Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default New BAR, with a few questions...

Hi, All --

I'm a newly minted BAR, having just over the last few weeks rediscovered model rocketry after an impulse buy at Target (a cheap Estes RTF starter set -- the rocket doesn't even have a name, as near as I can tell). After the first flight, the bug had me firmly in its jaws again 25 years or so since I last messed around with this stuff. Of course, I immediately went out and bought a classic Big Bertha kit, to begin rebuilding my long-lost, long-lamented arsenal (A Goblin clone from Thrustline is waiting for me to dive in after Bertha). But I have a few questions -- I think another thread deals comprehensively with the disappointing decline of the Estes company (which I noticed right off the bat with Big Bertha, and its dumbed-down instructions) but I wonder what other changes have happened in the last 25 years?

I notice Centuri is gone, making it difficult to replace my much-loved Excalibur and Flying Saucer models, though there seem to be a lot of cottage-industry replacements filling the gap. But have other things changed as well? Like, for example, window-dressing antiterror regulations that might limit our access to motors? Places we can't fly? I just saw a 40-or-so year old photo in my old "Handbook of Model Rocketry" of rockets about to be launched on the National Mall. I can only assume the cops'll take a dim view of doing that, but what else should I be concerned about? Any guidance for a new BAR?

Thanks!

"Anybody who tries to cluster Type F motors for fun is a fool. Nobody needs that much boost." -- G. Harry Stine, Handbook of Model Rocketry, 4th Edition
Old 12-14-2006, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Hi Buckaroo and welcome. I'm sure a lot of the vendors that frequent the forum will chime in with help soon. You'll be able to find plans with templates for nearly all of your old favorites at Ye Olde Rocket Plans (http://www.oldrocketplans.com/) and Jimz (http://www.dars.org/jimz/rp00.htm). Also there are a lot of cottage shops and bigger operations that sell the parts needed to build the classics. Semroc.com is your one stop Centuri shop. Lot of classic re-releases, original kits, and SLS (Semroc Large Scale) upscales of some of the classics. Fliskits.com sell s lot of unique kits as well Estes type parts. Check out the links available at rocketshoppe.com and you'll find enough reading to keep you busy for weeks... well, at least a couple of days.

Yes, there have been a few regulatory hurdles the past 10 years or so. Yes, it started before 9/11. For the most part it mainly stifles high power rocketry (full G motor and above). I for one, feel the issues will be resolved and we'll be able to continue flying what we want, but under a watchful eye. As you begin catching up I'm sure you'll have more questions than answers. This is one of the better places to find answers.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:45 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone
Default EBay

And, like I need someone else bidding against me.....

You can always check for rocket sells on EBay. You might find one of those long lost kits from yesterday.

Oh, a cluster of Fs? Check out this launch......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  110406_14.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  71.3 KB  
Old 12-14-2006, 10:32 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo
I'm a newly minted BAR, having just over the last few weeks rediscovered model rocketry after an impulse buy at Target...

You have good impulses, Buckaroo!

Quote:
...Of course, I immediately went out and bought a classic Big Bertha kit, to begin rebuilding my long-lost, long-lamented arsenal...

Always a good model to keep in your everyday-flyers list. Don't forget to add the Alpha...

Quote:
But I have a few questions -- I think another thread deals comprehensively with the disappointing decline of the Estes company (which I noticed right off the bat with Big Bertha, and its dumbed-down instructions) but I wonder what other changes have happened in the last 25 years?

I notice Centuri is gone...

Swallowed up by Damon, at about the same time they swallowed up Estes. They were essentially the same company during the 1970's; the name still exists today as part of the Estes conglomerate. Be sure to examine the JimZ and YORP websites for the bulk of old Estes plan sheets, and add the NINFINGER files for a complete set of Estes catalogs from 1961 to 1991 (and a few beyond, but we don't exactly count these... )...

Quote:
...making it difficult to replace my much-loved Excalibur and Flying Saucer models...

