Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2005, 05:49 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Default It Stopped Raining And We Flew !!!!!!!!

WOW ! - it finally quit raining here in NY ! :-)
so... being stir crazy, my friend Nick Hills and I went out and burned a few this afternoon .
light breeze, a litle gusty, but pleasant,and about 55 degrees.

Nick flew a bunch himself, ranging from an Estes Intruder (foam saucer - one good A10-0T, second flight dropped staged A10-0T / A10-0T definately not reccomended, stable until staged then went crazy, safely recovered, but 'wierd'.
He also flew various B and C rockets (Big Bertha,Viking,MRC Standard Arm on a C11,A West Coast Rockets Screamer twice (E30-4T and an F20 econojet, you can see his review of this OOP kit as EMRR).
one note from Nicks second flight ( A Big Dawg on a B6-4) was it did,indeed,have far more tracking smoke than the newer motors we were flying.
myself, flew some I've been itching to fly since finishing :-)
first up for myself was my MRC Starfire clone on an
A8-3 for a nominal flight with good streamer recovery.
then,been wanting to test fly my 'Ultimate Square' (a 'tube fin' rocket made form posterboard with square body and tubes),this was unstable on prior tries, so added nosewieght and cut down side 'pods' for less drag.
nope, loop-de-loops again, and then a burnt chute when ejected on ground (hard on chutes when the heat,etc doesn't disipate much).headed for the garbage can, I'm afraid :-(
my maiden flight of my SARK clone faired much better with a good boost and recovery on a 1/2A3-2T, but must have been a 20 nsec ejection charge, because it burnt the elastic cord,and had a LOT of residue (crud) on inside of tube,rocket looks ok, but a new shock cord might not be a bad idea.
a custom built rocket using 16" of vintage RT-10 with a Semroc cone flew well on a D12-7,but slight noseweight might be added, to to some corkscrew in flight.Unfortunately,landed in a creekbed at the edge of the field,missing the trees,only to chip the cone tip on a rock :-(
my Ski-HI made a great flight on a B6-0 to A8-5,gaining a respectable altitude even witht he smaller motors, landed at the edge of the field.
my RTF X-Wing fighter hung on the rod on a B6-2, not sure why, did nto appear to snag anything, might've coked on the rod, second try on a C6-5 was good, but long delay was incoming at ejection (no damage, thought I had a C6-3,but must've grabbed a wrong one)
I also got in the maiden flight of my many-years-old-but-not-flown Custom Rockets Engage - D12-5, flew good but went witht he wind, even in light breeeze,and landed al ong ways off.
Never got to fly the Astro Bee, but will save for later :-)

All-in-all a good day,and a great relief from being inside watchign the rain, been stir-crazy to fly some :-)

~ AL