Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Craftsman

Default Oooooaaaaahhhh, SHE LIVES! SHE LIVES!

Finally. The maiden flight of my Cherokee-DD. Great weekend, but had stuff today. Hadn't planned on launching, but just couldn't let the day get away. Zero to three mph winds (very rare around here) lured me out. Kind of a rush with daylight savings time, didn't get to the field until 3:15.

Anyway. Started things single stage, with my second Cherokee-D making its first flight. Super. Straight, fast, and high. All went well, landing 80 yds away with no damage. Good start.

Let's move on to the two-stagers. Navaho-AGM on its third flight (both of the first two perfect), but its first on maximum power-C6-0--C6-7. Not sure what happened here, left the rod and began a slow parabolic path. Staged, but almost horizontal flight path after staging took it a long, long way away. Recovered the booster, but upper stage is MIA. Calling for rain tonight also, so its officially gone. First rocket I have lost since returning two years ago. Oh well, had planned on building another one anyway.

Moving on. Maiden flight of my Estes Vigilante home made (CC-Express kit bash with nose cone from Thrusline) clone. Another two-stager from my youth. C6-0--C6-7. Heck with easing into it. Again super flight. Perfect staging, booster recovered, straight flight and altitude as advertised. Returned a little fast as the shock cord partially wrapped the chute, but no damage.

Well, the long walk and search for the Navaho used a lot of time, so now it is 30 min before dark. Gotta shoot the DD. Had forgotten how cool it is to launch with dwindling light. D12-0--D12-7 combo was great. Straight as an arrow, flame clearly visible. Perfect staging, booster recovered, and then right through the low-flying clouds. Craig rocksim'ed altitude around 2300 ft, and this must have gotten there as it was straight up and true. Again, return a little fast as chock cord again partially wrapped the chute (no coincidence, I think, and a change in shock cord is forthcoming). No damage. Gotta thank Craig for all the tech info and discussion on this one. Looks great, flys great. Funny, the only rocket I lost was the only one I had flown before. Anyway, good day overall.

Last edited by six-o-one : 11-21-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Great report six-o-one! I'm still waiting for a calm launch day to try my DD with a simulated cam payload. Last few launches have been way too windy.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:13 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by six-o-one
Finally. The maiden flight of my Cherokee-DD. Great weekend, but had stuff today. Hadn't planned on launching, but just couldn't let the day get away. Zero to three mph winds (very rare around here) lured me out... Had forgotten how cool it is to launch with dwindling light. D12-0--D12-7 combo was great. Straight as an arrow, flame clearly visible. Perfect staging, booster recovered, and then right through the low-flying clouds. Craig rocksim'ed altitude around 2300 ft, and this must have gotten there as it was straight up and true. Again, return a little fast as chock cord again partially wrapped the chute (no coincidence, I think, and a change in shock cord is forthcoming). No damage. Gotta thank Craig for all the tech info and discussion on this one. Looks great, flys great... Anyway, good day overall.

Nice description, Six. Wish I could have seen that one in-person!

I guess I need to get busy with the PDF version of the instructions for the CDD, so everyone can build one. This makes two confirmed CDD flights, unless someone else has flown and hasn't reported in...

Pictures?

Try putting a layer of dog barf between the parachute and the shock chord when you pack the next time, instead of having it sit directly on top. How long did you make the Kevlar thread? Does this look like something that needs to be addressed when the final PDF is released?

Sorry about the Navaho loss. Since Hobby Lobby has half-price week this week, go grab two of them, build one stock, build the other as the CDD-75 (be sure to grab the required virgin Payloader One kit for the payload section while you're there... ).

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 11-21-2005, 05:11 PM
Craftsman

Craig,
No pics. Been planning on it. Hopefully the next time I launch I will get an earlier start and I will try to set up the camera.

Yep, wish you were there Craig. Think you woulda been proud. she flew beautiful. Thanks again for all the help.

Well, the shock cord is totally my fault, I think. Used too wide a cord (instead of the perfect stuff and kevlar I have--not sure why, been awhile and might have just been slightly, uh, "affected" by too much time in a small room with sanding sealer). I have never had any issue with any other rocket before, but I will probably take your advice on the extra layer of wadding just to cover my bases. Don't think it needs any special attention in your report.

Didn't know Hobby Lobby was having a sale. Gotta run by. Thanks for the condolences on my Navaho. Trying not to think about it. Really did like that one (though I really need to see if there are any water slide Navaho decals available as those stickers keep it from reaching its visual potential). Again, gonna take your advice. Gotta build another one, might as well expand the Cherokee collection. And, after seeing the Vigilante and Cherokee-DD flights, I think I will upscale the Navaho to a BT-55 version (or just build your Blue Sneek). That stock Navaho is so small and so fast, that its not nearly the show that the Vigilante and DD are with their BT-55 base.