Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Default Park Plastics, Ye Old Water Rockets

In a thread on TRF, Roy posted about receiving Park Plastics water rockets for Christmas one year (circa 1967). http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?p=144444

His description mentions these as having a console and launch tower. That sounds very much like a setup I received a year or so later, also for Christmas. I wanna say mine came from/had been in the Sears Wishbook.

Very similar water rockets were common back then which used a combo hand-held pump/launch pad. But the more elaborate setup I had came with a remote control console (with pump) which was connected to the remote tower/pad with a hose (~8').

I was wondering if anyone else had this setup. I'm also looking for links. I've gotten lots of Google hits on "Park Plastics" but thus far all I've found are the handheld units with the toy-looking, teardrop-shaped rockets.

As I recall, my kit came with two rockets. Both were red, translucent plastic, one taller than the other. Can't recall if one was 2-stage or not. The console was white and greenish blue, and the hose to the tower was yellow. Compared to the handheld stuff I've seen, these rockets were more scale/realistic looking in appearance and lacked the toy rocket looks of the handhelds which tapered aft like bombs.

I want to say these rockets used the same couplings/nozzles as the hand-helds, and that they would work interchangeably with the hand-held launcher.

(I'm working from very fuzzy memories, so some of the details may be way off )

I'd love to hear others' recollections and comments on these 1960's/70's toy rockets.

Doug

YORF member #11