Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Incurable Model Rocketeer

Send a message via Yahoo to DeanHFox
Default Upscale Connie

Heck, I can carve and sand me up some fin pods...what BT # did you use for the 138% upscale? And did it use one of your "special" cones? Can I order one from ya? (the decals from Phred are already on my "next Phred order" sheet)

Edit: <smacks head> You refernced a BT-56 in your prev ms. OK, shame on me for not reading closely enough the cut and paste I did to Phred's order list. The Q about the NC still stands
NAR #53946SR

---- "Wherever you go, there you are"
Old 08-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

The body is a BT-56.

Sure I can make those cones.

Do you need a clear payload bay too?

And the bulkhead (for the Payload bay).

I can make em out of balsa or I have made 'em out of basswood...really tuff!

The fin pods aren't too bad. There are 6 halfs to make and the hard part is getting them all exactly the same.

Actually... I do have one kit finished and ready. No instruction 'cause it's pretty darn simple. 3FNC/payload bay.

Decals, nose cone, bulkhead, resin fin pods...everything!

PM me.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 08-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Exclamation About "collectible" rockets...

I've been quiet long enough. It's time for me to weigh in on this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm0202
I collect classic kits because I love model rocketry, and not for investments. One reason I bought the Defender is because we're doing a "Classic Clusters" article in the second issue of LAUNCH. But I also bought it because I had one as a kid and I wanted the original again. If Semroc reissues it, you can bet I'll buy one and fly it.

You mentioned Enerjet kits and the Centuri Little Joe II. I have some of those kits and I certainly know their value. In fact I had three Little Joe II kits (1/45th scale) up until a few weeks ago: I built one for the cover of LAUNCH. That left me with two in the box mint kits: I decided to give one as a gift to Lee Piester during NARAM because—surprisingly enough—he didn't have one.
And Mark, I thought that was one of the coolest things anybody could do. At NARCON, Lee jokingly volunteered to run off with the Little Joe II he'd signed for Bob Kaplow. Lee has a Saturn 1B on display in his #5 Hobby Bench store in Glendale, but no LJII.

Quote:
Finally, to say that you could build 45 clones of the Defender for the price paid is almost like saying to art collectors: Don't buy that Van Gogh because I know a good artist who can clone it a zillion times for the price you're going to pay. There is only one original.
And while I can't afford to pay hundreds of dollars for an original Centuri kit, you can rest assured that if I *did* find one--whether on eBay or elsewhere--I'd have to build it, just because it *was* a Centuri kit.

And if you have to clone your favorite rocket (shrug), *do it.* Have fun building and flying it.

(Old West voice) "G'wan, git!"

BTW, GH, I've got Prototype I of my "Tau Zero" design that I've just retired from flying. ("--This was even before Semroc released it as a kit!")

I'd probably let it go for a reasonable sum. As Mark pointed out, it's an original, after all.

What's "reasonable?" If somebody offers it, I'll let you know.

Cheers, and chuckling,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 08-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Victory Is Mine!

Send a message via AIM to Bruce Temple
Default Wow, big issue. My take.

I Guess in referance to vintage kits I'm a restorer, builder(open baggers), flyer, collector all in one. I also fly clones, current issue, and HPR.

I like to restore old kits when I can find a lot/kit at a good price(far less often these days). I'll build an open bag kit for flight in a heart beat though(kids love to see the old kits fly). For flying vintage, nothing like reliving the past, and even competing like they do in Texas(Don, I'll get there someday). As for my collection of mint unopened beauties. It started as just collecting the ones I had when I was a kid(I had pics of almost all of em). Then collecting all the ones I ever wanted as a kid. Now I'm almost done. What's next? What will I do with them? My thought has always been to build & fly every single one when I retire. Maybe if Social Security runs out I'll have to use em to supplement my income. It's GOOD to have options!

All in all. If you can afford it, and you enjoy it. Just do it! My two cents.

Cheers, Bruce
Old 08-22-2006, 06:57 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
(Old West voice) "G'wan, git!"

Walter Brennan, right?
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!