Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2007, 05:04 PM
Distant cousin

I have a Semroc Mercury capsule en route (via Uncle Mike) and was looking for a project for it. I know the Orbital Transport Laboratory uses the Gemini capsule, but I might build it with the Mercury and a transition just to be contrary.

Anyone who says they have run out of projects really isn't looking!
Old 08-24-2007, 06:20 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Whenever we discuss collections it is usually about bagged kits. But I happen to know Buzz has a hugely impressive collection of built kits. Check out his photos at:
http://www.cv41.org/personal/gallery/collection

Very cool :-)

personally, that'd be me as well, last count I had 227 or 228 built kits ( not allpainted / flyable, but not counting 'unbuilt' ) .
I had a huge unbuilt kit collection, but sold in the mid 90's, wish I had em now ( or the $$ they'd bring, lol - although many went to Danny Sagester ( ?sp) , so might be in some of your collections, since he;s been selling many lately.

BUZZ - love the site and the birds, got a couple questions, if I may

1- the site is great, is there some form of template for that, or ?, would be neat to post my own fleet somehow, and my wife was the computer science guru, so now I have no helper

2 - have not had a chance to puruse the whole fleet yet, but was looking at the LOC kits ( can we say 'vintage HPR' . niec late 80's stuff, if I;m not mistaken - the ultimate is an old rub with long ( ? ACE ) cone ? ( I had owned the original LOC catalog model Ultimate, white one, and also had a Loc cone version later on, need to build a new one ) .
also, the Mini Mag - is that a foam cone ? * VERY VERY * rare, I have one on my Esoteric, should pull a mold and try to make some ... real nice looks with that cone.
just curious, as an early HPR guy I like seeing what I 'grew up on ' :-)

~ AL
Old 08-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWolman
That brings up a good question - how many kits make up a collection?

Bob - how many do you have in your collection? I'm curious to see how it stacks up against Scott's and/or other big collections -

I'm embarrassed to say that I have a collection of unbuilt kits that is well into the hundreds

Thanks

Dan

Dan,

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 800-900 unbuilt kits (I didn't realize I had THAT many until I went to answer your question).

I would say that Scott Branche's collection beats me in terms of sheer numbers/quantity while I have a much wider variety of manufacturers in my collection.

Bob
Old 08-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy
I have a Semroc Mercury capsule en route (via Uncle Mike) and was looking for a project for it. I know the Orbital Transport Laboratory uses the Gemini capsule, but I might build it with the Mercury and a transition just to be contrary.

Anyone who says they have run out of projects really isn't looking!

Uncle Mike has the Mercury capsule? Where? I was looking for it...
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 08-24-2007, 11:34 PM
Distant cousin

Mike usually has all the Semroc kits available. It isn't listed on the UMRS website yet, but I just asked if he had it and he said yes.

I might add that Mike does a lot for us guys down here in Oz, that's why I will buy Semroc and Fliskits from him and let him make a few dollars from the sale.

Uncle Mike rules!
Old 08-25-2007, 04:18 PM
Master Modeler

I like to buy old vintage kits and build them. I currently have over 200 Estes kits that I have bought over the last year alone. I have 74 rocket from the 1979 catalog. As of right now I have not nor do I have plans to collect rockets such as the Saturn V or LTV Scout.....For some reason no desire to build them...This could change I will have to wait and see. This is how I go about with my collection: I buy the kit and build it with everything that is in the kit. I do replace the rubber shock cord with new shock cord. If the bt is damaged I replace it with an Estes tube. If the decals are real yellow, I scan them and print them out on my Alps printer. This way I can make sure they are close to the orig decals. I am able to match the decal colors this way. If it is a kit that I will not be able to clone in the future. I try to buy 2. Examples would be the Star Wars kits, Balsa nose cone kits, and kits that use a lot of plastic. I have never been a collector of anything, I will only live once and want to enjoy it. There is no better joy than opening up an orig. Estes rocket and building it.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
As of right now I have not nor do I have plans to collect rockets such as the Saturn V or LTV Scout.....For some reason no desire to build them...

What?!? Sacrilege!

Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 08-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Master Modeler

I think I am burnt out of building scale models.....I also think that I am going back to when I was younger and the rockets I was exposed to in the late 70's early 80's......The good thing is you don't have to worry about me buying them on ebay.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
The good thing is you don't have to worry about me buying them on ebay.

Heh, I have enough LTV Scouts in my basement that I could open an LTV Scout only store.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 08-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Victory Is Mine!

Send a message via AIM to Bruce Temple
Thumbs up Just Centuri

Houston.......we have a collection problem. Hi my names Bruce, and I'm a addict........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  snipshot.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  41.6 KB