Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 08:59 PM
BP Mafia

Default Aggressor Aerospace DF-15B build thread

I rarely find myself attracted to scale birds, mostly because the subject matter tends to the same subjects most of the time, and there is always someone who can do a better job than I can on those kinds of projects. The Aggressor Aerospace DF-15B appealed to me because I'd never seen or heard of the missile before, and because it was said to be a challenging build.

My first step was to take inventory and see if I could get a feel for what I'd be building. The kit has one body tube and three pieces of balsa that at first glance appeared to be two transitions and a nose cone. Second glance told a different story. There were no transitions. The nose cone was all balsa and was to be built out of the three balsa pieces. This was when I decided that I might actually need to read the instructions for a change.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 11-14-2012, 09:21 PM
BP Mafia

The instruction sheet confirmed what I suspected, and I encountered my first delay. A razor saw was required to cut the large balsa tangs off of two of the balsa parts. (I bought one last summer with a Hobby Lobby coupon, but figured my chances of ever needing it were slim. )

Here's what "slim" looks like.

Following the instructions, I made several small cuts around the circumference of the nose cone tip instead of just sawing straight through. This makes it markedly easier to make a straight cut, which is necessary because the tip is to be glued directly to the longer transition section.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 11-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Bill, nice kit. Where can I get one, and what is the price?

Joe
Old 11-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Old BAR

Joe,

Look over this recent thread. 'Frognbuff' is the owner. Sorry, don't know his real name, but you can get all the info you'll need from him direct.

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showt...light=aggressor

Hope this helps; those are nice kits.

Allen
Old 11-15-2012, 12:34 PM
BAR

Cool... looks like a Chinese copy of the Pershing II...

Too bad it's not based on the BT-80 tube size... I think that size makes a REALLY nice rocket... not too big, not too small...

Later! OL JR
Old 11-15-2012, 01:42 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Joe,

Look over this recent thread. 'Frognbuff' is the owner. Sorry, don't know his real name, but you can get all the info you'll need from him direct.

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showt...light=aggressor

Hope this helps; those are nice kits.

Allen

Yes, that's where I got in touch with him from. He had them listed on Ebay for around $21, but word was slow in getting out, so I offered to do a build thread here and eventually at TRF. That's what I paid for mine. I think it was a pretty good price for what I got.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 11-15-2012, 01:46 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Cool... looks like a Chinese copy of the Pershing II...

Too bad it's not based on the BT-80 tube size... I think that size makes a REALLY nice rocket... not too big, not too small...

Later! OL JR

That's the same thing I thought. It's the first thing that came to mind when I saw it. A BT-80 based kit would likely be at least twice as expensive as this one. There's enough custom balsa in the kit to make a larger one quite pricey. It would be cool, but the BT-60 size is perfect for me to fly at B6-4 Field, and that's a LOT easier than loading up and driving 1.5 hours to do my big field stuff. I'm going to try to find the time to finish it this weekend so I can take advantage of what looks like potential flying weather on Sunday.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 11-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Creator of 'STONE TREK'

Neat.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:47 AM
Aggressor Aerospace

Default Aggressor Aerospace

I'm working a deal with Uncle Mike's Rocket Shack to carry my kits. I'll be shipping my entire inventory to him pretty soon, so PM me ASAP if you want a kit directly from me.

Yes - the DF-15B is definitely modeled after the Pershing II, though it is smaller than the PII and is single stage vice two-stage.

See the Aggressor Aerospace thread for other offerings. Appreciate the interest! Also appreciate reading the directions (wink)!!
Old 11-16-2012, 02:20 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
That's the same thing I thought. It's the first thing that came to mind when I saw it. A BT-80 based kit would likely be at least twice as expensive as this one. There's enough custom balsa in the kit to make a larger one quite pricey. It would be cool, but the BT-60 size is perfect for me to fly at B6-4 Field, and that's a LOT easier than loading up and driving 1.5 hours to do my big field stuff. I'm going to try to find the time to finish it this weekend so I can take advantage of what looks like potential flying weather on Sunday.

You have a point...

I sometimes forget the things folks have to do for launches...

It's nice living on the launching field... OL JR