They stopped those just because they were more "labor intensive" (boo-freakin'-hoo) not because they did not sell.
We need core-burning BP motors, period.
I might jump on the Quest bandwagon if they would actually offer something that Estes does NOT !
The B14 was replaced with the B8 which was not bad, but was soon discontinued too.

There is NO legitimate reason that benefits rocketeers to continue to supply the C6-3 instead of the C5-3, PERIOD !

I don't buy into the "not enough profit margin" GUFF either for at least the C5 and B14.
If something turns ANY profit and sells, it is generating positive income.
Now if an item generates ZERO profit or a loss, I can see logic in it's cancellation.

Last edited by ghrocketman : 01-12-2006 at 06:06 PM.