Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Cosmic American

Default Original Orville Carlisle Rocket: Photo Request

Does anyone have a photo of the very first model rocket? I've Googled quite a bit and not been able to find anything that shows any sort of detail.

While we're at it, anything you know about it would be WONDERFUL! What was it made of? What did he take the materials from (considering he couldn't just order up some "rocket parts" from... anywhere)? Has anyone created an exact replica? I know Semroc has the Mark II... but that was the second one wasn't it?

I did find this... is this the actual one or a mock up? What's that tan band near the top:

Old 04-09-2007, 08:05 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrunyon
Does anyone have a photo of the very first model rocket? I've Googled quite a bit and not been able to find anything that shows any sort of detail.

While we're at it, anything you know about it would be WONDERFUL! What was it made of? What did he take the materials from (considering he couldn't just order up some "rocket parts" from... anywhere)? Has anyone created an exact replica? I know Semroc has the Mark II... but that was the second one wasn't it?

I did find this... is this the actual one or a mock up? What's that tan band near the top:

That mark II is a mock up. and that nose cone + band would be the nose cone of the original rocket. The actual nose cone was made from a plastic pencil sharpener that was popular at five and dime stores in the 50's (i don't remember anything like that from the 60's... all I remember is the little Mercury Capsule sharpener at Woolworths).

IIRC the fins on most of the early Mark II's were stapled on! They were cardboard with a folded tab.

The Mark I (shown in the patent) can be seen in a photo in the premier issue of Launch Magazine (www.launchmagonline.com). Haven't got time to scan it this morning. There may be a picture of it here somewhere on Rocketshoppe in some of the scans of Harry Stine's old 50's articles.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:22 PM
rocket dinosaur

as Roy stated, there are some rare photos of the original rock-a-chute MArk 1 in that Launch article. Theres another good pic in the MAy 1977 issue of Model Rocketeer(available thru NARTS) with an artile by G>Harry titiled "Orville Carlisle's Model Rockets" I recently got a weird photo of the one thats in the Smithsonian NASM. Christopher Deem and Leo over in Germany both have produced semi-scale "replicas" of the Mark 1.

Finally there is a photo of a mark 1 in the MAY 58 AM article over at Ye old Rocket Shoppe.
I spoke with Robert Carlisle's widow about a year ago and she insisted that the MArk ! was originally designed and built by Robert and not orville. The MArk2 was orville's first rocket design according to her.

hth

terry dean
nar 16158
Attached Images
File Type: bmp MARK1.bmp (10.8 KB, 115 views)
Old 04-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Cosmic American

My lord... STAPLED? Wow! How could he have gotten his fins straight like that I wonder... and we're all sweating out all kinds of crazy fin straigtening schemes and paying high dollard for even crappy old tools for it!

If you get a little time and are willing I would LOVE to have a good hi res scan of the one you mention in Launch magazine!

I would also like any pictures anyone can come up with of the first one that was kitted. I would suppose it was a little more solidly contrsucted!

Right after writing the above (in this post) my doorbell wrang... a fellow had run of of gas and I took him down the road to get some and just got back! You never know what all is going on during a post that you read!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Cosmic American

Much appreciated Terry! I found the issue of AM but cannot find the Model Roceteer at NARTS.