Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2017, 01:52 PM
Not so Junior

Well... the orbits make up the numbers "6" and "0", so is there a certain 60th anniversary that has to do with the NAR that is coming up?

kj
Old 11-06-2017, 02:11 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj
Well... the orbits make up the numbers "6" and "0", so is there a certain 60th anniversary that has to do with the NAR that is coming up?

kj

Well, I can see it, sorta, only because you mentioned it, but even then, it doens't jump out at me. And before, I looked at the orbits all sorts of ways, and didn't get "60" out of it.

If the earth orbit was in the same plane as the moon orbit, and the earth were lower, that might help, but then there's no way to put the NAR logo without looking awkward.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:20 PM
Old BAR

The NAR logo is just too large; it looks ridiculous.

Allen
Old 11-06-2017, 05:54 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
The NAR logo is just too large; it looks ridiculous.

Allen

No, I get the relative sizes of the circle and the triangle. And I'm warming up to the idea that it's a 60th anniversary patch. I.e. not a permanent change. However, if kevinj's right about the '6' and the '0', it doesn't work at all for me.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:03 AM
Not so Junior

Yeah it's subtle. Definitely playing on the Apollo 8 mission patch, and relies on drawing the eyeline from lower left to upper right by the NAR logo.

kj
Old 11-07-2017, 08:00 PM
7/21/61

I got the homage to the Apollo 8 patch, but this one looks like a liftoff from Kazakhstan, single orbit then a one way trip to a landing on the dark side of the moon.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:46 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern
The only time I regretted selling engines to Centuri was a short time in the mid 1960's. Mabel was running 24 hours a day, seven days a week and could not keep up. We had orders we could not fill, and still shared the available supply with Centuri. The problem was solved when Mabel 2 came on line.

Centuri brought a lot to the table in terms of their contribution and advancement of the hobby. Lee and Betty were our friends. We traveled together to enjoy the sights of Paris, London, New York, etc. Their may have been times when we could have taken action to harm Centuri, but I do not think it would have served us well. I have frequently said that "Centuri was an important part of our success.". Nothing makes you run faster than having someone behind you nipping at your heals.

I well remember in the early/mid 1960's receiving a box from Lee. I opened it at my desk in Penrose. Inside was a brand new Centuri full color catalog, far superior in appearance to the catalog we were using at the time. Included with the catalog was a Crying Towel. Believe me, our next catalog showed a vast improvement. Thank you Centuri! -- Vern

Pat -- Sorry if my posts are a diversion form the topic. Looking forward to your next post on MOF collection. Enjoying seeing all of the historic items in the collection. -- Vern
Like!
Old 11-07-2017, 09:55 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

The pay forward thing was championed by a guy named Mark Bundick.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:08 PM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
The pay forward thing was championed by a guy named Mark Bundick.

Actually, I was just repeating what Harry always told me. Seemed like a good principal then, and I think it still is today.
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org
Old 11-09-2017, 09:49 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNoir
Actually, I was just repeating what Harry always told me. Seemed like a good principal then, and I think it still is today.

And didn't G. Harry get it from Heinlein?