Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
WOW ! Thanks for the D12 diamond pack pic !
Never have seen one of those; now know they existed and must have been prior to ~1977

Love the box .pdf
That would get a rise out of a few I'm sure, but whats with the lower box labeled both B6-4 and A8-3 ?

Uhm - typo? Seriously, I just took the Illustrator layout and exported the PDF from it - I didn't really look too closely at it. A while back, while playing with this thing, I made several pages with all the boxes for 18mm motors (never did the 24mm, and wasn't happy with the 13mm box). If I get the chance tonight when I get home, I'll fix it and re-upload it - figured A8-3 and B6-4 would be most popular since I can get two boxes on one page. I might do a second page with C6-3 and C6-5 on it as well. I might even do something really screwy, like a page with a B14-5 and C5-3 on it!

BTW - could someone who has a diamond pack of D motors measure the width of the panel for me? I'm assuming the length is the same as for 18mm motors. Also, the height of the diamond on the end would be helpful as well - with that I should be able to re-create the 24mm diamond packs (or at least a reasonable facsimile thereof). A nice photo of both sides would help too.

Greg
Old 09-02-2011, 11:58 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I was just wondering if you intentionally did that to REALLY confuse folks !
You should do 1/4A3-1 on one panel and B14-7 on the other, or non-existent sizes like C5-9 on one panel and 1/2A6-7 on the other. That would REALLY raise some eyebrows.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Master Modeler

That box is cool....and it even opens up as editable in Illustrator, but unfortunately I don't have the main font (Palindrome Expanded SSI Bold) on my system. The font that Illustrator substitutes is not even close. So, no custom prank boxes for me

added: found the font on line.....so now I could make prank boxes. Hmmmm.....have a big launch coming up in a couple of weeks.....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 09-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Craftsman

you know...estes is coming out with composit motors...mayhap a box or two 'E20-7' or 'F22-7' .
rex
Old 09-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I recall having a diamond pack of D12's dated sometime in 1973. Those were the first D12 motors I ever had and they were given to me by a friend around 1977.

I want to say also there was an article in an early 1977 issue of Model Rocketeer (NAR) magazine about the annual hobby show that year and it talked about the new motor packaging from Estes displayed at the show. I'll see if I can dig that issue out and verify.

I recall some motor 'clearance' sales by Estes in the fall of 1981 on some mini motors and low and behold they came in the diamond packs. Seems like those were mainly the 1/4A stuff.

Earl

I checked the Model Rocketeer back issues and it was in the March, 1977 issue that covered the annual hobby show that year (held in Houston that year instead of Chicago). It does mention the new blister packs Estes had introduced for their motors.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 09-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Master Modeler

Aside from their value as props for practical jokes, these "Retro-Repro" (with all due acknowledgement to Semroc Astronautics) Estes diamond pack engine boxes got me wondering...if they would be cheaper to produce than the current blister packs, maybe Estes could go back to using them? They do stack very nicely (I remember seeing them displayed that way in many a hobby shop), and with today's self-adhesive sheet plastic rack hanger hooks, they could be hung on display rods (the types that protrude from display racks in stores) if desired. Also:

Unlike the blister packs, the diamond pack boxes were eminently practical out on the flying field because they were re-closable. Especially on breezy days, they obviated the need for another container to hold otherwise-loose igniters from the blister packs. Even if a breeze blew such a re-purposed diamond pack box off the prep table, it remained closed and kept the igniters from being scattered like dandelion seeds! In addition, the diamond pack boxes made handy "trash receptacles" for storing used igniters and found, seared wadding for later disposal at home or in a trash can (if any) at the flying site after a flying session.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 09-02-2011 at 10:02 PM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Forest Sprite

Did Series III motors ever come in diamond packs?

My Estes motors always came rolled up in newspaper, and Astron igniters (straight nichrome wire with blue pyrogen) were included with them. At least they must have been, because I know that I never ordered any igniters. I never heard of blue diamond packs, and never saw Solar igniters, until I joined the BAR in 2004.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 09-03-2011, 12:36 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongo
I looked through the forum and it appears the blue diamond cardboard packages for engines were introduced in 1971. When were they replaced with the cardboard backed plastic bubble packaging? The 1981 catalog is the first to specify that Solar Igniters were shipped with all Estes motors. I don't think any engines were shipped with the solar igniters in the blue diamond boxes, so I'm pretty sure it was before 1981 that those boxes were retired. I also don't remember receiving any D-engines in the blue diamond packaging. I think I got my first D-engine rocket in 1978, the Estes Mean Machine in the first year of its release, and only remember the newer packaging for D engines. Perpaps the blue dimond packaging was replaced by 1978 for all engines.

D12 motors were indeed sold in diamond boxes. I have one.

Series III (shorties) were in shorter diamond boxes. I have a box of A5-4s.

I think the diamonds were phased out around 1977 (corrected).

Astron igniters were shipped in the bubble packs for a long time. The solars were sold in manilla envelopes for many years.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:48 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Aside from their value as props for practical jokes, these "Retro-Repro" (with all due acknowledgement to Semroc Astronautics) Estes diamond pack engine boxes got me wondering...if they would be cheaper to produce than the current blister packs, maybe Estes could go back to using them? They do stack very nicely (I remember seeing them displayed that way in many a hobby shop), and with today's self-adhesive sheet plastic rack hanger hooks, they could be hung on display rods (the types that protrude from display racks in stores) if desired. Also:

Unlike the blister packs, the diamond pack boxes were eminently practical out on the flying field because they were re-closable. Especially on breezy days, they obviated the need for another container to hold otherwise-loose igniters from the blister packs. Even if a breeze blew such a re-purposed diamond pack box off the prep table, it remained closed and kept the igniters from being scattered like dandelion seeds! In addition, the diamond pack boxes made handy "trash receptacles" for storing used igniters and found, seared wadding for later disposal at home or in a trash can (if any) at the flying site after a flying session.

Besides the fact that certain retailers hated the diamond packs (they lent themselves mainly to hobby shops that preferred keeping them behind the counter, not self-service retailers), the diamond packs might have a problem with where to put Solar igniters and igniter plugs.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Paper Rocketeer

Go up to my original post with the boxes - I fixed the original file (it says B6-4 on both panels now). I also added a second page just for GH - it has boxes for both C5-3 and B14-5 motors!

I'm working on the diamond boxes - cleaned up artwork and text. Won't be a perfect recreation (the fonts aren't exactly right, but they are close) but it should work well.

Greg