Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Master of the Universe

Default Found Marauder

Picked this up today,I think it's #1922. Looks verry nice up close,but with one fin glued back on,and never flown. This was a hobby shop display item. I might straighten the fin but this one sits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Maurader 001.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  101.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Maurader 002.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  102.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Maurader 003.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  147.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Maurader 004.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  138.3 KB  

Last edited by Rustee : 11-21-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:22 AM
Born Again Rocketeer.....Again!!!

Excellent find! Notice my avatar - the Marauder was one of my first rockets back in the 80s. I am still getting everything together to make a clone of it. That one looks nice - I would send it up at least once, like I try to do with all of my rockets but that's just me. I do have a couple that probably won't see a launch pad but they haven't been built up yet.

Still, you have a nice little classic there. There is a Marauder in the classic series that is supposed to be introduced next year by Estes, and they said it was based on the #1922 kit, but I don't think it looks much like it at all. All that is my own opinion.......
Old 11-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Master of the Universe

Yes,I've seen one that's #1110 then #3036 or something,based on an earlier design. I really like the looks of this one,and it's a payloder too! It's too pretty to fly,I can just look at it. (Unless,I get another one!)
Old 11-17-2008, 10:40 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFergie
...There is a Marauder in the classic series that is supposed to be introduced next year by Estes, and they said it was based on the #1922 kit, but I don't think it looks much like it at all. All that is my own opinion.......

The opinion is good, as the "Classic Series" Marauder is a two-stage design. The image shown in the brochure is the wrong model (it's the Twister image again; see the model just above).

I think the text may be wrong, too. The #1922 was only a single-stage model, based on the Cyclone. Here's the Centuri version, for reference: Ninfinger Archive Image. A good number of the other designs are Centuri, which is why I'm thinking it's going to be more like this one. [Addendum] Look at the second cover page of the brochure, and you'll see the Marauder. This image is correct, and is a revision of the Centuri design.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635

Last edited by CPMcGraw : 11-17-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
The opinion is good, as the "Classic Series" Marauder is a two-stage design. The image shown in the brochure is the wrong model (it's the Twister image again; see the model just above).
I saw that, too.

Quote:
I think the text may be wrong, too. The #1922 was only a single-stage model, based on the Cyclone. Here's the Centuri version, for reference: Ninfinger Archive Image. A good number of the other designs are Centuri, which is why I'm thinking it's going to be more like this one.
Good detective work!

BTW, the Ninfinger page includes the B14-0 and B4-6 as recommended engines. Here's hoping for them to be included, too

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 11-26-2008, 12:00 PM
advanced rocketeer

Default great

that is a great pick up . blast it up on the first clear day. congrats man.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:35 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Nice find.

I have a builtup Marauder someplace, lost the payload section though... can build a new payload from parts, but need the roll pattern decal for the transition ( if anyone has one ) .

Some have said they don;t like the design, but I always liked this bird, too, interesting addition to the fleet.

As for the new kit, that is based on the Centuri 2 stage Marauder, as noted.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Master of the Universe

Thanks guys,I thought it looked awesome but didn't know anything about it,except I needed it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Maurader 005.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  100.7 KB  
Old 11-26-2008, 09:47 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Some have said they don;t like the design, but I always liked this bird, too, interesting addition to the fleet.

I like the design, but the engineering of the fin roots is weak. I've had two models, one from a kit and one a clone, where the fins broke in nearly the same places. What I can't tell is if this is ascent stress, or impact stress at touchdown.

Strange, though, that my clone of the #1907 Cyclone (exact same fins) has flown well several times without seeing the same damage.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 11-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Born Again Rocketeer.....Again!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Nice find.

I have a builtup Marauder someplace, lost the payload section though... can build a new payload from parts, but need the roll pattern decal for the transition ( if anyone has one ) .

I believe that Excelsior Rocketry has the decals for the Marauder #1922, $9.00 for the set. I was looking for a set for myself when I get around to cloning it. The plans that are online here are good, but I don't have a printer that would print the silver transition section. Hope it helps....