Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2005, 09:38 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Question yes, I'm a little slow.......... Eggspress kits,etc

as per the thread title, not sure why it took me so long to see these.. never heard it posted before.

was looking for more oldies to clone ( liek I need more projects :-) . and was looking at the Enerjet Egg Crate.

now looking at the Estes Eggspress / Scrambler (3) and noting the EXACT copy.

hmm.. both use 1.34 (centuri spec) tubes, both 21.5" long, both 2,0" id payload tubes....

it's funny thinking back on the Eggspress that we sent into orbit ( Aerotech / Apogee F10-6 )

seems that I inadvertently, instead of building an ' uprated motor mount Eggspress ' - actually had built a clone of the Egg Crate :-)

hmm...... have fins for one of those, as well as remains of a capsule.... anyone have the tube length ?

goes looking fo rany leftover composite F's ......... * evil grin *

~ AL
Old 09-14-2005, 02:36 PM
GET GOONY!!

Al, I was just thumbing through the APRIL/MAT 1971 issue of Model Rocketry, and I saw an ad for the 'Hen Grenade' from Space Age Industries. I thought it would be fun to clone, yet alas, theye are no plans posted anywhere for this bird.... I did find some info in the catalog that Ninfinger has posted:

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...ceage/sai8.html

Does anyone remember this one? The model has a funny looking egg capsule and the catalog states it is 'lightweight fiber'. The tube is listed as 45mm tube (1.77") ... I guess this was a unique size? The fin pods with the cracked egg decals are priceless!!

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 09-15-2005, 01:29 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
as per the thread title, not sure why it took me so long to see these.. never heard it posted before.

was looking for more oldies to clone ( liek I need more projects :-) . and was looking at the Enerjet Egg Crate.

now looking at the Estes Eggspress / Scrambler (3) and noting the EXACT copy.

hmm.. both use 1.34 (centuri spec) tubes, both 21.5" long, both 2,0" id payload tubes....

yea, no difference except the engine mount.

Just got an extra Eggspress. I'll measure it tomorrow. My previous Eggspress suffered a cato many years ago but I still have the fins/lugs/capsule from it. I think the capsule tube length was 2" in length but I modified mine for Dual Egg at ECRM many years ago, and I don't remember if i used the stock tube or if I used a new section of ST20 to make it longer.

Roy
nar12605
Old 09-15-2005, 11:38 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
yea, no difference except the engine mount.

Just got an extra Eggspress. I'll measure it tomorrow. My previous Eggspress suffered a cato many years ago but I still have the fins/lugs/capsule from it. I think the capsule tube length was 2" in length but I modified mine for Dual Egg at ECRM many years ago, and I don't remember if i used the stock tube or if I used a new section of ST20 to make it longer.

Roy
nar12605

Roy,

thanks in advance.

all I really need is the tube lengths as noted. ( not posted on Jim's Site for the Egg Crate either ) .

I have the capsule as noted, although when I went and dug it out, seems we cut the shoulders off the two halves , to tape it together ala CMR capsules (shorter and lighter, I guess ).
Should be an easy fix with a couple short sections of .04 coupler stock and the tube ( 2" I think I heard for the 2.04 tube , still need the 1.34 length).

ECRM.. hmmm. that brings back a few memories, been a loooong time since I attended a contest down in Virginia, Mannassas battlefield .....

~ AL
Old 09-15-2005, 12:06 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Roy,

thanks in advance.

all I really need is the tube lengths as noted. ( not posted on Jim's Site for the Egg Crate either ) .

I have the capsule as noted, although when I went and dug it out, seems we cut the shoulders off the two halves , to tape it together ala CMR capsules (shorter and lighter, I guess ).
Should be an easy fix with a couple short sections of .04 coupler stock and the tube ( 2" I think I heard for the 2.04 tube , still need the 1.34 length).

ECRM.. hmmm. that brings back a few memories, been a loooong time since I attended a contest down in Virginia, Mannassas battlefield .....

~ AL

The ST20 is indeed 2.0" long, while the ST13/BT56 is 12.0"

My experience with ECRM is all modern day (well, 1990 on) at the Middletown, MD site, but I always wished I could go to the early ones that I read about in Model Rocketry and Model Rocketeer.