Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > For Sale
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2017, 06:29 AM
Old School Rocketeer

Default How to sell large collection ?

Ok, I'm trying to figure out how to sell a pretty large collection of model rockets. I've got some built, some not, probably 200+ engines from mini to D's, and some very nice vintage stuff including a very very nice and clean Estes Electro Launch set. I probably should list that on Ebay. It'll really take you back, it's so nice. I'd like to sell all this as a package. I'm in Northeast Florida area. Anyone have ideas ?

I will try to post some pictures, or I can email a few. I'll get a list going too.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:59 AM
Old School Rocketeer

Default Here are some pictures

Just some quick ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0686.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  1.18 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0688.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  148.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  FullSizeRender - Copy (2).jpg
Views: 132
Size:  135.9 KB  
Old 03-25-2017, 07:59 AM
Craftsman

Luckily you happen to live in a populated area and there are like minded hobbyist.

I would suggest using the forum page you originally posted on first,
Second a local rocket launch gathering
Third - Craigslist
and last ebay .
ebay will draw you a larger crowd but the selling fees will make you wish you had not used them.

Rocket motors are "against ebay selling policies" (even though there are hundreds listed - large lots always seem to get shut down) My theroy is who ever gets outbid turns them in hoping for another relisting. My daughter in California bought me a huge lot of motors several months ago and the seller had tried ebay numerous times but his auctions always got shut down in the last day.

You have some great stuff and if I lived close I would be interested myself. Good luck but also sad to see you wanting to sell your collection.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:17 AM
Dazed and Confused

Old 03-25-2017, 10:08 AM
Incurable Model Rocketeer

Send a message via Yahoo to DeanHFox

That is an absolutely beautiful Alpha...looks just like mine, 50 years ago. Came with my Electrolaunch, too!
NAR #53946SR

---- "Wherever you go, there you are"
Old 03-25-2017, 01:05 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I feel the opposite on ebay.

1) You most likely will only get maximum value if you sell on ebay, although the fees can be high. This has far more exposure than Craigslist or even a Rocketry forum such as this one.

2) Built rockets are worth next to NOTHING compared to sealed kits.

3) The collection will make far more $$$ sold INDIVIDUALLY instead of one large lot.

4) Old Estes diamond-pack engines are only worth quite a bit if they are engines no longer available. If you have any of the following engines they command premium prices- Any 18mm 'shorties', A5-x, B14-x, D13-x, 1/2A6-0 or -4, B4-6, 1/2A3-0T, A3-2T, A3-6T, A3-0T.
If you have common A8-3/B6-4/C6-5's in diamond paks, they are worth next to nothing over current production.

The one thing that TOTALLY SUCKS about ebay is that they will not allow you to sell "as is, where is" with no warranty. Even if you state that in your auction, they will refund the buyer if they whine enough no matter the circumstances and WILL debit your paypal account even though they are now speparate entities. That's why I will not allow Paypal payment on my auctions anymore. I got ripped off on a $250.00 sale that way. I only accept Money Orders and CASH now with ALL risk on buyer.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-25-2017, 02:41 PM
Old School Rocketeer

I'm sure you're right about Ebay, I wasn't looking for maximum dollars as much as a balance between that and convenience ! Lol

I do have a few of those mini's. I'd have to dig it all again to tell you exactly what.

My built rockets are pretty nice, if I do say myself !

Some kits are vintage. I'm telling you the Electro Launch belongs in a museum. It's unfired and the sticker hasn't even been applied. And it's in the old school Launch Box that's in really nice shape, with the Alpha Rocket in a sealed kit. Did you notice the pack of Ray-O-Vac "photoflash" batteries ? Anybody remember having to use those ?

The Library of Model Rocket News is such a blast from the past too. Heck, I'm about to talk myself out of selling that stuff. Somebody make me an offer quick !!
Old 03-25-2017, 05:13 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I definitely think your built rockets look nice...that said, built rockets never sell for much.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-25-2017, 06:45 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeCrenshaw
I'm sure you're right about Ebay, I wasn't looking for maximum dollars as much as a balance between that and convenience ! Lol

I do have a few of those mini's. I'd have to dig it all again to tell you exactly what.

My built rockets are pretty nice, if I do say myself !

Some kits are vintage. I'm telling you the Electro Launch belongs in a museum. It's unfired and the sticker hasn't even been applied. And it's in the old school Launch Box that's in really nice shape, with the Alpha Rocket in a sealed kit. Did you notice the pack of Ray-O-Vac "photoflash" batteries ? Anybody remember having to use those ?

The Library of Model Rocket News is such a blast from the past too. Heck, I'm about to talk myself out of selling that stuff. Somebody make me an offer quick !!

Possibly a 'middle road' approach would be to list here maybe 30 or so of the kits/items that you think might be of most interest, and the price you'd like to get for them, and your prefered method of payment. It would not cost you a dime to list them here.

Then, depending on response, either list more here (if they do well), or if not, shift to ebay or whatever other mechansim you might want to try.

But you have really nohing to loose by at least doing a 'test' list here. I for one would like to see a sampling of the Centuri items you might have.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-25-2017, 06:46 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I definitely think your built rockets look nice...that said, built rockets never sell for much.

Sadly, this is true...

Later! OL J R