Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecenturion
Yep, that is Lord Dread, and if you liked the show it is out on DVD now. It really was ahead of it's time.

And it is only fair we battle...I did kill your father and girlfriend and blow up your secret base! OK, so I lost Blastaar in the explosion. Soaron says hi by the way!

To everyone else....sorry for hijacking the thread, but you gotta love flash backs to certain shows from your childhood! If you are wondering what we are talking about, youtube/google "captain power".

I couldn't find a clear pic of Capt. Jonathan Power, and besides I am several shades darker

So I decided to use the logo of Capt. Jonathan Power and the Soldiers of the Future!

That was hands down, the greatest Sat. Morning show ever! Did you use the light ships to fire at the TV screen and assist Capt. Power? I did at a friend's house!

It is my understanding that Capt Power was the basis or prequel to the Terminator universe.

The thing that Gen-X had in our time was imagination and technology.

Baby boomers had their imagination, Gen-Y have just tech (little to no imagination), but Gen-X, we had BOTH!

I have the old tapes somewhere with I believe the original ships. If I don't there will always be ebay!

Power ON!

Jonathan Dunbar Power

I did change the Avatar out of respect of Jonathan's father who you killed; Dr. Taggert aka Lord Dred!
Old 02-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Craftsman

.. perhaps a private chat would be more appropriate for this discussion?
as it pretty much killed further comments in what was an interesting thread... to me at least
Old 02-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Banned

I think the best thing to do is to check Gerry's ebay tracking list.

Its hard to remember every high priced auction closing. Some are shill bids made by the seller using other accounts or friends in other locations so that ebay doesn't detect the same MAC address or IP's being used to make bids.

There is also the emotional aspects to be thought of. At least 30% of the final closing is driven by emotion.

Back in the 90's when I was bidding like cRazY, I had people like Tim Joyce would ebay message me that I wouldn't get said kit for anything under said amount. It was a threat while the auction was in progress, and did make me spend more than I should. What Tim Joyce didn't realize was that I was making money 'hand over fist' and I didn't care However, times have changed.

Highest price, who knows... I have paid thousands for collections, soooooooo do you want the highest amount ever for a single rocket, or collections? I have sold and purchased Magic the Gathering collections (alpha, beta, unlimited, Arabian Knights...) for TENS of THOUSANDS, so in rocket money, the high prices seen on ebay REALLY aren't that high nor that impressive.

I personally believe that its a phase... a phase that involves Baby Boomers who grew up with model rocketry. In 20 - 40 years when Gen-X/Y'ers reach 50 - 60 years of age, Pong, Atari, Colleco System, Vector-Graphics, Intellivisions will be the 'cat's mewo' of collectibles and people will be selling old gaming systems for thousands of dollars, should the dollar exist at that time.

So there you have it. That is all I can offer for this discussion. Sorry for the Lord Dred/ Captain Power hijack; its just that Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future really was the greatest and still the greatest, 'for kids' live-action television program ever created! It really was!

Jonathan
Old 02-05-2012, 06:03 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
I think the best thing to do is to check Gerry's ebay tracking list.

Its hard to remember every high priced auction closing. Some are shill bids made by the seller using other accounts or friends in other locations so that ebay doesn't detect the same MAC address or IP's being used to make bids.

There is also the emotional aspects to be thought of. At least 30% of the final closing is driven by emotion.

Back in the 90's when I was bidding like cRazY, I had people like Tim Joyce would ebay message me that I wouldn't get said kit for anything under said amount. It was a threat while the auction was in progress, and did make me spend more than I should. What Tim Joyce didn't realize was that I was making money 'hand over fist' and I didn't care However, times have changed.

Highest price, who knows... I have paid thousands for collections, soooooooo do you want the highest amount ever for a single rocket, or collections? I have sold and purchased Magic the Gathering collections (alpha, beta, unlimited, Arabian Knights...) for TENS of THOUSANDS, so in rocket money, the high prices seen on ebay REALLY aren't that high nor that impressive.

