Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2015, 04:52 PM
Master Modeler

In looking at it some more, there seems to be some confusion about what the catalog number of the older tabs-on-the-outside, 1966 catalog only version of the Electro-Launch is/was. The catalog page calls it FS-4 (just like the later one) but the instruction booklet calls it FS-1, just like the prior wooden-based Electro-Launches (see 1964 and earlier catalogs). Ahh, minutiae. It makes me wonder what "FS-2" and "FS-3" were as well.....

After a bit: I found FS-3 in the 1964 catalog HERE - it's called the Astro-Launch and is essentially an earlier, clunkier (and more expensive - probably because of the actual key switch) implementation of the FS-5 Launch Control System. But still no "FS-2".
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 10-28-2015, 11:08 PM
Master Modeler

Tying this thread to another: The two Electro-Launches I mentioned in this thread, put to use a few weeks ago: http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=15444
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 10-29-2015, 01:01 PM
Master Modeler

minutiae- I never knew how to spell this word and they put a final 'e' on to make it plural and to piss me off!
Old 10-29-2015, 01:21 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I ordered an Electro Launch when the 1966 catalog came out. It was red plastic, with the white twin-lead. I don't remember if the wire had "Estes" imprinted on it. I do recall using just regular batteries, and not the photoflash, and struggling to get motors lit. It would be fun to have one now, and put a LiPo 3S battery inside it.

Regarding custom wire, you can get almost anything you want with a large purchase. I worked for awhile for a product development company and needed green/black twin-lead for a customer (you would normally see red/black for electronics). Getting the custom color was no issue when buying 5-10,000 feet, which is likely what Estes bought. We bought about 10,000 feet.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp

Last edited by LeeR : 10-29-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:48 PM
Master Modeler

Unless you want to fire a copperhead with it, 4 D cells is plenty. No need to worry about LiPolys. That said, I have been thinking about that very same idea to do with one of the two. For now they both have Duracell Ds (qty. 4) in them.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 10-29-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Unless you want to fire a copperhead with it, 4 D cells is plenty. No need to worry about LiPolys. That said, I have been thinking about that very same idea to do with one of the two. For now they both have Duracell Ds (qty. 4) in them.

I do have an Electron Beam controller for easy launching at small fields with my grandkids, and it works for a pretty long time on bargain brand alkaline AAs (Harbor Freight, cheap!). But I've been trying to use up a bunch of the Quest TigerTail igniters (small Copperheads) that I've had for maybe close to 20 years. They require me to bring out my 12V gel cell with an Electron Beam launch controller converted to use external 12V power. But I'm tired of carrying the gel cell battery out to launch. I'll likely rewire the connections to use a 3S LiPo pack instead. I have several of them from when I dabbled in RC a few years back.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:57 PM
Master Modeler

That will certainly work. I have a 3s 1100 pack from ElectriFly in my Estes PSII launch controller. It's actually successfully fired a copperhead a couple of times. It's no problem on anything else I've tried with it.

The PSII controller has internal provisions (a female socket of the orange JST variety) for connecting such a thing.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 10-29-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
That will certainly work. I have a 3s 1100 pack from ElectriFly in my Estes PSII launch controller. It's actually successfully fired a copperhead a couple of times. It's no problem on anything else I've tried with it.

The PSII controller has internal provisions (a female socket of the orange JST variety) for connecting such a thing.

I was a part of that discussion and thought about looking for a PSII launch controller. But I've got so many others, including one or two of the funky Quest controllers that use 9V batteries. Those are my least favorite batteries to buy, but the mod to add an external battery is pretty easy using another 9V battery clip. Quest offers an external battery harness, but I have a clip and may just fabricate one to use with one of my LiPos. Or maybe not ...