Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2007, 03:04 PM
rocket dinosaur

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
Vern had sent to me a chart of the power designation for Rock-A-Chute motors, it was in an early issue of The handbook of Model Rocketry by G. Harry Stine.

I happen to have that 1st ed Handbook of Model Rocketry and it indeed has a NAR Certified Model rocket engines chart dated 3/65. It shows the MMI offerings (Rock-a-chutes made by Estes ) as A.8-3, A.8-4,B.8-0 and B.8-4. (the same I Might add from the listing I have from 62-63. ) So it appears that Estes was still making MMI Rock-A-chutes as late as March 1965. I might add that the 1st ed HBMR was available for sales in August 1965.

This chart also has a typo. If you look at the ProDyne D2-E2 offerings, its says CEC. Notice there's no code for ProDyne - PD?

Terry Dean
NAR 16158
Old 11-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Craftsman

Default Rock-a Chute motors

The motor I have in my hand now has a funnel shaped nozzle and a paper plug on the other end. It does have a small hole in it. Mine has red printing on it and is designated " Rock-a-Chute super type B6( all capital letters)
Mark T
Old 11-04-2007, 05:11 PM
rocket dinosaur

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggles
The motor I have in my hand now has a funnel shaped nozzle and a paper plug on the other end. It does have a small hole in it. Mine has red printing on it and is designated " Rock-a-Chute super type B6( all capital letters)
Mark T

That's an Estes Enterprises manufactured MMI Rock-A-Chute. These "Super" type B6 were introduced to the public by "Sam, the Spaceman"" with a MMI ad in American Modeler magazine in July 1959. So, potentially its that old.

July 24, 1959 is also significant because its the date that Vern Estes applied for his 'Toy Rocket Motor" patent 3,125,955.

http://www.google.com/patents

July 30, 1959 is also an important date as its the date that G. Harry Stine lost control of MMI to the Keller familiy.

And of course finally, NARAM-1 was held in July 1959 In Denver Colorado and Stine states that the only motors present for NAR use were the Estes Enterprises motors of type A.8-3,A.8-4,B.8-0 and B.8-4.

The NAR TR-14 report I have has a table titled :

"Comparable Types"

Model Missiles,Inc

Type A4 = Type A.8-3
Super Type B6 = Type B.8-4
Upper Stage = Type A.8-4
Lower Stage = Type B.8-0

hth

terry dean
nar 16158

Last edited by shockwaveriderz : 11-04-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:17 AM
I wish I was a spaceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
This chart also has a typo. If you look at the ProDyne D2-E2 offerings, its says CEC. Notice there's no code for ProDyne - PD?

Terry Dean
NAR 16158

Are these definitely Prodyne? I thought they might be early Atlas.The '65 Centuri Catalog shows E2.8 engines, the '67 catalog shows Mini Max D2-3. I've never seen a ProDyne Cataog, would love to se a scan.

You Can't break the laws of physics but they can break you. Christine McKinley

Dale Greene

Mentor, Penn Manor Rocket Club

VISIT SPAAR
2010 Calder Cup
The Old West
2009 Calder Cup

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell
Old 11-06-2007, 04:26 PM
rocket dinosaur

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazookadale
Are these definitely Prodyne? I thought they might be early Atlas.The '65 Centuri Catalog shows E2.8 engines, the '67 catalog shows Mini Max D2-3. I've never seen a ProDyne Cataog, would love to se a scan.

perhaps they were Centuri motors after all! But Prodyne did have all 3 of those model lrocket motors. Take a look a page 48 Figure 3-1 where G. Harry exhibits motors from 1963, I sent a ProDyne catalog, along with NAR TR reports from the early 60's to Ye Old RocketShoppe along time ago along with a bunch of other stuff (primarily old American Modeler magzine G. H. Stine articles many moons ago but I never saw anything posted on his site which is over a year behind schedule. hint hint

Roy Green ? if you would like I can resend this ProDyne info I have. just shoot me an email to shockwaveriderz@hotmail.com . If anybody else would like these collectibles do the same. If I get too many requests I may decide to have you wait to get the ones from Ye Old Rocketshoppe and Scott.

1. the 1/64 Prodyne Catalog
2. ProDyne Price listing 1964
3. Some Letters from G. Harry Stine to Prodyne owner John Rahkonen 63-64
3. NAR TR-20 Report on Prodyne motors from 1963-4

terry dean
nar 16158
Old 11-06-2007, 06:49 PM
I wish I was a spaceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
perhaps they were Centuri motors after all! But Prodyne did have all 3 of those model lrocket motors.
terry dean
nar 16158

They probably were Prodyne then. My guess was based on the statement at the bottom of the page that Propulsion Dynamics engines testing as of March 1965 - I assumed that meant they weren't tested as of that printing, but you know what happens when you assume. At any rate the chart is incomplete as both Centuri and Prodyne had more motors than listed

Speaking of typos on page 44 Stine lists the size of all Prodyne motors as .702" dia and 2.75" length - the ones on page 48 obviously bigger. Don't know were .702 came from, every Estes and Centuri catalog I've seen stated .690"

You Can't break the laws of physics but they can break you. Christine McKinley

Dale Greene

Mentor, Penn Manor Rocket Club

VISIT SPAAR
2010 Calder Cup
The Old West
2009 Calder Cup

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell

Last edited by Bazookadale : 11-06-2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Narcon

Narcon 2008 is almost here!

I plan to be there on Saturday...Rock-A-Chutes in hand. (A couple of them are being given away as door prizes).

Anyway, talk to me if you're interested...or find Mark Thell. He'll know something.

-Joe

ps. I may repost this under "For Sale".
Old 03-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Craftsman

Default Roc-a -Chute

The door prize motors will have a little special added........ something!!!
Mark T