Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2005, 09:18 PM
BAR

Question Centuri Buck Rogers Marauder

Hi,

Just received my original Centuri Buck Rogers Marauder kit today from eBay. I plan to build this, so don't know if this is the right forum to ask: Has anyone here built one of these, any tips for me?. There's no balsa in this kit, just paper tubes, cardboard fins, and a plastic NC.

Thanks!

-Paul
Old 11-13-2005, 10:07 AM
Dazed and Confused

I don't have the Marauder, but I have the Buck Rodgers Starfigter that uses the same materials. The cardboard fins bend easily. You might think about wicking some thin CA into them for strength.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:12 PM
BP Mafia

I've had mine for about a year, but I've yet to cough up the nads necessary to start construction. It's on the WAY back burner for now, but I might change my mind if someone else has some success with it.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 11-14-2005, 07:27 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I don't have the Marauder, but I have the Buck Rodgers Starfigter that uses the same materials. The cardboard fins bend easily. You might think about wicking some thin CA into them for strength.

I've only used CA for the edges of things before, fins, nose cones, BTs. Are you thinking just the edges or the entire surface of the fin?

-Paul
Old 11-14-2005, 04:17 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
I've only used CA for the edges of things before, fins, nose cones, BTs. Are you thinking just the edges or the entire surface of the fin?

-Paul

I was thinking about the edges. I don't know if it would soak into the entire surface because of the outer paper coating. Wouldn't hurt to try it on some scrap material. You need to try it on some scrap anyway because an excess amount on the edges will probably make the edges swell up some.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:56 PM
BP Mafia

I was thinking of constructing it as normal, THEN soaking things with thin CA. I also thought about hitting the glossy side of the paper with sandpaper first. It eventually gets painted anyway.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 11-14-2005, 06:37 PM
Stuck in the 80's

Defintely reinforce those wings with CA. My Marauder's chute failed to open during its first flight and the damage to the wings was devastating. I keep meaning to fix it up, but after 24 years, I still haven't gotten around to it yet!

A 16" chute is a bit of a tight fit in that skinny tube too. Take care while packing it.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:42 PM
BP Mafia

The old Centuri chutes are great to look at as a curio, but I don't think I'd trust them to actually do recovery duties. I used one on a Screaming Eagle that I flew once. Once. It didn't open, the rocket landed on hard dirt, and now it's a three finned bird. Same thing happened the next year when I flew another Ebay bird, this one a Jayhawk, with its original chute. It now has bent and broken fiber fins.
That one at least taught me a lesson. I'd swap the original chute out for a new Semroc chute. It's smaller and less brittle.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 11-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Is there a problem with replacing the cardboard fins with balsa? I've got a Maurader that I was thinking of doing this with. Is it feasable or even a good idea?

Don
NAR 53455
Old 11-15-2005, 06:20 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Is there a problem with replacing the cardboard fins with balsa? I've got a Maurader that I was thinking of doing this with. Is it feasable or even a good idea?

Don
NAR 53455

I think so, but the thinner, the better. I was going to clone the other Buck Rogers ship like that before I won this one.

I miss being SAM 0058