Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Master Modeler

Default Primer, the Cure All for sealing balsa?

Here is a link to my latest build using primer only to seal the balsa.
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=9815

When it is all said and done, I cannot believe the results I received without using balsa sealer. I have used Balsa Sealer and filler ever since I started building rockets to seal and fill the balsa. For the most part I have had great success, but that is because after the balsa sealer is dried and sanded I spray 2 to 3 coats of primer with more sanding for a smooth finish. Now in the beginning all the rocket directions and rocket books mention using balsa filler or sealer then spraying the rocket with Enamel top coats. Never in the literature did it say anything about using primer after the sealer and before the top coats so that is what I used to do.....For the most part the rocket would come looking ok but obviously without primer some imperfections would show. Also the balsa fins would be smooth but some grain would show unless I used 7 to 8 coats. Now that everyone is using primers, you can see by itself it works great as a filler and does not add much weight as long as you sand most of it off and I think most of us do that anyway. The biggest advantage I see with the primer only is that you only sand twice vs 4 to 8 times as with sealers and primers together. I sprayed 3 coats of primer with no sanding in between coats and let it dry for one day. The next day I sanded it smooth and added 2 more coats. Now I think the only thing I might do different is after sanding the first time I would look to see if I have any major imperfections and correct with putty or wood filler, on this build there were no issues. After filling the major imperfections I would only sand the filler and begin spraying my next 2 to 3 coats of primer. I have seen others on these forums use primers only and also the new Estes directions now mention to use primers to fill the balsa so why would we still use fillers or sealers? I have only built one rocket with this method so I have not made up my mind if I am going to do this with all my builds but I will post my results and like to hear what others think.