I personally believe that its a phase... a phase that involves Baby Boomers who grew up with model rocketry. In 20 - 40 years when Gen-X/Y'ers reach 50 - 60 years of age, Pong, Atari, Colleco System, Vector-Graphics, Intellivisions will be the 'cat's mewo' of collectibles and people will be selling old gaming systems for thousands of dollars, should the dollar exist at that time.

So there you have it. That is all I can offer for this discussion. Sorry for the Lord Dred/ Captain Power hijack; its just that Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future really was the greatest and still the greatest, 'for kids' live-action television program ever created! It really was!

Jonathan

Hehehe... yeah and if the dollar IS still around, $10,000 bucks MIGHT get you a cup of coffee... the way things are headed anyway...

Later! OL JR
Old 02-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Maxi Pershing for $660

Old 02-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCurtis

Its still NOT the highest!

J
Old 02-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCurtis

I would have to say that's about the highest I've seen for an Estes Maxi-Brute however.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 02-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
Its still NOT the highest!

J

Translation: "I've paid more."
Old 02-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Translation: "I've paid more."

Not I; the highest I have ever paid for a single kit is around the $500.00 range... Saturn 1b uprated and a first year bagged Mars Lander.

I have seen Maxi-Brute 1b for for almost $800.00 and MMI Aerobee go for $1200.00. I was a bidder but only offered half of what the kits closed for.

There was an auction on ebay a couple years back where a guy was selling about a dozen 'K' kits all together. I think the final auction was around $3000.00 for the lot.

Now I have paid ~$2200.00 for a dozen or so 'K' kits from a pawn shop in VA who was selling kits about 4 years ago. It was interesting because the shop owner came into possession of the kits, and a collection of motors: FSI, Mini-Max, Enerjet. He built one of the Apollo Little Joes with his kids, and placed another on ebay.

I won the ebay auction and asked if he had more. He was SHOCKED at the final price I paid, and wished he hadn't opened and built the kit he and his kids flew.

After some haggling and convincing him that the final price I paid was due to foolishness on my part, I talked him down to ~$120.00 per 'K' kit and got about a dozen Enerjets, a few boxes of FSI motors, a Mini-Max , sealed D13 tube, few boxes of Cox motors, and some of those U.S. Rockets (the original Chinese import company, who's name and logo was used by a now infamous/famous CA based manufacture/dealer) motors all for about $2200.00.

The K kits included Farside, LJ II's, Snooper, OT, Farside-X, and a few others that I can't remember at this time. Oh, a couple Space Planes, and the others I can't recall. The really big items in the lot were the Enerjet/Mini-Max motors ... those are very hard to come by.

So, I have been known to throw my money away on model rocket items

J
Old 02-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Addicted Collector.. now Rockets

Could not pass up this thread.

There are model rocket kit builders and then there are model rocket kit collectors. The builders are unable to fathom or justify the prices that collectors will pay for original vintage kits. The model rocket kit collectors are no different than collectors in any other hobby such as numismatics (coin collecting) or antique Chinese porcelain.

The collectors see historical significant and value for original vintage items and chose to own them for sentiment or investment reasons. As time goes on, the prices paid for these items continues to increase due to several factors;

1. Growing collector interest through hobby marketing programs (internet is fine example)
2. Baby boomers with time and disposable incomes
3. Ongoing fiat money inflation
4. Destruction of rare items due to mishandling (opening or building a vintage kit for example)

I'm not at all surprised by the higher prices being paid for original and problem free vintage Estes kits. Model rocket items are slowly becoming part of a collector's market as there is enough demand to stabilize prices and even elevate.

There will always be the vocal "builders" who laugh at the collectors for paying high prices for vintage kits. But eventually, the collectors will have some store of value (a small investment) and the pleasure of pursuing and owning these items.