Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Rocket cars

We are thinking of doing some rocket powered cars, but don't know what regulations apply and what about insurance?? My feeling is that Triploi won't cover it. Any ideas or info sources?
Thanks!
Old 07-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Master Modeler

Rocket Cars now your talking. What size engines are you going with? I would like to see some rocket cars for the MMX motors. With the MMX motor the lunch range could be a short range to travel. Hope you find out the information you need.

Are you going with your own designs or some of the Salt Flat racer like the Green Monster or The Sprit of America and Sonic One? Good luck. Keep us updated on your progress.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Junior Rocketeer

We usually do biger rockets, we have a waiver to 16K at our monthly launches. So the we would like to some bigger cars, maybe up to K motor size. Doesn't look like Tripoli or NAR have anything in the way of standards or regulations. The only thing I have so far is from Estes and it is (as near as I can tell) for consumer manufacture and they are limited to A size motors.
I did find some old info that had some rules, but nothing current. I may have to contact the fire marshal....
Old 08-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Launching since 1970.

Fire regulations as well as National Fire Codes are very clear. They specify what motors are legal and what uses of those motors are legal.

Use in cars is not covered by the definition of flying Model Rocket or flying High Power Rocket.

NAR or TRA insurance will absolutely not cover it.

Local or state fire regulations may not allow it (for any size, even the CPSC approved "A" motor limit size).
Old 08-09-2010, 02:47 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Up to K motor size ?!?
WOW !
Now you are talkin !!!!
I was gonna suggest something like a H250G on a TETHERED car, but you blew WAY past that....

Just another load O' fun the CPSC wants to quash....I sure am glad I grew up in the early 70's before many of these mamby-pamby agencies were ever even thought of by some worthless career bureaucrat. We had neat toys like FURNACES that one could actually CAST figurines from MOLTEN LEAD (and lived to tell about it as we neither ate the lead nor snorted the fumes), Vacu-formers to heat up plastic around molds to make toys, real pellet guns and .22's, as well as Chemistry sets that could do REAL DAMAGE if you did something stupid. Now these stinkin agencies want to dumb-down everything for the lowest common denominator knuckle-dragging idiot, which LOWERS the total overall intelligence of society as a whole in the name of freakin' mamby-pamby uber-safety.
Heck, we even rolled globules of ELEMENTAL MERCURY across the tops of the science lab benches in 8th grade chemistry after we produced it by heating red mercuric oxide to produce oxygen and mercury. NONE of us got mercury poisoning either despite what knee-jerk reactionary safety agencies would say about it. We used formaldehyde/formalin, benzene, and carbon tet and LIKED IT TOO !
BALONEY to all the SISSY agencies !!!!!

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Junior Rocketeer

@ ShreadVector Yeah that was my basic conclusion-Imposible to get insurance for, and way too many waivers to get to do it legally.

@ghrocketman Unfortunatly over-regulation is the result of what I call the "checklist mentality" (As long as we follow the checklist everything will be ok.) The checklist mentality means expertize is not needed, wanted or recogonized, because the checklist covers all. Which any thinking person knows is BS. In the farming industry we have had people come out to verify what crops are where and they can't tell oats from alfalfa.

Oh well I guess I'll dig a bit more.