Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > WOOSH - Wisconsin Organization of Spacemodeling Hobbyists > WOOSH News
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2014, 11:16 AM
WOOSH NAR558 President

Default Club elections Wednesday November 26

Yes I know that’s the night before Thanksgiving, but we have been having a good turn out the last two years we have done this…

The meeting will be held at on Wednesday November 26th at Greenfield News and Hobby, at 6:30 pm.

This meeting we will vote in our club officers for the next year we need a quorum to do this and proxy votes are allowed so if you are not going to attend please respond to this message or find someone who is going to place your vote by-proxy.

The incumbents are:
WOOSH President: Mark Hackler
WOOSH Vice President: Chad Rodgers
WOOSH Treasurer: Carl Riely
WOOSH Secretary: Russ Westergaard
Old 11-14-2014, 02:58 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Do you think if you used misfire alley rather than torture rack you could get by with 50% less club leaders and 100% more club members?
Old 11-14-2014, 04:22 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Do you think if you used misfire alley rather than torture rack you could get by with 50% less club leaders and 100% more club members?

No.

Jerry, no amount of persuasion on your part is going to change how others do things...

Going misfire alley will make the club's equipment management easier, but that is about it.

My club does a heck of a lot of outreach. We let each "pilot" push the launch button if they want so that they do not miss out on that part of the experience. In their excitement, some of them have a hard time waiting until the count gets to zero. I cannot imagine the chaos if most of them used their own equipment; many of the parents do not know what they are doing either. Our system has the added benefit in that we coach each one how to properly hook up the clips and check for continuity. In the event of a misfire, we diagnose the problem instead making them figure it out on their own.

When we expect it to be busy, we set up multiple sets of pads spaced far enough apart that we can launch some while loading others. With an LCO, a safety check person and two pad managers, we can launch continuously. It is simply amazing how quickly we can go through rockets, especially once we introduce the concept of the drag race...

We have very few who bring their own equipment and almost nobody who insists on using it.

Misfire alley works well when a large majority of the participants are experienced. Our launches are seldom that way.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 11-14-2014, 04:51 PM
WOOSH NAR558 President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine

Jerry,

I had to look up what you meant by misfire ally and torture rack because I have never heard of such a method, it seems to have been born around 2008.

Our low power launches are BYOP (bring your own pad) no LCO or RSO they are a lot of fun, our HPR launches are ran in such a way that the wait time is minimal and we still maintain the NAR safety codes, we often have large groups of scouts and other organizations attending and never heard of one complaint, and we receive good reports often on how smoothly our operations are ran and again a lot of fun.

After reading about it I can see why, nobody here has brought up misfire ally, as the club president I'm open to operation changes from club members and that’s the key here, from club members.

As this section is for club WOOSH member business, and I see that you are not a member please take your argument elsewhere… go away.

Mark
Old 11-15-2014, 01:33 AM
Craftsman

there are various reasons for why the club is set up as it is, but I'm reasonably sure that range setup isn't one of them. Mark, as a club member I am happy with our current setup.
Rex
Old 11-15-2014, 01:59 AM
Out to launch...

Our system works for us, no reason to fix what isn't broken. I will not be able to attend the meeting, but Cyntha will be there on my behalf - in the event anyone wishes to keep me in.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:53 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrog
Our system works for us, no reason to fix what isn't broken. I will not be able to attend the meeting, but Cyntha will be there on my behalf - in the event anyone wishes to keep me in.
It's more likely that you'll get promoted if you can't make it.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 11-15-2014, 10:36 PM
Out to launch...

Any and all promotions will face heavy resistance.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:02 PM
I do not like Facebook

"If nominated, I shall run to Mexico. If elected, I shall fight extradition." - Mo Udall

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 11-16-2014, 08:35 PM
Out to launch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
"If nominated, I shall run to Mexico. If elected, I shall fight extradition." - Mo Udall

Bill

Heh, how'd you know? I plan to defect to Mexico as soon as my kids are old enough to make their own way down to visit - or stay.