Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2005, 07:19 PM
BP Mafia

Default Sometimes it pays to READ the directions......

While this won't turn out to be as fatal a screw up as last winter's Taurus upscale fiasco, it's still going to cost me a few tubes. I spent yesterday afternoon sanding the tubes for the Torellian Invader, then started carefully gluing the tubes on before work last night. There are six tubes that surround the main body tube on this rocket, and I ASSumed that they would be glued on side by side.
Uh, wrong.
At first I just thought that I had miscounted and went down to the basement to find another piece of BT-20. When I got back with it, I realized that it didn't fit tightly in the space. I checked the alignment on the other tubes, THEN consulted the directions.
The bright side to this is that I've been working on projects for the EMRR Challenge, but I was stumped by the idea of designing and building a scratch project that incorporated several tips from the EMRR tips page. Well, it looks like that isn't a problem anymore, because I've got one halfway done. This will be my contribution to the Deep Space Fantasy kits, but don't expect an even limited run of them. I don't even have a name for it yet, not to mention a final design. I took pictures while I was working last night, so once I get them downloaded, I'll post them. In the meantime, I'll sort through my liste of suitable violent potential kit names and see if anything strikes a chord.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 09-30-2005, 08:16 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
In the meantime, I'll sort through my liste of suitable violent potential kit names and see if anything strikes a chord.
Well, it's not violent, but in light of your story, it seems entirely appropriate, so I nominate "Fupped Duck"

Doug
Old 09-30-2005, 08:56 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Well, it's not violent, but in light of your story, it seems entirely appropriate, so I nominate "Fupped Duck"

Doug

I was thinking "Smooth Movement".

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 09-30-2005, 09:11 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:

I was thinking "Smooth Movement".

How about, RTFM?
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 09-30-2005, 09:20 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
I don't even have a name for it yet...

How about "Meant Condition."???

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 10-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

Talking

Everyone makes mistakes once in a will, It’s only stupid if you make the same mistake twice in one lifetime, as for me it was stupid to get married the second time, put it is for cretin there will not be a third. Ha! Ha! Ha!
Old 10-02-2005, 11:32 PM
BP Mafia

I didn't get to do any more work on this project over the weekend, but I did put some ideas to paper. Since it's already laden with tubes, I figured the best course of action was to add more tubes. Some joker already took the name "Tuber" , so once again I'm on a search for a name. "In Your Tubes And Out Your ****s" was something my son and his friends used to say in junior high. I considered it, but the decal seemed like it might get me into trouble. Besides, I'm not 100% sure what it means. I meant to bring what I have finished to work tonight to make some measurements, but I forgot it, so I guess I'll have something to keep me busy tomorrow while my daughter is at cross country. No promises, but if I get a few hours to myself between now and Tuesday night, I might have the basic design ready to photograph. It looks cool in my head, and all it's gonna cost me is a little balsa and some more tubes, both of which I'm well stocked with.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 10-04-2005, 02:57 AM
BP Mafia

If nothing else, this one will be unique, and quite possibly ugly. I got the fins designed, cut out, and mounted this afternoon and thought of a name while I was taking a leak at work tonight. Not sure why the name "WARLORD" popped into my head at that moment, but I went directly back to my desk and wrote it down before I forgot it. (Yes, I washed my hands first. ) I still have to look through my BT-50 nose cone stash for a suitable cone. I've got a couple of the Manta Bomber type cones, and I'll give one a try, but I think it's going to make it too busy. One way or another I'll have pics tonight.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 10-04-2005, 08:45 PM
BP Mafia

Default Pics of tonights progress

Believe it or not, this still gets nine more tubes before it's finished. I'm also thinking about adding launch lugs and dowels for guns, and possibly changing the name to the Warlord Gunship.
No. I think I'll just stick with Warlord.
The nosecone is one that came with one of the few Ebay rocket that I bought and couldn't repair. It was an Estes SkyHi. Pretty much a basket case. Tubes were crushed in multiple spots, fins were missing, and the decal had been badly applied and had started to flake off. I started working on it, but gave up due to lack of progress and interest. It was the only rocket out of that purchase that never flew, so my success rate is still pretty high. (The jury is still out on the Centuri SSV Scorpion that I bought last year. I think I'll shoot for one launch for that one, then retire it and scoop out any usable parts for a rebuild.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Warlord Gunship progress.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  351.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Warlord Gunship rear view.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  330.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Warlord Gunship straight on.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  344.3 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Last edited by A Fish Named Wallyum : 10-04-2005 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:12 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

hmm - curious about leaving the rocket on the stovetop like that - does the heat help the glue dry faster or what ?

~ AL