Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2006, 08:41 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I never had a CD kit. Only parts. I had a couple of the BT72C large body tubes, a coupler and some BT-10/15's that I used to build an EnerJet clone. I purchased those from Larry Broadbent way back in the day .....

Larry Broadbent purchased the remaining stock ( less motors, I belive due to problems getting them into Canada ) of CD.
As far as I know, Al Andrake ( AAA ) got the motors, including many prototypes such as the original F10's and a few 29mm H-I motors ( these I've seen with my own eyes, neat items ).

Larry had operated as Stargate for a while, I purchased items from him myself... although lost my Aero-Ram kit a few years back at a middle school club launch

I believe you will find the BMS BT70 HD a near match for the CD / Stargate tubing, as it'ss real close to the tubing I have left from AAA, which was made to match Cd's.

I do have one Stargate cone left - the 2.25" hollow black foam cone, very unusual.. might have to do up an Aero-Ram clone myself.

~ AL
Old 08-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
I never had a CD kit. Only parts. I had a couple of the BT72C large body tubes, a coupler and some BT-10/15's that I used to build an EnerJet clone. I purchased those from Larry Broadbent way back in the day .....

Whatever happened to Larry? I haven't seen him around the past couple of years.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 08-19-2006, 10:50 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Larry Broadbent purchased the remaining stock ( less motors, I belive due to problems getting them into Canada ) of CD.
As far as I know, Al Andrake ( AAA ) got the motors, including many prototypes such as the original F10's and a few 29mm H-I motors ( these I've seen with my own eyes, neat items ).

Larry had operated as Stargate for a while, I purchased items from him myself... although lost my Aero-Ram kit a few years back at a middle school club launch

I believe you will find the BMS BT70 HD a near match for the CD / Stargate tubing, as it'ss real close to the tubing I have left from AAA, which was made to match Cd's.

I do have one Stargate cone left - the 2.25" hollow black foam cone, very unusual.. might have to do up an Aero-Ram clone myself.

~ AL

Yes, Larry had a lot of Composite Dynamics stock. I corresponded with him via email for a while and did purchase some of his Stargate parts, included the cone you mentioned. I remember it well. I used it to build a reduced size 2650. It was dark brown, almost black in color and it looked like he poured the foam into a mold and the foam filled a tube coupler on the end of it to form the shoulder. That was the first EnerJet clone I ever built. Larry also sold plywood fins that he cut for building the reduced size 2650 clone.

I bought a lot of stuff from Al with AAA back in those days too. Mostly hardwood cones and heavy walled tubing. He was a good mail order source for composite motors and I did buy a few kits from him too.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 08-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Nice

How's your Centuri Chuter-Two sounding rocket coming? What exactly are those little "thingys" nestled at each of the joints where the fins meet the body tube?

I loved the early payloaders .....

Well, the Chuter -2 is still waiting for me to get off my arse and figure aut what to do about those thingies. Does anyone out there have instructions and templates for an early version of the kit? I'd really like to see if it matches the pic in the 67 catalogue <http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/centuri67/67cen16.html> .

Sean
Old 08-23-2006, 12:03 AM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Nice looking find -

Wish I could find some nice goodies on e*^%$#.......

Those CD cones are neat, I wish I had some left - lost my last one a few years back when it seperated from the Longstar ( which pranged )...
I still have the original fins from that, so a rebuilc could be in order ( and yes, plans to Scott soon ).

Any chance you have a spare cone, or want to loan one so I can make a mold ?

( and please send / post any cd fin patterns or info, would like to get the fin tracing and tube length for that Sonics 40 shown - iirc there were 4 kits ? Sonics 40, Sonics 80, Transonic and the Longstar ?
I;ve never owned any of the others, but lost a lot of Longstars in the day )

~ AL

I'll try to get to it this week. I STILL have to make a fin tracing of the RDC Cardinal and get that and the other specs to Scott. With any luck I'll get both done this week. As far as the CD cone, I'm thinking about making a mold and producing a couple myself. Email me offline and maybe we can go over the details.

Sean
Old 08-23-2006, 06:46 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Whatever happened to Larry? I haven't seen him around the past couple of years.

I'm not sure ..... the email address I had for him bounced back last time I tried to contact him. I was hoping to get some more parts from him.

I tried to Google a new address for him and I found where he posted to a forum called "The Bluebird Box" and I'm sure it was him because the name was spelled the same and also listed as Chatham Ontario, same as on his return address labels when I bought CD and Stargate parts from him. The post was from 2002 and had the same email address that no longer works.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates