Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2006, 07:22 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Thanks.

story on that ,actually - the Scrambler package photo is black and white, and I did not have a catalog on hand with the Scrabler in it, at the time I was building that * and of course, no YORP,Jim Z,etc in 1985 :-) .

So I used the blue - wasn't until much later when I finally saw one in a catalog, that I realised it was orange , personally, I still like the blue.

~ AL

It's a unique color scheme, that's why I like it.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 06-08-2006, 07:29 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP
I never actually flew the Dart, but I had my own FSI insanity. I built the "Penetrator," which was an FSI EOS with clipped fins and a D-12 booster. I flew it as a D12-0 to F7 combo. I wasn't going for speed, just raw altitude. I actually got it back the first time I flew it, which was amazing since you could hear the silly thing burning even after it was completely out of sight. However, on the second flight the Rocket Gods were appeased. I think it's somewhere in Europe now....

That's really cool! I wouldn't have guessed that was an FSI EOS because of the clipped fins but it has a sleek look built like that. At first glance it looks like an Echo-1 for the booster but that would be too small of a diameter compared to the EOS. Did you custom make the booster? Must have been an awesome flight. I loved those FSI F7 and F100 motors.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 06-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
......The FSI Mach 1 Dart with RX-1 Thruster System was the "holy grail" for me at that time circa 1978

.....I once simmed that rocket in RockSim but I think the RockSim estimates are conservative. It does show 729mph (darn close to mach) and an altitude of 3,248 feet .....

Oooohhhhh yyyyeeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

The Dart with the thruster system was awesome. Would really scoot off the pad. Any launch shot was a good one. I had my father-in-law video taping mine when I first launched it. Thought the booster had blown up. Always seemed to have a problem with the FSI motors CATOing. But, when I recovered the booster intact, I assumed I had broken the sound barrier. Circa 1987. Wish I had bought more of the thrusters.......(booster was just the FSI motor with fins glued on and a coupler to fit into the sustainer BT).

Don
NAR 53455
Old 06-09-2006, 05:19 PM
ACE DISASTER COMPANY

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
That's really cool! I wouldn't have guessed that was an FSI EOS because of the clipped fins but it has a sleek look built like that. At first glance it looks like an Echo-1 for the booster but that would be too small of a diameter compared to the EOS. Did you custom make the booster? Must have been an awesome flight. I loved those FSI F7 and F100 motors.

Actually, it WAS an Echo 1. I lost the top stage and then got inspiration.
Yeah, there's something about a black powder F that composites just can't touch. Fire- Smoke- occasional catos..... It's life on the edge!