Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2007, 11:23 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleNut
I tack fins on with ca all the time, followed by yellow glue fillets.

there is absolutly nothing wrong or dangerous with that methoed

Ditt-O!

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 09-25-2007, 07:30 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatPlane
... wish we could get another meeting in to take the 15 minutes required for each fin but there's no way.

Okay, I was with you until here. 15 minutes per fin?
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 09-25-2007, 08:15 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
Why superglue fins when yellow glue works so well? I much prefer to let my kids do it themselves. The "Quest" method (that's where I learned it) works fantastic... lightly glue the fin, stick it on, pull it off, let it dry 15 minutes, put on fresh glue and stick it on for good. The glue grabs in 5 seconds or less if you do it that way, but you still can reposition to get it straight if you need to.

Yeah, the 15 minutes thing ain't gonna work.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:22 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Yes, but you said 15 minutes per fin. I glue all 8 fins at once; it takes me about 20 minutes to glue them all on. I would expect a novice builder to take up to twice that long... but that's hardly 15 minutes per fin.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:26 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Yes, but he said 15 minutes per fin. I glue all 8 fins at once; it takes me about 20 minutes to glue them all on. I would expect a novice builder to take up to twice that long... but that's hardly 15 minutes per fin.

I misunderstood. Thanks for the tip. I'll be doing well just to get 'em together.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Ready for Paint!

LONG LIVE THE GIRL SCOUTS OF AMERICA!!!!!

Launch photos are coming in about a month. Thanks for all the tips. Hope the photo isn't too big.

Note the excessive amount of yellow glue....(you fellas got me worried about the inappropriateness of super-glue) I really don't think anything is coming off those rockets The engine mount stuff is all glued in with lots of yellow glue.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Master Modeler

Super glue to tack on fins, followed by yellow glue fillets works just fine. Nothing wrong with that. Granted they are missing an important step in the building process, but this isn't always a required step in building beginner rocket anyway. Many rockets come with plastic fin cans, or worse... there are the RTF jobs. Already, they have done more construction than many first timers do. No, it's not the best choice for a first rocket. But yes, the Bullpup is an awesome rocket that looks great, and performs very well with the proper nose weight. Just because Estes doesn't mention a certain glue in the instructions doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be used. Estes is not Gospel, they are not perfect by any stretch. Alternative methods can and should be used in many cases! And that's not just in reference to glues. Not deviating from the instructions would also mean not replacing the uber short shock cords, not using anchors other than the tri-fold. Some instances I've even used epoxy *collective GASP from Fred and Doc! * for plastic to paper tube joints. This is something I implemented on my SS1. Works better than the suggested plastic cement IMO, and hardly any weight penalty if used sparingly.

So, while Shred and RocDoc's, etc. opinions are with good intention, they are just that...opinions!

The rockets look great! Enjoy!
Old 10-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

I always glue plastic to paper with superglue. I have used epoxy to install thrust rings (I don't have to hurry so much getting it in just the right place). But given the ease of installation of fins with yellow glue, I don't get why you'd do it any other way.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I always glue plastic to paper with superglue.

Yep, I've done this also. In fact, just this morning I used Plastic Zap to glue the interior joints of Interceptor pods, then wicked thin CA on the exterior joints. This is plastic to wood, but still, it wouldn't matter either way. I don't use epoxy often, but was mainly pointing out that it's ok to deviate from the suggested Estes method.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Master Modeler

The older (not up graded Estes instructions call for white glue) the current instructions call for "carpenter;s glue/yellow).

The instructions are a guigeline, when I wrote instructions, I had to think like a first time builder, I could have built a particular rocket leaving out many steps in the process, but, with instructions you can't do that.

The best example of instructions are for the two stage Renegade, I went into such detail, with sub assemblies, especially for the booster.

I told them (Estes) that the booster was too heavy, but, I can't twist their arms.

I use to have make-it take-it sessions at a 4H fair, right away, the participants "know what they are doing" won't and don't want to follow instructions and if their rocket doesn't look at the sample looks, they become discouraged.

In this case, you have a qualified instructor, with limited build time using an adsvanced kit (1st time build) and the bottom line is the end product.

RTF's are just a stepping stool to get into E2X and so on. I have mentioned before, I had builders who were new to rocketry that wanted to build a Saturn V because it looked "cool", one step at a time.

Best wishes to the girls on their first launch.