Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Default Need a little history

Ok, so I was preparing to list some old rockets I found on ebay, and as I normally do, I went looking to identify one rocket that I did not know the origin of. Only thing is, I did not find it in the old catalogs on Ninfinger. Perhaps I missed it, or perhaps if is from a differeint comapny or scratch built. SO I am aking if anyone can identify it, not for my ad, but just for my own personal knowledge. I like to learn.

It is an Aerobee Hi by Aerojet. It has a flexible rubber nose cone with a plastic insert in the bottom. I recently sold another cone like that in a batch of old cones I sold. The rocket is approximately BT-20 by 13". Photo attached.

I am really curious who made the kit. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  aerobee hi 1.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  647.1 KB  

I hate rules.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:38 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsas

It is an Aerobee Hi by Aerojet. It has a flexible rubber nose cone with a plastic insert in the bottom. I recently sold another cone like that in a batch of old cones I sold. The rocket is approximately BT-20 by 13". Photo attached.

I am really curious who made the kit. Thanks.

It looks like an original Model Missiles Inc. (MMI) Aerobee Hi, with the vinyl nose. That airframe would be about 0.825" in diameter (the present Semroc clone version), and once the MMI inventory passed to Estes that airframe would become their BT-40. Estes sold the BT-40 and related parts for scratchbuilding, but never based a kit on the MMI parts.
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 08-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
It looks like an original Model Missiles Inc. (MMI) Aerobee Hi, with the vinyl nose. That airframe would be about 0.825" in diameter (the present Semroc clone version), and once the MMI inventory passed to Estes that airframe would become their BT-40. Estes sold the BT-40 and related parts for scratchbuilding, but never based a kit on the MMI parts.

Well now, that would be interesting. Perhaps I should hold off on the listing until I find out for sure. Do you happen to know if there are any articles explaining the details of the rocket construction? For instance, the shock cord is rubber and mounted through a slit in the airframe. The airframe measure od .82"and is convolute wound, not spiral. Looks as if it could be hand rolled, only because it is very thick when compared with a typical tube today.

I hate rules.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:05 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsas
Well now, that would be interesting. Perhaps I should hold off on the listing until I find out for sure. Do you happen to know if there are any articles explaining the details of the rocket construction? For instance, the shock cord is rubber and mounted through a slit in the airframe. The airframe measure od .82"and is convolute wound, not spiral. Looks as if it could be hand rolled, only because it is very thick when compared with a typical tube today.

The Aerobee Hi was the first kit MMI produced; the second was the Arcon, and the instructions for this model can be found here:

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/mmi/mmi002/mmi002.pdf

It used the same nose and airframe as the Aerobee Hi. You can read a little more about the history of the Aerobee Hi and MMI here:

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/pubs/...8_AmMod_MMI.pdf

While convolute wound, I seriously doubt the MMI airframe was hand rolled; MMI had to gear up for production to service the rapid influx of orders, and no doubt this part of the operation was outsourced, just as the manufacturing of their rocket motors was.
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 08-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
The Aerobee Hi was the first kit MMI produced; the second was the Arcon, and the instructions for this model can be found here:
<snip>

Thanks for the links. I am very familiar with the history, but not with the construction. I have read the article (actually have a copy somewhere). Looking at the instructions it appears I may well have an original. Still not sure. The nose cone is right and everything looks right, including dimension. If true, it is a neat find. Just dropped in my lap. The scout in the same photo looks to be very old, but it is also in poor shape. The Aerobee is in nice condition except for the broken shock cord.

Now to figure out how I can validate it.

I hate rules.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Apollo Nut

It would appear to be an aithentic MMI Aerobee. Decals look very much like those on the 50th anniversary version Bill Stine of Quest issued 5-6 years ago of his dad Harry original MMI Aerobee, including exact duplicate instructions from the original kit.

Perhaps an email to Bill at Quest with a few photos might render a truly informed and 'expert' opinion as to whether it is truly an MMI original. It certainly looks to fit the bill at this point.

I have a VERY early Centuri kit (like from around '63 or so) and it has a convolute tube which is not as nicely made and 'clean' as the spiral wound tubes we are so used to today.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 08-11-2012, 02:16 AM
7/21/61

Harold,

It is, indeed, an original Model Missiles Aerobee Hi.

See the following thread for more details: MMI Aerobee Hi Starter Kit 001A
Old 08-11-2012, 06:02 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Did the Quest kit use the old vinyl nose cone? If not, that should clinch it for sure.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:42 AM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Harold,

It is, indeed, an original Model Missiles Aerobee Hi.

See the following thread for more details: MMI Aerobee Hi Starter Kit 001A

That clinches it. The rocket (which I obtained in a collection I purchased) came with the cradle that is pictured in the photo of your kit. One of the long balsa strips was cracked, so I glued it, but I remember thinking it was a very detailed cradle. Not the normal square balsa end with a v-cut. It seemed to fit the model really well. Now I know why...

Earl, great idea about Bill Stine. Maybe he can help me place a value on it.

Thanks to all. Very exciting.

I hate rules.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:55 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Bill has the start of a museum going. Perhaps the right thing is to give it to Bill and take donations to offset your costs and lost commercial opportunity.

Historical Jerry