As Eagle3 said, SEMROC is your one-stop-shop for all things Centuri; the good news is this company is now getting products into the Hobbytown USA chain, as well as other places. SEMROC does all of the old Centuri and Estes nose cones and other turned parts in balsa, and they're absolutely top-quality.

Quote:
...have other things changed as well? Like, for example, window-dressing antiterror regulations that might limit our access to motors? Places we can't fly? I just saw a 40-or-so year old photo in my old "Handbook of Model Rocketry" of rockets about to be launched on the National Mall. I can only assume the cops'll take a dim view of doing that, but what else should I be concerned about? Any guidance for a new BAR?

I fly at an elementary school near my home; some city parks allow it, but many are filled with baseball diamonds and other ball courts that really just get in our way. Checking with your local hobby shop owner about where his rocketry customers do their flying is a good way to find out; he wants to make new customers into regular customers, so he'll want you to get the most out of the hobby for his own sake as well as yours.

There have always been detractors to model rocketry, and today has its own share. I think, though, most folks even now recognize rocketry as a legitimate hobby, and that as long as you are "behaving yourself" -- following the safety code, not flying in a manner that becomes a nuisance to others -- they will generally either leave you alone, or they'll pull up a lounge chair and watch.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 12-14-2006, 11:36 PM
BP Mafia

Where are you located, Buck? Maybe one of us is close enough to actually SHOW you where to fly.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 12-15-2006, 08:42 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Where are you located, Buck? Maybe one of us is close enough to actually SHOW you where to fly.

Or if he goes to the NAR website at www.nar.org, he might be able to find a NAR-affiliated club nearby.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 12-15-2006, 09:19 AM
FlisKits, Inc.

Well! Welcome to YORF and welcome *back* to rocketry

You're going to love it here.

We're FlisKits ( http://fliskits.com/ )

All original designs, and some good ones too (if I do say so myself ). Also, we just came into a bunch of old (70's era) MPC 13mm kits (you can find them on our site). Check'em out

Browse around YORF, ask questions and answer some too. Get involved and you can get the most out of this great hobby!

jim

Toad's Tavern - http://toadstavern.com/
Personal site - http://jflis.com/
Old 12-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Cars, Games, Rockets Oh my

I'm just going to say welcome. This is a great time to get back into rocketry, even more so then just 5 years ago. People/Companies like Jim Flis (Fliskits), Semroc , Pdrocketry, Thrustline have made it a great and easy to build the kits of old.

So once again, Welcome.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:45 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks, everyone! In answer to a previous question, I'm in the Arlington, VA area. I've found one really good field out here at the Government Center in Fairfax, but I haven't seen a lot of other obvious places, especially for the bigger birds, which I'd like to start getting into. I'm imagining the DC area is not the best place to fly the G and higher-power rockets. Is there any place around here to do the bigger stuff?

Great photo of the clustered F's! I've always thought G. Harry's comment was amusing, akin to the widely-circulated (but unfortunately apocryphal) quote of Bill Gates saying that no one would ever need more that 640k of RAM. In this case, though, I have it from his own pen! (Not to cast any aspersions on the great G.Harry, whose name I speak with reverence)

"Anybody who tries to cluster Type F motors for fun is a fool. Nobody needs that much boost." -- G. Harry Stine, Handbook of Model Rocketry, 4th Edition

Last edited by Buckaroo : 12-15-2006 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Scale builder

" I'm imagining the DC area is not the best place to fly the G and higher-power rockets. Is there any place around here to do the bigger stuff? "

I used to live and fly in Southern MD but am now in Baltimore. I've attended a few High power launches out in Culpepper. They always have model rocket pads set up as well. Here's the link, http://www.colonialvirginiahpr.org/. A short trip across the bay bridge (MD) to the Eastern shore takes you to MD/Delaware Rocketry Assn, http://www.mdrocketry.org/. Both do a number of HPR launches a year. Additionally I think there's a NAR group flying out near NASAs Greenbelt facility, Model and mid power if memmory serves. Good luck and keep'em flying.