Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 12:43 PM
BAR

Earl -

You may be aware of this already, but there was an article on flying the Cineroc in the Jan-Feb 1972 "Model Rocketry" magainze, pg-13-15, which addressed loading your own film cartridges ...

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/Mo..._(01-02)-72.pdf

May be some useful info there for you.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Rocketry is Fun.... Darn It !

Quote:
Originally Posted by raohara
At NARAM-15 (or was it 14?) I met a guy named Herb Desond.

I've always wondered what happened to Herb and his camera collection.

- Rich

Greetings:

Herb Desind was my ninth grade science teacher at Eisenhower Junior High School in Laurel Md. I joined Herb's rocket club at he end of fifth grade and yes all he flew was Cineroc's and flew them in all sorts of configurations. He once flew a three stager with a F100 staged to a F100 staged to a F100. I do not think he got that one back if memory serves. I was in charge of recovering the first stage and it tumbled into the thick underbrush of the woods west of the school. No luck with it either.

Back in the day if the weather didn't allow us to launch he would show us film of where he flew Cinerocs all over the world literally. I remember seeing one taken at the edge of a volcano in Hawaii.

Herb passed in 1990 of colon cancer. It saddened many of us that knew him. Perhaps I can get Scott Branche to chime in here as well. He also knew Herb.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsotr
Earl -

You may be aware of this already, but there was an article on flying the Cineroc in the Jan-Feb 1972 "Model Rocketry" magainze, pg-13-15, which addressed loading your own film cartridges ...

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/Mo..._(01-02)-72.pdf

May be some useful info there for you.

Tim-

Thanks for the tip. Actually, I was able to pick up a copy that particular issue some months back and have pulled it back out to re-read that article by Richard Fox. Indeed, it does provide some very good information on reloading, even though the article is pushing 40 years old.

Thanks again,

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I think any camera or video rocket today, in order to be commercially viable, must be digital (and have some sort of reliable, non-volatile storage, unlike one recent unit). Folks today, with iPhones and micro-USB connectors, want to download and watch the video/see pics while they're at the field. Not only do they not want to wait for film developing, they don't even want to wait to get home to see what they got.

So, while 35mm film is a huge improvement over 110, it's still not viable, in this day and age, IMNSHO.

Doug

Polaroid-type instant-developing film would be an option. (I recently read that polaroid-type box cameras are in development because such cameras don't require other devices, or fiddling with software-operated devices, in order to view the pictures--it's literally "point, shoot, and view.")
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 12-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
I got a Cineroc just after NARAM-50. I got it dirt cheap, but the batteries were installed and they and the battery harness were badly corroded. The rubber band on the pulley, of course, was toast, but otherwise, the rest of the camera appears to be in good shape. The main decision has to be whether to repair or attempt to replace the battery harness. Since I'm not as eager to actually run film through the camera, that decision has so far been very easy -- do nothing, and just bring it out occasionally to show people!

Roy-

I pulled the Cineroc back out and removed the new N cells from the battery holder assembly. The following company name appears on the bottom of each battery holder 'trough': Acme Model Engineering Co., Ridgefield, NJ.

There was no part number that I could see though. I haven't done any Google checks to see if these folks might still be around, but it would probably be worth a check see. Who knows, they might still be in business and may even still carry this double N cell holder that you could replace yours with.

Earl

Edit: looks like they are still in business (they've changed their name, but there are still references to 'Acme' on their web site) and still make that same dual N cell battery holder. See here: http://www.utmfg.com/product/BAT-N/130.html

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Last edited by Earl : 12-02-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Apollo Nut

Default Film Pak Contents

Here's a photo of the Flight Pak contents just as they looked moments after I opened the pak a couple weeks ago.

The two Eveready N cells only showed traces of corrosion, which is surprising considering they have got to be in the neighborhood of 37-39 years old!

Remember the "Nine Lives" logo with the cat on the old Eveready batteries?! That brought back memories of many battery-powered childhood toys powered by Eveready brand batteries.

As I mentioned in the opening post, these two batteries both showed about 1.5 volts when I tested them right after this photo was taken. They would not turn the Cineroc motor over, but they did show voltage, which also seems incredible for batteries this old.

At some point I'll open the film cartridge itself and become more familiar with it's workings towards the day I can reload it with some fresh film.

Earl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Cineroc Flight Pak_1506.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  91.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Film Pak--1495.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  78.7 KB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 12-03-2011, 10:03 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Polaroid-type instant-developing film would be an option. (I recently read that polaroid-type box cameras are in development because such cameras don't require other devices, or fiddling with software-operated devices, in order to view the pictures--it's literally "point, shoot, and view.")

Yeah, but that format doesn't lend itself well to conversion to a flying camera... it's too big and boxy... (oh sure there's plenty of HPR projects it'd fit into but I'm talking about for the average LPR/MPR modeler). You MIGHT be able to do a hammerhead on a BT-80, but the physical size is really going to be a constraint.

Unless of course one came up with their own format-- maybe "mini-pics" half the size of a standard Polaroid... but then you'd have to have someone manufacture them, and that would CERTAINLY be prohibitively expensive!

Later! OL JR
Old 12-03-2011, 10:05 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Roy-

I pulled the Cineroc back out and removed the new N cells from the battery holder assembly. The following company name appears on the bottom of each battery holder 'trough': Acme Model Engineering Co., Ridgefield, NJ.

There was no part number that I could see though. I haven't done any Google checks to see if these folks might still be around, but it would probably be worth a check see. Who knows, they might still be in business and may even still carry this double N cell holder that you could replace yours with.

Earl

Edit: looks like they are still in business (they've changed their name, but there are still references to 'Acme' on their web site) and still make that same dual N cell battery holder. See here: http://www.utmfg.com/product/BAT-N/130.html

Earl

SURE they're still in business!!! Everything the Coyote buys comes from ACME!!! (gotta get me some of those roller skis... )

Later! OL JR
Old 12-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
SURE they're still in business!!! Everything the Coyote buys comes from ACME!!! (gotta get me some of those roller skis... )

Later! OL JR

Yeah, I really had to laugh when I looked (squinting heavily...those were tiny letters etched into that battery holder metal) and could make out 'Acme'. I thought, "Well, I guess that's about as American as one could get".

I think they actually supply a lot of manufactured parts for the hobby train industry. But, I was kinda surprised to see they were still in business AND still had that same Cineroc battery holder in their product portfolio.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 12-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zog139
Greetings:

Herb Desind was my ninth grade science teacher at Eisenhower Junior High School in Laurel Md. I joined Herb's rocket club at he end of fifth grade and yes all he flew was Cineroc's and flew them in all sorts of configurations. He once flew a three stager with a F100 staged to a F100 staged to a F100. I do not think he got that one back if memory serves. I was in charge of recovering the first stage and it tumbled into the thick underbrush of the woods west of the school. No luck with it either.

Back in the day if the weather didn't allow us to launch he would show us film of where he flew Cinerocs all over the world literally. I remember seeing one taken at the edge of a volcano in Hawaii.

Herb passed in 1990 of colon cancer. It saddened many of us that knew him. Perhaps I can get Scott Branche to chime in here as well. He also knew Herb.

Jim-

Thanks for the info on Herb....interesting stories. Do you remember him stating at any point on the number of Cineroc flights he had made? Any other notable locations he had flight footage from?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions