Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > WOOSH - Wisconsin Organization of Spacemodeling Hobbyists > WOOSH News
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2011, 08:28 PM
L- 3 rated nutball

Default Thunderstruck 2011

I went to Thunderstruck with my Detachment leader with the Jolly Roger Squadron. He had expressed an interest in my other mad hobby so I wanted to show him how it's done. I drove down to TARG's house Friday and we prepped the Perf. Rocketry arrow I had given him. I had an AMW K1075 GG motor to load up into it. Of course the motor's thrust ring wouldn't fit into the slimline retainer. No big deal, I friction fitted it along with tying it off to the recovery harness via the forged eyebolt in the forward closure. I also brought along the Craymarc to fly as well. With bigger motors this time
We were in a hurry on the day of the launch. TARG had to get to the St Baldricks fundraiser in Naperville by late afternoon. After an early drive over to Indiana we got to the launch in time for us to be the first "K" flight of the day.
The Imperial Arrow flew well and the gearcam took great video. Unfortunately I had turned off my camcorder when a plane had flown by and I didn't press the button right to start it up again. All I have is a little footage and then the gearcam video. The gearcam video gave me fits today. For some reason it has glitches in the files which are messing with every editing program I have. It's never done that before. I might have to reformat it again. In any case I was able to put this video up through perserverance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyEZkU_8IKQ

Next up is a video of the rocket I call the Craymarc.
I built it from scratch for a little contest we had in '09 when we had to incorporate a 6" plastic crayon bank into a rocket. I went for a silly combination of a Bomarc missile and crayon = Craymarc. This is the second flight of the rocket. I lit the J540 on the pad and then the G wiz in the nose cone lit the two G106 skids at burnout. It worked super despite the 12mph. breeze. I almost pulled the pin at the pad when it was blowing 15 to 25 but it calmed down enough top get this flight in. I think that the wind was getting worse as the day wore on.
Odd thing about this flight and the motor used. The J540 had a loaded up ejection charge in the motor. Just for a little back up. Good thing I wasn't counting on it because you can see the motor ejection goes off as the rocket is under parachute about 42 seconds after liftoff.
Kids, don't trust your motor ejection charge in big rockets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmFU2PJQeqk