Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2006, 02:36 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Default A new year

Well, I'm off to a good start anyway. Between Christmas and New Year I built a FSI Voyager clone (the fins have been sitting around for 3 months, and the parts from Semroc almost as long) a Edmonds Deltie (FUN build. I've had the kit since early summer, but was inspired to build it after reading Peter Always article in Sport Rocketry. Highly recomended kit.) and a SEMROC Aerobee Hi (well, almost built - the fins and strakes are sanded and filled. I'll glue them on while watching the Rose Bowl tonight). So, if I can keep this up I'll have a whole new fleet to fly this season.

Sean
Old 01-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Administrator

I managed to get some work done on kits over the holiday break as well. I have a Launch Pad Perseus II, Sprite clone from Semroc parts, and Rokitflite USS Odyssey almost finished. I also got a lot of work done on my Qmodeling Rogue, Launch Pad FLAIL, and PDR Starlight. At the current rate I'm going to need a case of Kilz primer by the time Spring rolls around. The "waiting for painting" line is getting really long. *LOL*
Old 01-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
.......a case of Kilz primer by the time Spring rolls around. The "waiting for painting" line is getting really long. *LOL*

I just tried the Kilz this past weekend on my Semroc SLS Lazer X (yes, it's been warm enough to get some painting in down here). It's a lot thicker than the Krylon primer and seems easier to sand/steel wool (and requires fewer coats to fill the grain and tube spirals). The SLS Lazer X has the basswood fins and I didn't want to mess around with the wood filler for so little grain. I think I'm going with it more often now. So is the Kilz a closely guarded secret or am I just slow in catching on? Be kind now....

Don
NAR 53455
Old 01-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Administrator

I just started using it a year ago when someone on the old rockets group mentioned it. I've been happy with results for all the reasons you mentioned. It's almost sanding sealer in a can. *LOL* It's more expensive, but goes on sale often at the store I shop at, so I grab a few cans when it does.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:23 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
<snip> and a SEMROC Aerobee Hi (well, almost built - the fins and strakes are sanded and filled. I'll Glue them on while watching the Rose Bowl tonight). <snip>
Sean

How did the Aerobee Hi go together? So you sanded/sealed the strakes before assembly, would you recommend that? I ordered one during Semroc's hobbylobby sale, along with a Hydra VII. It should be fun to put together a piece of history . I've never tried the kilz stuff, the Krylon primer does not sand well, I recently finished a can of bondo automotive primer, it works great, and I think was about $3.50 a can. Let's see some pics soon!

-Paul
Old 01-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
How did the Aerobee Hi go together? So you sanded/sealed the strakes before assembly, would you recommend that? I ordered one during Semroc's hobbylobby sale, along with a Hydra VII. It should be fun to put together a piece of history . I've never tried the kilz stuff, the Krylon primer does not sand well, I recently finished a can of bondo automotive primer, it works great, and I think was about $3.50 a can. Let's see some pics soon!

-Paul

It went very well. I F 'n F'd the fins and strakes before glueing. That's been my method since way back in the 70's. I often prime and sand the tubes before gluing the fins on, but it's not really painting weather here in Oregon. Besides, Carls tubes have such tight seams, their not going to be much trouble - I won't even bother to fill them. I think I'll try the Kilz primer on these when painting weather rolls around. We usually have a warm spurt around the end of January.
I'm working on the SEMROC Astro 1 now, with the Fire Fly and Jaguar next in line. I'll post pics when I run out of steam.

Sean