Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 01:09 AM
Master Modeler

Wow, Rick - thanks!

Of course I have to do up a Mark 4 in one of these schemes, no?

added: movie link worked for me and I now have it copied down to my MacBook.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 04-12-2012, 06:35 AM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I'll try to take a quick snap this evening and post it.

... That particular model also has a conventional 1/8 inch launch lug on it rather than the one that works on a 1/4 dowel. ...

I was showing the reworked nose cone to my wife last night and discussing this problem and she had the brilliant suggestion that I should just paint the model in shades of grey!

Bernard;

On my model I wanted to retain the appearance of the original so I kept the "large" launch lug. But to make it compatible with our 1/8" launch rods I just glued a short piece of 1/8" LL inside the big one. Perfectly functional and perfectly disguised.

And yes, I would say that was quite a brilliant and practical suggestion on the part of your wife. They do seem to have this way of seeing problems differently than us!
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 04-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Master Modeler

John,

The first Mark II I built from the Semroc kit I wound up flying off of 1/8 (or 3/16) rods with the simulated spent motor casing "launch lug" without doing what you did, though I did think about doing it. I actually wrote Carl at Semroc and asked his advice and his reply was something to the effect that using the big lug was not a problem because the Mark II was "so stable". That said, I expect a 3/8 lug on a 1/8 rod was one of the three factors that conspired to cause the one I'm rebuilding to crash. The other two were a pretty good breeze and the slow thrust build-up of the Quest A6-4 motor.

Here are a couple of pics I took this morning of my 1/32 basswood-based sloppy interpretation of your simulation of the sharpener nose cone.

The rocket, as shown, is all the parts from the crashed one except the BT and the parachute. You can tell the BT I used for the rebuild was previously used as a nose cone paint holding picture for other ST-10 models. My Start has a blue nose cone.....

Rick,

Yeah....the one GHS built which is on display at the MoF looks as if the sharpener is painted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  MarkII_NC_1.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  384.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  MarkII_rebuild1.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  582.5 KB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 04-12-2012, 12:33 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
Bernard;

On my model I wanted to retain the appearance of the original so I kept the "large" launch lug. But to make it compatible with our 1/8" launch rods I just glued a short piece of 1/8" LL inside the big one. Perfectly functional and perfectly disguised.

That's similar to what I did with my Mega-Alpha (5.5 to 1 scale up of the Alpha). The scaled-up "launch lug" is made of two Alpha body tubes, one split and placed around the other, and a standard 1/2" high power lug glued within it.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:40 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
John,

The first Mark II I built from the Semroc kit I wound up flying off of 1/8 (or 3/16) rods with the simulated spent motor casing "launch lug" without doing what you did, though I did think about doing it. I actually wrote Carl at Semroc and asked his advice and his reply was something to the effect that using the big lug was not a problem because the Mark II was "so stable".

Here are a couple of pics I took this morning of my 1/32 basswood-based sloppy interpretation of your simulation of the sharpener nose cone.

I haven't had a problem flying my Mark II of a 1/8" rod. The one screwy flight I had turned in a weird direction quite a few feet off the pad so the rod had no influence on it.

The real sharpener has much subtler ridges. If I build another Mark II, I plan to use slivers of 1/64" plywood or tiny styrene strip to simulate them. (or make a mold of the sharpener and make them from resin. And if I do eventually do that, I'll tell you guys. Don't hold your breath.)

Last edited by Royatl : 04-12-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: c/lug/rod/ and muse on possibility of making a mold
Old 04-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Master Modeler

I thought of 1/64 ply - but having only seen the painted sharpener on GHS' model in the MoF, I figured that would be too thin (and handling that to glue it on is not something I want to contemplate). I have started to taper the bass strips already and can do more before I repaint the NC.

Those spring sunshine pics make the edges of the bass strips really stand out, that's for sure.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 04-12-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
...The real sharpener has much subtler ridges. If I build another Mark II, I plan to use slivers of 1/64" plywood or tiny styrene strip to simulate them. (or make a mold of the sharpener and make them from resin. And if I do eventually do that, I'll tell you guys. Don't hold your breath.)

I think that's an interesting suggestion, and it would be equally interesting to see the result with 1/64" ply. I will say though that the ridges/strakes on my sharpener are just a little less than 1/32" deep at the base; I would think that 1/64" might be just a shade too subtle. But ultimately this is a modification, so the end result only has to please the builder.

Bernard's effort is looking great, and I'll be keen to see it painted. Once the strakes are blended and finished the end effect makes for quite a distinctive appearance as compared to the stock (smooth) nose.
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 04-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Craftsman

This a great thread, alot of good info. Photos of Mark 1&2, Mark 1 flies on a A3-4t and is super stable. John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  006.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  649.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  004.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  632.3 KB  
Old 04-14-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNGA
This a great thread, alot of good info. Photos of Mark 1&2, Mark 1 flies on a A3-4t and is super stable. John

Great models, each! Well done. How did you come up with the Mark 1; scaled from photos?
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 04-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
Great models, each! Well done. How did you come up with the Mark 1; scaled from photos?

Yes, used different photos. There's one somewhere of Mrs. Carlisle shown with a Mark 1&2, I tried to scale from that. I used balsa for fins and turned the N/C.