Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2009, 04:49 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Which Saturn V kit to build?

Which version of the Estes Saturn V kits is the best to build? I am looking to buy and build one at some point, so I wanted some opinions on which one to look for.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Dazed and Confused

Assuming you are talking about 1/100 scale, there have been 4 versions. I have three of the four, the Centuri KS-12 built, the Estes 2001 built, and the 2157 in the box. I don't have the Estes K-36.

Centuri KS-12/5142: The Centuri kit has vaccuformed styrene wraps, which look better from a distance, but are "over scaled". It ejects at the top of the large tube, making chute packing easy. It was designed for a three motor cluster. You can modify it for a single 24mm motor easily, or for removable mounts to fly either way. This is what I did with mine when I was a kid, before I'd ever heard of interchangeable mounts. It came with clear slip-on fins to add stability.

Estes K-36: The K-36 has paper wraps and ejects at the capsule, making chute stuffing a little interesting. It was designed for clusters also, so you could easily modify it like the Centuri kit. IIRC, it came with clear slip-on fins too.

Estes 2001: The 2001 still has paper wraps, but was redesigned to eject at the top of the BT-101 tube, making chute packing much simpler than the K-36. It has a BT-50 motor mount/stuffer tube, so if you want to modify it for a 3 engine cluster, you'd have to cut the centering rings bigger to fit the larger motor tube. It has balsa fins that are more oversized than the Centuri or the Estes K-36 fins and does not come with clear slip-on fins.

Estes 2157: The 2157 has styrene wraps like the Centuri kit. Otherwise, it builds pretty much like the 2001 kit. The fins are somewhat oversized, but look similar in size to the Centuri kit's fins. I can't find any clear slip-on fins in my box, or any mention of them in the plans. Like the 2001, it has a BT-50 sized motor mount/stuffer tube, so you'd have to do a little work to modify it for clusters.

SEMROC: Has a 1/100 scale kit in the works. If the kit quality is anything like their 1/70 Saturn 1B, Mars Lander, etc. and you can be patient enough to wait, you will get an excellent Saturn kit at a fraction of the price any of the above vintage kits.

I can add more detail about the old kits if you like, just let me know.

Just FYI, Apogee Components makes a 1/70 scale and Sirus Rocketry makes one in 1/64 scale. The Apogee kit is about $275, not far from what some of the vintage sealed kits were going for on eBay.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I'm trying to finish a 2001 kit that I built years ago, and it has gathered dust awaiting its paint. These are nice kits -- molded plastic capsule and tower.

I have a couple 2157s, but have not allowed myself the thought of starting, due to the unfinished earlier version. I think I'd shop for one of these, due to the styrene add-ons from the Centuri version.

For me, a K-36 would be a nostalgia buy. I'd rather build and fly one with the plastic capsule.

I have the Apogee Saturn 1B, and it is a truly beautiful kit. I will build the Semroc version first,and I ordered another Apogee capsule to use on it, since it is the same scale. The Semroc is a great kit, but you'd expect a little more from the Apogee, since it costs so much more.

Finally, I'd echo the same sentiments as tbzep on the upcoming Semroc Saturn V -- it should be an excellent combination of quality and value. Too bad there isn't a 1/100 scale plastic Apollo capsule out there somewhere for sale, like the Apogee capsule.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Just FYI, Apogee Components makes a 1/70 scale and Sirus Rocketry makes one in 1/64 scale. The Apogee kit is about $275, not far from what some of the vintage sealed kits were going for on eBay.

I've built both of these kits. If you're looking for something to fly with H and below then I'd recommend the Apogee model. If you're only flying it with HPR motors then the Sirius model is the better choice. As display models they are both first rate.

Mario
Old 07-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Master Modeler

Then there is the Sheri's Hot Rockets 1/48 scale Saturn V, if you really want to go nuts. This kit is on my wish list.

http://www.cjsaviation.com/SATV2.html

http://www.cjsaviation.com/SATV1

http://www.cjsaviation.com/shr2

"Those who trade liberty for security have neither" - Benjamin Franklin

"Semroc is almost always the answer" - Stefanj

www.paulsavia.com

www.soundclick.com/paulsavia
Old 07-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRMan
Then there is the Sheri's Hot Rockets 1/48 scale Saturn V, if you really want to go nuts. This kit is on my wish list.

http://www.cjsaviation.com/SATV2.html

http://www.cjsaviation.com/SATV1

http://www.cjsaviation.com/shr2

Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to build that one yet. It looks very nice.

Mario
Old 07-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Master: Dark Art of Model Rocketry

Apogee's Saturn V and 1B are very good.

Master of the Dark Art of Model Rocketry

www.shrox.com
Old 07-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Here is a newly listed Estes #2001 Saturn V on eBay.

Saturn V on eBay

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-05-2009, 06:20 AM
Rocket buildin' machine

If you're looking at smaller scale, there are "decent" Dr. Zooch kits out there for $25. By "decent" I mean excellent value, very scale-like in appearance, but the details tend to be printed rather than 3-d. I love the optical illusion of the F1's, though--you'd swear they were little molded plastic pieces. It's also one of the few Saturn V's to actually fly with the F1's still on.

There's also a Peter Alway (Saturn Press) version out there, a bit larger than the Zooch, for around $50. Much better in terms of details (though sadly no corrugations, printed or otherwise). Probably the best overall balance between cost and details that's currently on the market.

The Semroc is probably going to be a NARAM release, so if you can wait a month that's going to be the way to go.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
The Semroc is probably going to be a NARAM release, so if you can wait a month that's going to be the way to go.

The word I have is it'll be a while longer for the SEMROC kit to be ready. But you know Carl & Company, they'll come out with theirs when it's ready. Just give them a little more time. I'm sure their hands are pretty full already......