Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2017, 05:15 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I get a good laugh looking at it every morning.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:19 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Good grief.
Somebody ruined a perfectly good Mark IV trunk-hump and Mark V grille.
A '76 Olds 98 at least has a decent 455 in it.
That Pinto is a major hoopty-heap. What a ridiculous POS.
Guaranteed it's not a V8 Pinto...those all had automatic transmissions, unless a custom conversion.
I remember seeing similar conversion stuff such as VW bugs with Rolls Royce hoods (bonnets) on them

As for racing the Pinto, keep in mind, aftermarket guys actually made parts to hot rod the 4-bangers. With the overhead cams as a starting point, one could get pistons, cams, headers and intakes for them as well as 4.10 gears. One guy told me all he needed to get it to hook up was to put some air in one of the rear (air) shocks, that he didn't even need positive traction.

I don't think he was setting any 1/4 mile records, but he beat his share of Chevelles with it (Granted, they weren't LS6 Chevelles )

Contrast that with today, there have been few performance parts available in recent years, even for very hot roddable motors (ie, with fuel injection, good heads, etc).

I think that's changing now, tho - with the direct injection becoming ubiquitous, I see a new era of hot rodding emerging I'm looking forward to playing around with some of the new stuff

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 12-26-2017, 07:01 PM
Dazed and Confused

Today folks can gain as much as 20-30 hp with a tuner, aftermarket exhaust, and premium gas.

The little 2018 Ford 5.0L now puts out 460 hp and 420 lb/ft of torque with stock cams and tunings in the Mustang (395 and 400 in the F150). The block is capable of 1000 hp so the normal way these days to add hp on the 5.0 is to slap a supercharger or turbo on it. You don't have to dig into it to change cams and the heads are pretty slick already...although a cam change can make forced air more efficient.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:47 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I have Dyno tuning, aftermarket 3" Flowmaster dual exhaust, and a Vararam intake on my Corvette. It gained a LOT more than 30 hp over the "factory" setup. My car has over the factory rating of 430hp at the REAR WHEELS. About 475-490 at the flywheel, depending on the fuel. Has a lot more torque than the Ford 5.0 due to 6.2L displacement, and about 700lbs less weight.
A lot of the reason why Corvettes always beat the so-called pony-cars is they have far fewer compromises in materials. They are far better weight-optimized.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 12-27-2017, 12:06 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
I have Dyno tuning, aftermarket 3" Flowmaster dual exhaust, and a Vararam intake on my Corvette. It gained a LOT more than 30 hp over the "factory" setup. My car has over the factory rating of 430hp at the REAR WHEELS. About 475-490 at the flywheel, depending on the fuel. Has a lot more torque than the Ford 5.0 due to 6.2L displacement, and about 700lbs less weight.
A lot of the reason why Corvettes always beat the so-called pony-cars is they have far fewer compromises in materials. They are far better weight-optimized.

You aren't comparing apples to apples, but you should be EMBARRASSED that your 6.2L only gets 15 more horses than the little 5.0L, depending on the fuel, of course. Since you want to compare a fiberglass Vette with a metal car, do it right and compare it with a Ford GT (modern day GT-40)...it has slightly fewer compromises than your average pony car too.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:29 AM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediBoss
Here it is, as promised. It’s a stick shift too. I was trying to get pictures of the interior, it’s in decent shape as well, but all you can see is my reflection.

Oh, that’s funny!

It looks like a JC Whitney “Continental Kit.”

The car has been made into a “Pimp-to”.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 12-27-2017, 11:11 AM

The torque of my Corvette is more than 100 ft/lb over that Mustang and is 7 years older.
We all know torque is more important than hp anyway.
I will gladly compare apples to apples. The ZR1 (C6 or C7) Corvette to that outrageously priced GT-40.
The Corvette as usual LEADS THE WAY and that turd Ford follows.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:53 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
I will gladly compare apples to apples. The ZR1 (C6 or C7) Corvette to that outrageously priced GT-40.

Exactly. The Corvette is an outrageously over priced apples to oranges comparison with the Mustang. It has a much larger engine without much added HP, and a highly specialized body/frame.

Apples to apples is the Mustang vs. Camaro. The Mustang's 5.0L has a weight to hp ratio of 8.05 to 1 where the Camaro's 6.2L is 8.1 to 1. Not enough difference to mention, but since you will brag about the higher torque of the Camaro, I'll go ahead and remind you that it's a much bigger engine with less HP and the Mustang's weight to HP ratio is still ever so slightly better.

Torque is more important with tractors and haulers. Not such a big deal out on the road in a passenger car, especially with their torque numbers being close. But since torque is so important to you and your chest pounding attitude, the Camaro's 6.2L puts out about 73.4 lb/ft per liter. The Mustang's 5.0L puts out about 84 lb/ft per liter.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:22 PM

Hp or torque per litre is largely meaningless.
Total torque "under the curve" is what means more. A relatively flat torque curve is much more "drivable" than a peaky curve.
The Corvette is NOT overpriced for what one gets for the price. Anything else equivalent costs 2 to 3 times the price.
Corvettes are designed/engineered with RACING in mind FIRST. That is why their serviceability is so good. There is a reason why most Corvette owners have one for the rest of their life. Great value and performance for the $$$.
They don't rust either.

My lbs/hp in the Corvette is 6.3lb/hp using flywheel hp you use above (3100lb, 490hp) or 7.2lb/hp (3100 lbs, 430hp) at the rear wheels. Both are far higher than any Camaro SS or Mustang GT. From the factory I also have rear tires wide enough to put that power down to the pavement.
Corvette wins even "stock" always due to superior hp/lb.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:39 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Hp or torque per litre is largely meaningless.
Total torque "under the curve" is what means more. A relatively flat torque curve is much more "drivable" than a peaky curve.
The Corvette is NOT overpriced for what one gets for the price. Anything else equivalent costs 2 to 3 times the price.
Corvettes are designed/engineered with RACING in mind FIRST. That is why their serviceability is so good. There is a reason why most Corvette owners have one for the rest of their life. Great value and performance for the $$$.
They don't rust either.

Once again, apples to oranges. Keep comparing two totally different beasts. You brought up the Vette. I was just talking about what a nice little piece of work the 5.0L Coyote engine is. But since you keep throwing the Vette into the fray, I'll again mention that considering displacement, the little 5.0L kicks your LS's tail.

And drivability...the new Camaro is slower in the 1/4 mile than the Mustang, yet it has more torque and is lighter.

If you wanted to win, you should have brought up the similar displacement Ford 6.2L gas engine that has less HP/torque than your LS in naturally aspirated form.