Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

The original date of October 7 was a guess based on receiving them here, repacking and transporting to Texas. Since John Dyer has agreed (graciously!) to receive them, we have a little more time. We must have all 34 or so at John's before the end of the day on Thursday, October 16!

From most locations, if they are shipped by Parcel Post to Texas by October 9, they will arive on time. By Priority Mail, October 12 will give 2 or 3 day delivery.

I am a few boxes short, but they should arrive this Friday or Monday.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 10-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Red River Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
The original date of October 7 was a guess based on receiving them here, repacking and transporting to Texas. Since John Dyer has agreed (graciously!) to receive them, we have a little more time. We must have all 34 or so at John's before the end of the day on Thursday, October 16!

From most locations, if they are shipped by Parcel Post to Texas by October 9, they will arive on time. By Priority Mail, October 12 will give 2 or 3 day delivery.

I am a few boxes short, but they should arrive this Friday or Monday.

I even asked the boss (Nina) - she says it's ok to store the models at our place
I should have room in the Ford Explorer for all 34 at one time - it should make for one interesting picture! This also gives us a chance to do a final inspection for damage.

John
Old 10-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Craftsman

Default Saturn 1B

I think the next 1B I build will be the Skylab version, if for nothing else to save what little sanity I have left.
My escape tower is built, I am leaning towards not installing it on the capsule to prevent shipping damage.
Wait, UPS takes great care with fragile packages, right???
Mark T
Old 10-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Random Part-Time Hobbyist

I would think the tower would be sturdier assembled to the capsule than off by itself. That way you wouldn't have the structural legs unsupported, which could easily be snapped off.
SAM 160
Old 10-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
OK, all you folks who are painting the fluted shroud assembly AFTER it's been installed (Dave, John & Co. etc.)...how the [Heck] do you mask the tubes around the upper portion of the shroud that tapers to a fine point in the gap between tubes? I've always heard one of the advantages of painting this after installing is that you can fill the gaps better, but I'd think masking off those tubes but still leaving the fluted shroud exposed to paint would be a huge pain.

From Dave's photo, it looks like there's some masking tape over the tubes, but I can't really pick up enough detail to see how closely it's masked.

I just finished up the shroud last night on mode #2 and was about to get started on paint tonight, though am now mulling over the possibility of installing it first/painting it later to give me a shot at filling the gaps.

I used a combination of computer printing paper, masking tape and lots of patience to get those fuel tubes (especially those prepainted black - actually they're monokoted black) covered and masked. I probably spent about two hours just doing this part (and, it was a bit
muggy and warm in my garage, so that also slowed me down some).

Tonight, I've got the first coat of base gloss white painted on the main body sections, upper
section (up to the SM), and another thin coat on the fin can section. I can see certain areas
on the body that will need some sanding (has some rough spots, probably some slight glue
residue and perhaps dust) to smooth out before I apply several more thin layers of white
paint.

Thanks to the new extension of time we have to complete this build, I'll be able to be more
thorough on the finishing and detailing aspects.

More later....
Old 10-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
I used a combination of computer printing paper, masking tape and lots of patience to get those fuel tubes (especially those prepainted black - actually they're monokoted black) covered and masked. I probably spent about two hours just doing this part (and, it was a bit
muggy and warm in my garage, so that also slowed me down some).

Tonight, I've got the first coat of base gloss white painted on the main body sections, upper
section (up to the SM), and another thin coat on the fin can section. I can see certain areas
on the body that will need some sanding (has some rough spots, probably some slight glue
residue and perhaps dust) to smooth out before I apply several more thin layers of white
paint.

Thanks to the new extension of time we have to complete this build, I'll be able to be more
thorough on the finishing and detailing aspects.

More later....

Couple of grainy pics I just took after spraying on the second thin layer of gloss white paint.
One is taken using flash (hence, the glowing appearance).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  LAUNCH - SEMROC SA-205 Saturn 1-B Project 001.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  63.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  LAUNCH - SEMROC SA-205 Saturn 1-B Project 002.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  68.5 KB  
Old 10-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Red River Rocketry

Default White on, masking started

Well, we now have all 10 models in white. We spent the evening masking. We're taking it slow, so as to not make any late mistakes. We're hopefull to have masking done on at least some of the models and have them ready to paint by Friday.

How is everyone else doing? It looks like Dave is in almost the same spot as us...

John
Old 10-02-2008, 10:21 AM

I got the top black stripe on mine last night. The rest of the black had to be held up to do some minor repairs of the white around the fins and the retro rockets.
SAM 160
Old 10-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I think mine is finally ready for the gloss white base coat. I had planned to complete that step a few days ago, but I decided to fix a few imperfections that were bugging me. I'm pretty sure I'm now done with wood filler, sanding, primer, etc.

I'll apply the gloss white today, and I'll let it dry over the weekend while I'm out of town.
(Anyone else heading to the October Sky Festival in Coalwood, WV this weekend?)
Old 10-02-2008, 01:31 PM

I'll be at the October Sky Festival too. I've been trying to figure out how to bring this Saturn along to work on it while I'm there. I suppose someone may have issues if I try to use the airplane lavatory as a paint booth.
SAM 160