Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Also what I originally thought was possibly the motor tube looks to be the payload tube and it appears to be black? The published literature suggests the 1340 model didn't require paint because it featured "heavy-wall pre-colored spiral wound cardboard and glassine tubing".

Did any of your originals feature a black payload tube or was it white like the main airframe?

I also didn't realize the actual kit number "1340" appeared on a decal sheet with the EnerJet logos.

It's already climbed out of my price range for bidding but if I had bought it I would open it, inhale the EnerJet air from the bag ..... build it and then fly it on composite F and G motors at our HPR field. I would also document all the contents for Scott to post online for all to enjoy.

There were no 1340 decals I recall, just generic Enerjet decals. There were no black tubes I recall, and I do not recall any till Estes E2X.

I think it is a frankenkit, not an original, but sticking an original 1340 instruction in a bag of parts worked great on ebay!

Jerry
Old 03-03-2011, 07:33 AM
Gentleman Rocketeer

Default Enerjet 1340 "Mint in Package" Definition

Once on Ebay somebody had Listed A COX Little Joe II "Mint in Package"

True to it's word the photo Showed two Guys and a Slightly shopworn (read: well used) Plastic RTF Little Joe II...in the same photo (perhaps purchased from the produce section of a Safewy) was Indeed...Mint still sealed in a package....Maybe it applies in this case...in any case the Enerjet Motor in an of itself is extremely prized among collectors...isn't it?

Thanks Guys

RM
Old 03-03-2011, 07:28 PM
The_Ripper

It appears that someone criticized his Mona Lisa .....

On Mar-03-11 at 07:24:20 PST, seller added the following information:

So, I have come to a premature end with this auction. I know this kit is ultra rare, untouched and original, but since it is such, there is nothing out there to compare it to. Is there a way to criticize the color palette on the Mona Lisa if there is only one in existence?? I think I'm going to wait till someone comes forward with photos or proper documentation that can corroborate the color, size, motor, tube number, diameter, etc, etc. This kit can go back on the shelf with the other original Enerjet kits till the time is right. Thanks for all the interest and sorry someone missed out on a once in a lifetime piece.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 03-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
It appears that someone criticized his Mona Lisa .....

On Mar-03-11 at 07:24:20 PST, seller added the following information:

So, I have come to a premature end with this auction. I know this kit is ultra rare, untouched and original, but since it is such, there is nothing out there to compare it to. Is there a way to criticize the color palette on the Mona Lisa if there is only one in existence?? I think I'm going to wait till someone comes forward with photos or proper documentation that can corroborate the color, size, motor, tube number, diameter, etc, etc. This kit can go back on the shelf with the other original Enerjet kits till the time is right. Thanks for all the interest and sorry someone missed out on a once in a lifetime piece.

Either that or someone made him an offer he 'couldn't refuse' and he sold it outside his ebay listing. I hope that's not the case and I hate to cast any aspersions towards someone I don't know; he may be totally honest in his comments above.

With that, here's hoping he'll move on to auctioning the other Enerjet kits in the stash he so teased us with.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Why would he pull an auction which had no criticism on the venue he was offering it in, Ebay?

Was he living here in the mean time? It appears the questions and speculations here were to address clear inconsistencies from units that were actually in the wild back in the day.

If nothing else, when this frankenkit reemerges, this thread will be searchable.

Jerry
Old 03-04-2011, 08:55 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

That is FAR from being a once-in-a-lifetime piece.
More likely it was pulled due to the fact it got nowhere near the amount the seller was expecting.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-04-2011, 04:02 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
That is FAR from being a once-in-a-lifetime piece.
More likely it was pulled due to the fact it got nowhere near the amount the seller was expecting.

I was thinking the same thing.

Last I checked it was tipping just above $100 the night before he pulled it .....

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
Old 03-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Apollo Nut

I think it was running right at $150 last I checked before it disappeared.

'Course, some kits can sometimes triple in dollar amount in the last 15 seconds of bidding, so who knows what it might have gone for.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-06-2011, 01:00 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Most likely those interested in it frequent this forum; once the true "franken-nature" of the kit emerged, I would not doubt if several bids got pulled.
I was not aware of any kits coming with Enerjet motors packaged within the bag either.
That F52 motor is worth probably $50 to a collector, but would be worth MUCH more if it was one of the original NIB boxed motors.

I could put together a stapled bag of HASHIMOTO conglomeration parts to create a 1340 CLONE with a copy of correct color instructions and that would be no more an original 1340 kit than this was. The ONLY way I would accept that this kit was original would be via certification by the man himself, Lee Piester. Short of that, no way.

Who knows about the other "Enerjet" kits in his box; we did not get any decent views of those.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-06-2011, 02:01 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Most likely those interested in it frequent this forum; once the true "franken-nature" of the kit emerged, I would not doubt if several bids got pulled.
I was not aware of any kits coming with Enerjet motors packaged within the bag either.
That F52 motor is worth probably $50 to a collector, but would be worth MUCH more if it was one of the original NIB boxed motors.

I could put together a stapled bag of HASHIMOTO conglomeration parts to create a 1340 CLONE with a copy of correct color instructions and that would be no more an original 1340 kit than this was. The ONLY way I would accept that this kit was original would be via certification by the man himself, Lee Piester. Short of that, no way.

Who knows about the other "Enerjet" kits in his box; we did not get any decent views of those.

That F52 in particular with the short delay isn't worth much to me .... now if it had a 14 second delay, I know exactly what I would do with it if acquired at a decent price and it wouldn't be sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

My opinion is this so please take it as just that, an opinion. If a seller is going to move what is believed to be such a rare one of a kind product offering through an auction, the burden of proof is on THE SELLER to validate it's authenticity. The statement by seller just didn't sit well with me: "I think I'm going to wait till someone comes forward with photos or proper documentation that can corroborate the color, size, motor, tube number, diameter, etc, etc".

Contact Lee Piester and determine the history of the kit. Write, Email or visit him at his Hobby Bench store and determine the history of the packaging and parts selection used for this end of production 1340. Don't know of any other kits in the Centuri line up with black pre-colored tubes. Would this be unique to future runs of the 1340? Was the orange colored fin unit with nose cone and coupler mold to be standard for future 1340 releases? Possibly an orange and black scheme same as referenced in the drawings that Gary Rosenfield produced when he had Composite Dynamics that documented the suggested finishes and dimensions of the EnerJet 2250 and 2650 sounding rockets?

Jerry Irvine having purchased and flown original versions of all these sounding rockets when they were in the wild surely doesn't recognize it and I for one don't doubt his first hand knowledge or experience with these kits. Potential buyers are obviously suspicious. Seller doesn't know. Contact Gary Rosenfield to see what he may know. Find names of folks in the old newsletters that attended NARAM-14 when the 1340 model first made it's debut and contact them to see what they know about early and late versions of the 1340. Maybe one of these guys knows where to contact Larry Brown. I really don't know but the burden of proof is not on the bidders.

I hope someone will "come forward" and bring the seller the information he needs ..... let's all just wait and see if that happens ......

SAM# 0052