Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2017, 06:21 PM
Master Modeler

Default What New Models will you be flying at NSL 2017?

I thought I would start a thread to see what new or even older models people intend to bring to NSL this year down in New Mexico. This will be the first National launch I have attended outside of Pueblo.

The first model I am working on is a BT-20 size Scissor Wing Transport. It's all built but I still need to apply a couple coats of clear dope and a light coat of White Paint. I"ll print up a set of decals on my ink jet printer. It will fly on A10-3T motors.

The second model is a Scratch Built sport scale model of a Door Knob Sounding Rocket. The nose cone came from an Estes Maxi Brute V2 rocket. The body tube is or course a BT-101 to match the cone. The fins have a center through the wall part made out of 3mm birch plywood with a layer of 1/16" bass wood on both sides. The leading edge of the fins are tapered to a point. As seen in the photo it weighs 16.4 ounces. Ready to fly it should be around 20 ounces. It has a 29mm motor mount so I plan on flying it with Estes F15-4 motors and low impulse F composite motors.

I've got others planed as well and I'll post them as they come together.

I look forward to seeing what others will be flying at NSL.

John Boren
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Scissor Wing Transport.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  121.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Door Knob Painted.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  146.4 KB  
Old 03-21-2017, 06:27 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
I"ll print up a set of decals on my ink jet printer.
More details of what printer, stock and graphics program?
Old 03-21-2017, 07:17 PM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Wow, that doorknob is beautiful.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:36 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

That BT-20 based Scissor-Wing Transport looks really cool.
I bet it would turn in some really good times if you could find some old Centuri B4-2M mini-motors or MPC B3-3M 13mm motors.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-21-2017, 09:59 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

I'm taking a Hermes and an Aries scale rockets. The Hermes is ready; The Aries needs a lot of painting. They are both BT-80 size. I haven't decided what else, but my sons and I will probably take our Big Berthas just for the shear joy of flying them.

Everyone should have a Bertha to fly until it's worn out.

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 03-21-2017, 11:24 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

The one new rocket I have that causes me some concern due to the rough field is my Semroc Mars Lander, but I'll bring it and decide once there. I'll try to prime and paint my upscaled Orbital Transport now that weather is nice, and fly it. Since I took this picture, I've replaced the plastic nose cone with a more accurate balsa nose cone. My other possible new model is an upscaled Estes Saros. Here is the nose cone I just turned, next to my 41 year old Saros. Finally, my Double Mini Max.

I have a V-2 with 1 flight on it I'll take for the V-2 mass launch. I guess that makes it "sorta new".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_0950.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  59.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0144.JPG
Views: 76
Size:  264.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0242.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  1.07 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1036.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  965.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1696.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  1.40 MB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-21-2017, 11:51 PM
Master Modeler

Default V2

I started putting my 1/7 scale V2 back together a couple weeks ago. At one of the Pueblo National events I flew it and the nose section separated from the fin unit and parachute. It fell from about 3000 ft. It did quite a bit of damage to the all fiberglass part. I have since fix it but it still needs a lot of sanding and primer before it will be ready for paint. I wasn't going to fly it at NSL, just have it on display.

Since I really wanted to fly a V2 in the mass launch I started building a Estes Maxi Brute V2. I strengthened the fins by adding a mixture of epoxy resin and chopped fiberglass along the entire inside seam. These fins aren't going to crack or split apart. I then added a fillet of epoxy resin and micro balloons to the fillet area to make it all nice and smooth. That's were my problem started. The resin never really dried so it took me a couple days to mechanically remove it by scrapping the entire area. It's ready for primer now so I'm back on track to get it done. The one upgrade I will be adding to the model will be to install a 29mm motor tube.

The image below shows the size comparison of the Maxi Brute and my old molded fiberglass Scratch built Model.

John Boren
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  2 V2.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  175.7 KB  
Old 03-22-2017, 12:27 AM
Master Modeler

I'll probably bring too many models, just as I did to NSL 2013 in Pueblo. A partial list of what is planned:

My wife and I will be bringing Big Berthas done up in the colors/mascots of our respective New Mexico High Schools, Carlsbad for her and Shiprock for me. Hers is built and has flown a number of times. I have two BBs (one with a 24mm mount) partially done. The 18mm mount one will get the Chieftains treatment.

I will have an Estes Star Orbiter for use in the Sierra Blanca challenge - using F15-8s until I get close to the cumulative 12,003 foot goal. The last motor will be chosen (and adapted down if needed) to get me close but be sure I'm under. I'm building two since the one I'd planned to bring was taken out by a CATO'd E16-6 a few weeks ago .

An Estes V-2 for the mass launch (the current BT-80 kit - opened but not started yet). I'm dithering about whether to go scale-size on the fins or not, and also the livery.

BT-60-based upscales of the original configuration Astron Alpha (to commemorate 50 years of Astron Alphas) and also the Semroc Aphelion (just because I like that design and have been meaning to upscale it for some time). The upscale Aphelion doesn't exist yet, though the main thing will be cutting the interestingly-shaped fins. Both of these will have 24mm mounts. I'm sure I'll have at least a couple of Alphas in their standard size as well with a Golden Anniversary livery of some kind. The big Alpha and two normal-sized ones got base paint this evening.

Fliskits Tiberius - whimsical old-time sci-fi style design (not started yet)

Estes Solar Warrior (this one had the base paint coat shot this evening) just because it's a cool design

Some existing models I'll bring: Estes Nova Payloader, Semroc Starship Excalibur, Enerjet 1340 clone (based on an Eliminator kit), Estes Super Nova....

There may be more - the stretch goal is to get an NCR North Hawk built and tested but it's down a ways in the queue right now. I have the kit and the radio bits, but that's as far as I've gotten.

I'm considering bringing something larger - my 256% upscale Nova Payloader which came to Pueblo for NARAM in 2014 or one of the PSII builder's kits - Mega DRM, Ventris or Leviathan - but that will depend on room in the car for the road trip.

It occurs to me that I should take a drive down the Chehalis Junction Hobbies and pick out a USR kit to build for this event as well....

Enough for now.....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-22-2017, 07:36 AM
Craftsman

@JumpJet: Magnificent work on the downscale Scissor-Wing!
Old 03-22-2017, 07:46 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
That BT-20 based Scissor-Wing Transport looks really cool.
I bet it would turn in some really good times if you could find some old Centuri B4-2M mini-motors or MPC B3-3M 13mm motors.

I have a couple of boxes of B4-2's. I might have to build one of those mini-SWT's....