Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2010, 09:55 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Really? Every auto supply store had them. I remember working at Whitlock Auto here in Milwaukee in the late 70's and stocking the shelves with cans and cans of the stuff. They sold for like 97 cents a can. It was just Freon.
Which store, and when? I worked at the Bluemound Rd store during 78-79, and often called other stores looking for parts.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 03-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
Which store, and when? I worked at the Bluemound Rd store during 78-79, and often called other stores looking for parts.

South 27th st. Super Store. I was there during that time. I later got promoted to the High Performance department.

This was back before the days of computers. All parts had to be looked up in catalogs. We used to have contests to see who could find an obscure part the fastest. I'd win about 98% of the time.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-09-2010, 09:40 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Obscure parts ????
Like Muffler Bearings and Duo-cabulator Valves for a 1971 Grand Ville ?

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Obscure parts ????
Like Muffler Bearings and Duo-cabulator Valves for a 1971 Grand Ville ?
I imagine there are maybe two people on this forum who know what a Grand Ville is - you and me

My neigbors down the street had a 73 GV, loaded up with all the goodies and a 455 to boot. It was an awesome car...at least until the Arab oil embargo started later that year

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 03-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I imagine there are maybe two people on this forum who know what a Grand Ville is - you and me

My neigbors down the street had a 73 GV, loaded up with all the goodies and a 455 to boot. It was an awesome car...at least until the Arab oil embargo started later that year

Doug

Well, the 455 means it was an Oldsmobile or a Buick, though Olds is a little more famous for stuffing them in their 442's.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:31 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The Grand Ville was the top of the line Bonneville from Pontiac.
Sort of like how the Park Avenue was the top-of-the-line Electra from Buick.
Pontiac also had a 455 as well and was the highest performing 455 out of the trio Pontiac-Buick-Olds.
When I was growing up, we had a 70 Catalina with a high-compression 455 4bbl as well as a 68 Ventura with a 400 that had the tri-power setup from an earlier 421 installed for induction.
One could make great power from a Buick or Olds 455, but it would cost one about 3 times as much as it cost to get it out of the Pontiac Engine.

My family had several Fords/Lincolns with high compression 429's and 460's as well.
We drove them DURING the gas crisis as well.
If it did not have a big-block, my dad was NOT interested.
I drove a 500+ hp 460-powered 1976 Thunderbird all through college.
Got 12mpg and I was happy it got THAT !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Pontiac also had a 455 as well and was the highest performing 455 out of the trio Pontiac-Buick-Olds.
According to my buddy and former Ky Pontiac dealer, there were actually two. The 455 super duty was an all-new engine with no interchangeable parts, built strictly for racing.

But I would love to have either one of them in something I could drive around in on the weekends

Doug
YORF member #11
Old 03-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Well, the 455 means it was an Oldsmobile or a Buick, though Olds is a little more famous for stuffing them in their 442's.
As part of the consolidation of branding from the divisions to the GM brand, all the divisions morphed their motors during the mid-60s such that most of the divisions shared the same nomenclature (but for otherwise different motors. And they still screwed it up losing a law suit in the late 70's for putting a 350 Chevy into an Oldsmobile.) The Buick 430 begat their 455. The Olds 425 begat their 455. And the Pontiac 428 begat their 455. Chevy, being such a large part of GM I suppose, chose to be a tad different, and had a 454, begat from their 427. (Cadillac had a 472. Not sure how much it shared with others, but I think it shared some parts with the Olds motors.)

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 03-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Dazed and Confused

Forgot about Pontiac. Did it have square or round exhaust ports? IIRC, Pontiac used some motors straight from Olds with the square ports.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:47 PM
BP Mafia

I worked with a guy who had a 455 SD Trans Am. This was right about the time I started college and right about the time I became keenly aware that the mighty 318 in my station wagon wasn't going to turn any heads. I never got to drive the 455, but I got a neck-snapping ride down Donaldson Road after work one night. Another guy had a Firebird Formula that had a high output Olds engine, possibly a 403? He had to take a plane across the field, so he asked me to get his car from the employee lot and pick him up at the hangar. I couldn't have been more thrilled. I was about halfway there, keeping my foot out of it for the most part, but still cruising at an easy 70, when the left rear tire blew in a big right-handed turn. I can't remember all of the details of the power slide anymore, but the end result found me off the road in a field with only a lucky move keeping both me and the car from serious damage. Somehow I also managed not to crap my pants. I got the tire changed and picked the now frantic pilot up. He was pissed and accused me of hot-footing it, but I had enough adrenaline left in my system to "convince" him otherwise. The tires were brand new, (BF Goodrich Radial T/A's possibly, but that's another detail that's more fog than substance anymore,) literally days old. On the way back to the employee lot we stopped and had a look at the skidmarks and the mess in the field. I remember shaking a lot while we stood there, and the guy must have apologized 20 times while we stood there looking. I'd managed to steer the car between two drainage ditches that would have killed both it and me. I remember that the smell of rubber was still in the air. I thought it was going to make me puke, but that was probably just the adrenaline OD.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper